+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

True dude....I wish I got on dut before my hairline reached nw2.5, hope now I will stay above a nw3 atleast.

Quote Originally Posted by fred970 View Post
    Minoxidil inhibits collagen, that's true, but it has never been proved to cause wrinkles.

Age spots have nothing to do with collagen synthesis.

I don't say that enough: stop scaring the newbies.
    I don't know much about minoxidil (never have used it) but inhibiting collagen production can cause wrinkles..

Every time I have used it I have got dark circles around my eyes, facial bloating, and only what I can describe as hardened skin. Also heart palpitations. This has reversed for me the multiple times I tried it but took awhile. So yes it does cause it in some people.

Well I'll be damn. I have been using minoxidil for a few months. Woke up one day , and said" where did these dark circles come from?" . I thought it was allergies, but it appears minoxidil is the culprit. that's another crappy side effect i can add to my list.

Minoxidil has been found to inhibit gene expression of the enzyme lysyl hydroxylase which is involved in the production of collagen, so it can reduce collagen and increase wrinkles and skin aging

People can repeat endlessly that minoxidil causes wrinkles, it will never make it true.

It will be when a study proves it. Until then, it will only be people who think they've seen something on an internet forum.

People can repeat endlessly that minoxidil causes wrinkles, it will never make it true.

It will be when a study proves it. Until then, it will only be people who think they've seen something on an internet forum.
    There are literally boat loads of studies dating all the way back to the 80's that have shown minoxidil inhibits lysyl hydroxylase and as a consequence inhibits collagen production, this is from 1992:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Characterization of a Partial cDNA for Lysyl Hydroxylase from Human Skin Fibroblasts; Lysyl Hydroxylase mRNAs Are Regulated Differently by Minoxidil Derivatives and Hydralazine.

Source: Journal of Investigative Dermatology . Dec92, Vol. 99 Issue 6, p864-869. 6p.
    Author(s): Yeowell, Heather N.; Ha, Van; Walker, Linda C.; Murad, Saood; Pinnell, Sheldon R.
    Subject Terms: *SKIN diseases *FIBROBLASTS *ANTISENSE DNA *MESSENGER RNA *MINOXIDIL *HYDRALAZINE *DERMATOLOGY

Abstract: Lysyl hydroxylase (LH) is an essential enzyme in collagen biosynthesis that catalyzes the formation of hydroxylysine required for intermolecular crosslinking of collagen. We have isolated a partial (2.2-kb) cDNA for LH from human skin fibroblasts using PCR. DNA sequencing revealed 72% homology of the human coding sequence with the chick LH sequence at the nucleotide level and 76% homology predicted at the amino acid level. The LH cDNA hybridized strongly with two mRNA species of 2.4 and 3.4 kb on Northern blots of normal fibroblast RNA. Administration of minoxidil decreased both mRNA species without affecting levels of the mRNAs for the β subunit of prolyl 4-hydroxylase (PH) or α1(I) collagen. Two derivatives of minoxidil (3' hydroxyminoxidil and 4' hydroxyminoxidil) produced similar decreases in LH mRNAs. In contrast hydralazine increased the mRNAs for LH in parallel with its previously reported effect on the mRNA for the β subunit of PH. This effect is accompanied by virtual elimination of the α1(I) collagen mRNAs. These results on the action of minoxidil and hydralazine at the pretranslational level correlate well with their previously reported effect on enzyme activity and collagen biosynthesis and indicate that changes in steady-state mRNA levels can account directly for changes at the protein level. Moreover, the unique action of minoxidil in specifically decreasing LH mRNAs contrasts with the less specific stimulatory effects of hydralazine and suggests that these pharmaceuticals arc regulating expression of LH at a pretranslational level by different mechanisms.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do a simple Google scholar search and you will find a ton of studies that show it reduces collagen production

The worrying thing to me about using propecia or any drug is we will never fully study all aspects that could be affected by using it so we might not ever have answers to lots of weird things that could happen to someone after using it for 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by burtandernie View Post
    The worrying thing to me about using propecia or any drug is we will never fully study all aspects that could be affected by using it so we might not ever have answers to lots of weird things that could happen to someone after using it for 15 years.
    Yeah, what happens in 10 years or whenever, and you need to cease taking it for whatever reason.. I'm understanding some men experience a post Finasteride crash.. It's a scary roll of the dice embarking on a lifelong commitment to that drug.

But you admitted "Minoxidil inhibits collagen, it's true", and collagen reduction causes wrinkles.