+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by fred970 View Post
    One of my closest friends is 24 years old, in the space of a few years, he developed a lot of wrinkles, especially around his eyes.

Yet he has a full head of hair and isn't on minoxidil.

That's why that kind of topic disturbs me, as soon as this "minoxidil inhibits collagen" was plastered everywhere on the hair loss forums in like 2004-2005, people have been blaming minoxidil for wrinkles that would have naturally occurred with age.

People had been using minoxidil for hair loss since 1988, yet no one has ever complained until recently. Make the connection.
    The person who I saw first complaining about it was back around 2000 or 2001 on usenet (aka google groups). And not everyone says it causes wrinkles per se but other things like puffy eyelids and circles under your eyes. Yes it could be a coincidence, that's why I decided to find out for myself .

Take clear photos every 6 months and compare. It helps to get some objective results.

Many things can increase the appearance of wrinkles... lack of sleep, loss of weight, long term stress/anxiety/depression, dry skin.

I was getting a bit paranoid about this last year when I woke up one day, looked in the mirror, and felt I looked way older. I suspected minox, but when I thought about it objectively I realised that I was ticking all the boxes of weight loss, lack of sleep, disturbed mood, high stress, etc. The kicker was when I happened to see some photos from a year earlier and noticed all the wrinkles that I was suddenly so worried about. Lol, it seemed I had the wrinkles for much longer than I realised... I've since started taking melatonin and inositol/GABA each night and my sleep has greatly improved, which in turn improved my mood and improved my ability to deal with stress, and I think it perhaps has improved the look of my face, but either way it doesn't bother me as much, probably because I'm sleeping and mood is generally better...

But I stopped taking minox for the past few weeks anyway because I didn't feel like it was making a difference to my hair and was just drying my hair out and making it brittle. The quality of my hair has greatly improved, my scalp looks better, and I don't have to mess around with minox anymore...

Most of these are anecdotal self-reports, there are no proper human studies, unfortunately. Nonetheless I will add to the anecdotal reports and say that I indeed developed a wrinkle during the 3 months I was on Rogaine, with addition to bags/dark circles under my eyes. This of course doesn't imply a cause but it does make one wonder because I am so young to have this happen. I suppose I was just not very lucky with Rogaine at all--it accelerated my baldness and left me with an intense itch on my scalp that doesn't cease. I can only hope that after some more months of being off the stuff I return to normal.

Been using Minoxidil for 7 months now.

Yes, I got some wrinkles around my eyes and some very light dark spots under my eyes. Plus, my skin looks very unlively when I'm on it.

However, it doesn't look very terrible or noticable. I notice it because I examine my face closely everyday.

And I took a break for a couple of weeks. And my skin and wrinkles started to decrease, so the effects are not permanent it seems (However, I did suffer from increased shedding after the break and decided to get back on.)