+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Thinning87 View Post
    I see the second one would make sense. Well this is great news I didn't think they'd give it a try this early!
    Nope, me neither, although Jahoda said he thought they'd start 'soon' with trials, this is indeed a positive surprise for once

Well let's hope this is happening for real!

I read the article again, it does mention dp cells but it's not like a clear announcement that they will be using Jahodas method.

Frankly, I find it more likely that the journalist threw the term dp cells in there at random, and they are just referring to the old trial from 2007.

Dr. Christiano told in her interview that more work needed to be done to increase hair growth.

Quote Originally Posted by Thinning87 View Post
    I read the article again, it does mention dp cells but it's not like a clear announcement that they will be using Jahodas method.

Frankly, I find it more likely that the journalist threw the term dp cells in there at random, and they are just referring to the old trial from 2007.

Dr. Christiano told in her interview that more work needed to be done to increase hair growth.

Well, again, the only group of researchers who succeeded at culturing DP cells was Jahoda's group, so if the article is right, then they'll indeed use Jahoda's method. Of course the journalist could be wrong though, who knows ..

Default Sung-Jan Lin, MD PhD

Sung-Jan Lin is the Clinical Trial principal Investigator

This is a patent under his name from 2013:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...&RS=PN/8492112

"Disclosed is a method for the manufacture of microtissues, comprising the steps of: providing a biomaterial substrate; simultaneously seeding a plurality of dermal papilla (DP) cells and keratinocytes on the substrate surface with a predetermined ratio and cellular density; co-culturing for a predetermined period; and carrying the keratinocytes to the substrate surface by the dermal papilla cells, aggregating and finally form a plurality of keratinocyte-dermal papilla cell microtissues, wherein the dermal papilla cells are located in a center of the microtissue and the keratinocytes are sorted to a surface of the microtissue, and the keratinocytes are adult keratinocytes. The method can help to simply and economize the procedures for production of folliculoid microtissues with high-throughput. Once microtissues are transplanted to skin of subject, hair follicles can be regenerated."

"The inventor of the present invention has previously reported that EVAL, containing both hydrophilic and hydrophobic domains, is a unique polymer that is able to enhance the self-assembly for DP cells into spheroidal microtissues that are able to induce HF morphogenesis"

Default Papers by Sung-Jan Lin

Scalable production of controllable dermal papilla spheroids on PVA surfaces and the effects of spheroid size on hair follicle regeneration.:

http://www.researchgate.net/publicat...e_regeneration

Therapeutic strategy for hair regeneration: hair cycle activation, niche environment modulation, wound-induced follicle neogenesis, and stem cell engineering.

http://www.researchgate.net/publicat...ll_engineering

It seems this people know what they're doing...

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi View Post
    Well, again, the only group of researchers who succeeded at culturing DP cells was Jahoda's group, so if the article is right, then they'll indeed use Jahoda's method. Of course the journalist could be wrong though, who knows ..
    Yeah it's quite possible they got it wrong or mixed up.
    Apparently the person leading the Taiwan study is Sung-Jan Lin.

I've found some links that shows that either Sung-Jan Lin may know Jahoda, or that they have a mutual friend who is a research scientist who has worked with both of them. So there might be some connection there, who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by southern View Post
    Sung-Jan Lin is the Clinical Trial principal Investigator

This is a patent under his name from 2013:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...&RS=PN/8492112

"Disclosed is a method for the manufacture of microtissues, comprising the steps of: providing a biomaterial substrate; simultaneously seeding a plurality of dermal papilla (DP) cells and keratinocytes on the substrate surface with a predetermined ratio and cellular density; co-culturing for a predetermined period; and carrying the keratinocytes to the substrate surface by the dermal papilla cells, aggregating and finally form a plurality of keratinocyte-dermal papilla cell microtissues, wherein the dermal papilla cells are located in a center of the microtissue and the keratinocytes are sorted to a surface of the microtissue, and the keratinocytes are adult keratinocytes. The method can help to simply and economize the procedures for production of folliculoid microtissues with high-throughput. Once microtissues are transplanted to skin of subject, hair follicles can be regenerated."

"The inventor of the present invention has previously reported that EVAL, containing both hydrophilic and hydrophobic domains, is a unique polymer that is able to enhance the self-assembly for DP cells into spheroidal microtissues that are able to induce HF morphogenesis"
    Wow nice find !! This is actually extremely interesting. This guy obviously has been working on the same subject as Jahoda and has also developed a method of 3d culturing of DP cells. This is therefore even more interesting than just copying Jahoda's method, because this might actually even yield a better result.

My God. Is this for real! Have these guys also come up with a method to culture DP in a spheroid?

I'm starting to sound like a broken record but this is another example of our exponential undrestanding of tissue engineering and developmental biology. And to top it all off we're entering human trials. This journey is rough but dammit its so exciting

How can people be so pessimistic at these crucial times is beyond me! I think we'll be approaching the event horizon by 2016 and after that the sky is the limit in terms of hair regeneration.

Eat healthy, exercise and live like everyday is your last day on earth guys. Don't worry so much about your hair. The solution will be here by the end of this decade and then cherish that hair. GEL IT UP. GET FANCY HAIRCUTS.
    Dye it. Grow a mohawk Whatever you want. Just know that a solution is coming. Don't let the next 10 years go to waste because you were waiting!