Threaded View

Default Just turned 19 and here we go

Hi everyone.

I just turned 19, and as a birthday present I got myself 1 mg of finasteride prescription and rogaine. What every 19 year old wants, huh?

Hair loss begin hitting me exactly one year ago, when my barber noted there was slight thinning in my hair. It wasn't even noticeable until this last October, when I started college. But that highlights how quickly it hit. By January, it was noticeable to everyone I was losing hair, my scalp was becoming visible.

I started to research. It didn't make sense. DHT? I have very low levels of testosterone, why would my already pretty screwed up body decide to convert it to DHT. Worst of all, there is no family history of anyone balding (on both sides) until the age of 45. I just can't catch a break with my shit genetics.

It's pretty tough, especially at college. It saddens me to look through my phone or profile pictures and see that not even three months ago I had a full head of hair. I don't understand why it has hit me so fast.

Anyways, I have begin to take my propecia prescription and apply minox once a day (I don't want my roommate to see it). I think it has slowed down hair loss, but it has only been about 10 days (although it did get to the point where I had noticeable loss every day). If it wasn't for my huge nose and asymmetric head shape, I would probably shave my head. But alas, I can't even pull that off.

Anyways, it's glad to finally be a part of this forum. It feels like somewhat of a support group and you guys really do boost my confidence. I will also begin to look into different treatment options. How do you guys feel about wigs or hair pieces or things of that nature? Do they work?

Thank you for reading this vent/introduction. It feels good to know I have some place I can be honest and just put my mind to ease.