Coworker with hair loss. Should I get involved?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Notcoolanymore
    • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Jcm800
    You're right. I notice a lot of anti Fin comments cine from guys still in the comfort zone so to speak. As I have been. But getting more and more comments is alarming and hurting too often these days.
    True story: I went to see my grandmother about 5 months ago. She is not your typical grandmother, all nice and sweet, she says what is on her mind. Well during my last visit she turned to my sister and said: "I thought you said (my name omitted) was bald, he doesn't look that bad". They actually were discussing my hair loss behind my back.

Comment

• PatientlyWaiting
      • Jan 2011

I think hair loss is very personal. If some one wants to do something about it they would start researching from the bottom, by them self. I started with Procerin, then Rogaine, then Propecia, then ******* 15% minoxidil, then generic fin, then generic minox, dutasteride and finally FUE in a couple of months. I did this all by myself, as far as doing my own research. Of course I wasn't really "alone", I had a lot of support and advice from the forums. But in the end what I mean by doing it on my own is that signed up on my own and invested time in reading a thousand threads throughout 4 different forums.

I told one person about Propecia and Rogaine, who is my best friend. I explained the details to him and he blew it off and said he won't use those drugs. He was afraid when I said first your hair will shed to come back stronger. He is now completely bald at 25 years old, I think he's a NW6. I'm never telling any one about it again unless it's on a hairloss forum or the person seems serious about trying hair loss drugs out.

Comment

• PatientlyWaiting
        • Jan 2011

In other words, if a person approaches me about their hair loss and seems affected by it and expresses their frustration to me, then I will give that person advice.

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
          • Jun 2013

Originally posted by PatientlyWaiting
          In other words, if a person approaches me about their hair loss and seems affected by it and expresses their frustration to me, then I will give that person advice.
          Thanks guys, I really appreciate all of your input on this. I think I will hold off on saying anything to him. Maybe he will notice that I have grown some hair back and ask me about it. It sounds like it is better if he initiates any hair loss dialogue.

Comment

• UK_
            • Feb 2011

There are no decent options in treating hair loss, finasteride is a shitty drug that ruined my life, it's essentially chemical castration, it targets a host of other enzymes that play a part in the production of dozens of essential hormones and neurosteroids involved in proper sexual function. Merck wants you to believe finasteride is just 5AR inhibition and nothing else, that's complete bullshit, and all the new research is proving it.

The guy at your workplace is probably smart enough to understand that sacrificing healthy sexual function for a full head of hair is an idiotic choice. Finasteride doesnt just impact sexual function, neurosteroids and chemicals in the brain are also altered, I personally felt like a brain-dead depressed zombie in the weeks I was consuming that poison, and I've never been the same since, my visual spatial and mathematical ability were also far superior before I took the drug, I used to be a real quick thinker, on the ball, and since Finasteride, the brain fog and slow thought process hasnt really left. It's a horrid drug for old men with prostate cancer and BPH. STAY AWAY.

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
              • Jun 2013

UK, I am sorry finasteride screwed you up. I really am. I am not going to give you the usual crap that I give you anti fin guys, because what has happened to you is serious stuff and can happen to anyone. I also agree that the treatment options available are garbage. I hate the fact that I have to take this crap for the rest of my life. I hate drugs of all types and would rarely even use aspirin.

But like I mentioned in a thread earlier today, if you were to approach me 15 years ago (when I still had a good amount of hair), and told me the only thing that could possibly save my hair was fin, I would say I would rather go bald. Today, being faced with a reflection that I am unsatisfied with, I feel I have no other choice but to at least give fin a try and see what it can do for me. Hopefully I don't have the same issues that you have had.

I hear what you are saying though. If I had sexual sides I would be one pissed off guy too.

Comment

• Morbo
                • Jan 2012

Basically what PatientlyWaiting said. I think hairloss is something very personal. I don't like people intruding on my hairloss 'problem', so unless they would specifically ask me for my opinion I would never comment on theirs.

I happen to have two new collegues at work who are 21 and 22 years old, who I get along with very well, and coincidently they both have severe thinning at the back of their head (you know the 'monk' haircut). I haven't commented on it and I probably never will. They probably have family members who made them aware of it, reminding them again will just be hurtful.

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
                  • Jun 2013

If he asks for help I will give it. If not, I will keep my mouth shut. The majority have spoken.

If a guy who was fighting hair loss came up to me and gave me advice, I would not be offended, but that is just me.

Comment

• UK_
                    • Feb 2011

This industry is absolute garbage, there's literally NOTHING going on at the moment, since Aderans died everything has gone quiet, just a bit of news from Follica but everything has gone to shit.

2015 was the year that everyone was saying we will have a better treatment, 2010 I remember everyone was raving about Acell etc, 5 years are nearly up, only 10 months left and look... we have been let down AGAIN.

It will forever be like this, its always "5 years away", to the newcomers to this site, DONT expect there to be a better treatment in 5 years, DONT make our mistake.

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
                      • Jun 2013

Originally posted by UK_
                      This industry is absolute garbage, there's literally NOTHING going on at the moment, since Aderans died everything has gone quiet, just a bit of news from Follica but everything has gone to shit.

2015 was the year that everyone was saying we will have a better treatment, 2010 I remember everyone was raving about Acell etc, 5 years are nearly up, only 10 months left and look... we have been let down AGAIN.

It will forever be like this, its always "5 years away", to the newcomers to this site, DONT expect there to be a better treatment in 5 years, DONT make our mistake.
                      This is a damn shame, but it's the truth. I have gone back and started listening to The Bald Truth on youtube. They have shows since 2011 where they mention various treatments that are "a couple of years away" or sooner. 2014 and still nothing.

Some people around here get pissed because I defend/recommend fin. I have admitted many times that it sucks, but it is the only thing we have besides minox which isn't the greatest treatment. Take those away and we pretty much have nothing but snake oil. Which sadly many people are still trying. I bet the coworker that I have mentioned in this thread has tried some kind of snake oil. Looks like he said screw it and finally buzzed his hair.

Comment

• 25 going on 65
                        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Notcoolanymore
                        Interesting point about possibly using the "help" against me. Didn't think about that. I probably should think about making it known that I take hair loss drugs. I will probably be known as the guy taking propecia that suffers from ED.

I remember that thread you started. Surprised that guy still works there since you said he is a poor performer.
                        His performance is not his problem

Comment

• Hicks
                          • Apr 2013

I wish I took before pictures of me when I started the big 3. I'm 15 months out and there it's a big difference. I would casual say to person X "Hey man, check this out! 15 months on the Big 3. Pretty amazing stuff".

I told my trainer I would be off 2 weeks for my HT. Told HER about the big 3 and she was skeptical. I forward her the link to Bernstein Medical of before and after from medication.

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
                            • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Hicks
                            I wish I took before pictures of me when I started the big 3. I'm 15 months out and there it's a big difference. I would casual say to person X "Hey man, check this out! 15 months on the Big 3. Pretty amazing stuff".

I told my trainer I would be off 2 weeks for my HT. Told HER about the big 3 and she was skeptical. I forward her the link to Bernstein Medical of before and after from medication.
                            I keep pics on my phone just in case the topic ever comes up.

Comment

• DAVE52
                              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by ryan555
                              Are you being serious? No, you should not approach him about his hair loss. He might not care at all, in which case you will be perceived as nosy and rude. If he is self conscious about it, he doesn't want you bringing attention to it. He has the Internet, if he's worried about it there is a plethora of publicly available information for him to find on his own.
                              +1
                              The fact the guy buzzed his head shows that he knows he has a problem and he's dealt with it .
                              Don't bring it up
                              Taking the " big 3 " as people like to say isn't going to bring his hair back to the way it was .

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
                                • Jun 2013

Originally posted by DAVE52
                                +1
                                The fact the guy buzzed his head shows that he knows he has a problem and he's dealt with it .
                                Don't bring it up
                                Taking the " big 3 " as people like to say isn't going to bring his hair back to the way it was .
                                After reading the point of view from all you guys, I just decided to leave it alone. If he asks me for info, I will let him know what I know. Other wise I won't bring it up. Who knows, him buzzing his head might be his way of just saying "screw it" and moving on with this life.

Comment

Working...