Should I get my hairline fixed (26 years old) - Page 2 - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

NO. My advice is wait. I began doing HTs when my hair was thicker than yours but I was obsessed and scared to death of baldness that all I -or my mind-could see was the few missing hairs in the corners instead of seeing all the hair that I had, which was close to norwood 1/2 (I know there isn't such a thing but...).

You need to know once you get started with HT you WILL have to keep doing more as this ****ing curse (hair loss) progresses. But I know how you feel as your mind starts obsessing about your hair and all you see are the areas where there used to be more hair...

I'd say wait and get on Minoxidil and Fin. They might halt or slow down your hair loss -IF there really is hair loss going on. Some men have hair loss only in the corners and it stays like that. If your dad or uncles are like that I wouldn't worry too much.

You should really have stayed on the meds as you were getting no sides and it was halting your loss. People shouldn't come off it because they don't see improvements, the lucky ones get regrowth and that mainly tends to be in the crown, if it is holding your loss you should be happy with that.

My advice get back on Propecia and wait, your hair still looks decent and you can still style it with lots of product, when you can't do that it will be time to look into a transplant for the hairline provided you have no loss in other areas of your scalp.

I am on propecia for 1.5 years, never quit... It's been 5 months since i quit the minoxidil though, but thinking about taking it up again once a day with the dermaroller.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ardana View Post
    I'm 26 years old and want to get my hairline fixed. Of course I'd like to go ultra-conservative, and get a mature hairline but one which allows me to style it properly again. This way if I have future hair loss, I'd still have enough grafts to play with. I'm thinking something around 1500 grafts maybe?

The thing that's bothering me to go forward with this transplant is future loss. Is it possible, that I will start losing hair behind the transplanted hair, while on finasteride and minox? What do you guys think? What if I get on dutasteride the moment I notice new loss?
    Do you have any Norwood Five or Sixes in your family? Some men experience a degree of recession when they're younger. It progresses to a certain point and stops. A family history of decent hair is certainly a plus but I have met men who are very thin and are unaware of anyone in their family with any degree of significant hair loss.

Dr. Cole is more inclined to graft a younger man with recession and thinning in the front. When you're young with relatively thick hair in front and a decent amount of recession, you run the risk of having islands of hair at the temples years later.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    Do you have any Norwood Five or Sixes in your family? Some men experience a degree of recession when they're younger. It progresses to a certain point and stops. A family history of decent hair is certainly a plus but I have met men who are very thin and are unaware of anyone in their family with any degree of significant hair loss.

Dr. Cole is more inclined to graft a younger man with recession and thinning in the front. When you're young with relatively thick hair in front and a decent amount of recession, you run the risk of having islands of hair at the temples years later.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck
    My father is 61 and still has a full head of hair, no recession. My grandfather (89) still has a full head of hair as well. My dad's 2 brothers on the other hand are heavily receded and have shaved it all off... My brother has the exact same hairline as I do, only he is 5 years older than me. My mother's father and uncle were bald too.

Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
    fred970 I see you always posting that link on people with only slight receding. That is wrong, you should not ridicule people who are trying to do something about their hairloss at the early stage, like a lot of us fail to do. I wish I could have had this BDD myself and done something when I had a receding hairline that every one said not to worry about. Now i'm a NW4 and about to get an FUE, after years of hair loss medication slowing down my hair loss.

To the first poster, 1500-2000 sounds fine for your case. I think you should go for it. You do have MPB.
    What doctor did you end up deciding on? I think you were considering India or Turkey if I remember right.

Quote Originally Posted by greatjob! View Post
    What doctor did you end up deciding on? I think you were considering India or Turkey if I remember right.
    Yes, thanks to you pointing me to the right direction. There's many options there, I am talking to some of them via email. They all say the same thing, about 3,500 grafts. I haven't chosen yet, but I know I will get it April or May.

Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
    Yes, thanks to you pointing me to the right direction. There's many options there, I am talking to some of them via email. They all say the same thing, about 3,500 grafts. I haven't chosen yet, but I know I will get it April or May.
    Good for you man, good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by ardana View Post
    What do you guys think? What if I get on dutasteride the moment I notice new loss?
    My hairline was almost identical to yours at 29, when I had a 1,500 graft transplant. Here's the thing that's difficult about getting a hairline transplant: it's almost impossible to tell if you're thinning behind the grafts. I'm on dutasteride but still experience some light shedding, but my results don't look any different two years later. But if I'm receding very slowly, I won't be able to tell a cosmetic difference until my native hair has pulled away from the grafts significantly. If you start to thin behind the grafts, it'll likely be a very slow process that you can't see happening until an actual gap opens up. Just saying that the takeaway is that it becomes extremely difficult to monitor your loss after a hairline procedure, because you can't tell where the grafted hair ends and the native hair begins, so you can no longer identify your "real" hairline.

I don't claim to be an expert but i'd say at your stage you have good hair, i wouldn't bat an eyelid and I'm someone who looks for it in anyone, some kind of self torture I suppose. I'm 26 and I'm quite envious of your hair. I'd say i can see where you're coming from as you don't have a 'perfect' head of hair but then again not many guys even without MPB do. I'd say maybe go onto finasteride if you're concerned about future loss and think about transplantation as something way down the road. Bare in mind there are only so many hairs that can be used for transplantation so don't use them up early.