Having a HT and going back to work??? - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Default Having a HT and going back to work???

Hello all,

I was hoping for some advice from some of you that have already had your transplant.

I am getting close to taking the plunge after thinking about an HT for the last few years and reading this forum. I will be using the strip method and I am getting about 3000 - 3200 Grafts.

I currently work in an office and wonder how some of you have handled going back to work after a HT. I don't have the option of a hat at work. I will be on vacation for about a week, but I am sure it will be noticeable when I go back to work.

I would love to get some feedback from some of you. Did you tell your coworkers ahead of time or not say anything a deal with it as the subject comes up? If you told them what was said and what was the reaction?

Thanks,

Choose a famous celebrity who has had a hair transplant from whichever country you are from - for instance Wayne Rooney. Come back to the office and tell everyone with a smile on your face that you "have done a Rooney!" or "you have done a ______!"

If you make a joke about it and have a "if its good enough for this celebrity then its good enough for me" attitude then people will be impressed and will laugh about it with you. Last thing you want to do is keep quiet about it and have people gossiping and laughing behind your back.

Thumbs up

I agree with GuyFromUK,be honest about it from the beginning and it will be a huge weight off your shoulders.I always had the luxury of wearing a ball hat as I am a blue-collar worker but I can tell you there is no way i could have hid it,even with the week vacation I took!The scar can be hidden nicely but my frontal hairline was red for 3 months as I am fair skinned! Its your money and your head and you have nothing to be ashamed about so good luck on your journey! Is your Dr going to soak the grafts in ATP before implanting?This would probably speed up your result as the grafts have a better chance of taking root and growing instead of the usual shedding and then regrowth.I would ask about it,I know if I have any more work done I want to use this method, as well as PRP beforehand to set the stage for growth.Much luck and remember its not a sprint,its a marathon!!

I worked in a pretty stuffy office were "business casual" meant dress pants, a button down shirt, and leather shoes. Not tie or jacket required, but it would not go amiss. UGGGGG.

What i did was tell the boss a little white lie. I am fair skinned and told the boss I had to have a small growth removed from the top of my head-- sun damage, etc. I said it wasn't serious, and that it was an elective procedure. It was just that there was a possibility of it turning in to something more serious down the road if not removed.

I had some hair on the top of my head so I could get away with saying this.

I also said I would need an area shaved and that the top of my head might be red and a little raw for a few weeks.

I asked about the possibility of working from home for a week or so after my "vacation" but they weren't too keen on that. I then floated the idea I was after in the first place: how about wearing a baseball cap for a few weeks after I returned?

The boss was very agreeable to that and said it was an ideal solution. I said it would much less distracting than running around with a red, raw scalp for a few weeks. He agreed and sent me off with a joke and wished me good luck.

Anyway, it all worked out. Being fair skinned, the cover story was an easy sell. After 10 days I came back wearing my met hat and it was no big deal. I wore it for about 10 days.

I was lucky as that I did not have to shave down for my procedure. I have hair in the back and high on my sides-- very high. I was able to actually part my hair on the side and comb it without it looking like a swoop-- after adding a little pro thik. I was lucky that way in that I could frame my face. It was thin and it looked like I was losing my hair, but it was a long way from the guy who grows the hair above his ear a mile long and then swoops it over the top.

They took the strip from the back as usual but I did not have to shave down. The target area was completely clear I did not not have to have a shave down. After three weeks, I was able wear my usual style. So the grafts were under cover.

I joked around and took some ribbing because of my favorite team, but that was it.

I didn't like to tell a story, but I figured it was no ones business but mine. I just needed to wear a hat for two weeks.

Anyway, that's how I did it and it worked.

Hal

Thank you for the comments, it is helpful.

Regards,

I work in a pretty small office. Only 4 other employees, but then we have about 30 others in the warehouse. I went in and had a HT 5 months ago and about a week before I had the procedure I told my coworkers in the office. They were very nice about it although I'm pretty sure one of them told the guys in the warehouse. I was embarrassed at first because a couple of the warehouse workers asked me what I had done but once you get it out the way you'll feel better.

If you can't wear a hat trust me they will know. The cool thing was that I was able to wear a hat so I wore one every day until about 3 weeks ago. (Now I got hair to style ). Besides that I shaved my head down to a 1 guard a couple weeks after the surgery which helped the effect besides the big ass scar in the back of my head which was noticeable. Since then the scar has faded quite a bit and I have had crazy growth the past month and a half.

I like the idea the first post mentioned about naming a celebrity that had it done. Many people don't realize how many celebrities and famous people actually had a HT.

My best advise is to be confident in your decision and it won't be so bad whether who knows or not. Best of luck to you and I hope to hear about your success!

Could not agree more and if the individual displays that they are self-conscious about others knowing, some may take advantage of it and begin the teasing and even sneering.

The best thing to do is keep it to yourself if you are self-conscious about it and even if others find out, don't show your frustration and allow them to have a hey-day with your feelings...
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin