+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Just turned 19 and here we go

Hi everyone.

I just turned 19, and as a birthday present I got myself 1 mg of finasteride prescription and rogaine. What every 19 year old wants, huh?

Hair loss begin hitting me exactly one year ago, when my barber noted there was slight thinning in my hair. It wasn't even noticeable until this last October, when I started college. But that highlights how quickly it hit. By January, it was noticeable to everyone I was losing hair, my scalp was becoming visible.

I started to research. It didn't make sense. DHT? I have very low levels of testosterone, why would my already pretty screwed up body decide to convert it to DHT. Worst of all, there is no family history of anyone balding (on both sides) until the age of 45. I just can't catch a break with my shit genetics.

It's pretty tough, especially at college. It saddens me to look through my phone or profile pictures and see that not even three months ago I had a full head of hair. I don't understand why it has hit me so fast.

Anyways, I have begin to take my propecia prescription and apply minox once a day (I don't want my roommate to see it). I think it has slowed down hair loss, but it has only been about 10 days (although it did get to the point where I had noticeable loss every day). If it wasn't for my huge nose and asymmetric head shape, I would probably shave my head. But alas, I can't even pull that off.

Anyways, it's glad to finally be a part of this forum. It feels like somewhat of a support group and you guys really do boost my confidence. I will also begin to look into different treatment options. How do you guys feel about wigs or hair pieces or things of that nature? Do they work?

Thank you for reading this vent/introduction. It feels good to know I have some place I can be honest and just put my mind to ease.

Also, I did not taper the fin since I was so desperate to halt the hair loss, and have suffered some sexual sides.

These do go away, right? Right??

Quote Originally Posted by klinko View Post
    Also, I did not taper the fin since I was so desperate to halt the hair loss, and have suffered some sexual sides.

These do go away, right? Right??
    What sides are those? I did get the "ball ache" off and on for a couple of months. Nothing since. I didn't taper either, full dose since day one. I would just say be smart about what you are feeling. If you get intense pain or persistent ED, stop taking the drug. Don't over think taking fin. Take the pill and just go on about your day and don't waste time looking for sides.

Nothing painful at all. Just that my erections feel like jelly.

Let me explain; I've always had 'soft' erections when I wasn't with a girl. But while on fin, even when I'm with a girl, my erection feels like 'jelly.' It's not so much about what it looks like, but how it feels. I literally don't feel my penis sometimes while I am having sex.

I expect that to disappear, though.

edit: Any comments about wigs? and was anyone else hit by MPB as fast as I was? How well did your treatment work?

Welcome to club. I was 19 too when I first noticed hairloss. Sadly there were no treatments available at that time. I was 24 before I started taking Propecia (1mg Fin) and I lost lot of hair prior to getting on it. You did the right thing. Perhaps add Nizoral shampoo once a week.

Nothing painful at all. Just that my erections feel like jelly.

Let me explain; I've always had 'soft' erections when I wasn't with a girl. But while on fin, even when I'm with a girl, my erection feels like 'jelly.' It's not so much about what it looks like, but how it feels. I literally don't feel my penis sometimes while I am having sex.

I expect that to disappear, though.

edit: Any comments about wigs? and was anyone else hit by MPB as fast as I was? How well did your treatment work?
    No experience with hair pieces, but the ones that I have seen through this and other hair loss sites have looked pretty good. If you don't mind wearing them, they are worth looking into.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Hi everyone.

I just turned 19, and as a birthday present I got myself 1 mg of finasteride prescription and rogaine. What every 19 year old wants, huh?

Hair loss begin hitting me exactly one year ago, when my barber noted there was slight thinning in my hair. It wasn't even noticeable until this last October, when I started college. But that highlights how quickly it hit. By January, it was noticeable to everyone I was losing hair, my scalp was becoming visible.

I started to research. It didn't make sense. DHT? I have very low levels of testosterone, why would my already pretty screwed up body decide to convert it to DHT. Worst of all, there is no family history of anyone balding (on both sides) until the age of 45. I just can't catch a break with my shit genetics.

It's pretty tough, especially at college. It saddens me to look through my phone or profile pictures and see that not even three months ago I had a full head of hair. I don't understand why it has hit me so fast.

Anyways, I have begin to take my propecia prescription and apply minox once a day (I don't want my roommate to see it). I think it has slowed down hair loss, but it has only been about 10 days (although it did get to the point where I had noticeable loss every day). If it wasn't for my huge nose and asymmetric head shape, I would probably shave my head. But alas, I can't even pull that off.

Anyways, it's glad to finally be a part of this forum. It feels like somewhat of a support group and you guys really do boost my confidence. I will also begin to look into different treatment options. How do you guys feel about wigs or hair pieces or things of that nature? Do they work?

Thank you for reading this vent/introduction. It feels good to know I have some place I can be honest and just put my mind to ease.
    I asked Dr. Cole a while back about Propecia side effects. Although Avodart is a stronger med, some men with an unfavorable reaction to one will do OK with the other. As I've stated before, there are some encouraging identical twin photos that indicate decent results where one takes Propecia and the other doesn't, so hang in there.

Unless you got hit with a gene from a distant relative, I think you should check to see if there is anything you are currently taking that has a hair loss side effect. For instance, I had a really bad hair loss reaction to a combination of Ibuprofen, Allegra and glucosamine & chondroitin. Fortunately, although I don't have great hair at my age, it's much better than it was 10 years ago.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

I have looked into it, at first my dermo thought it was a reaction to medication and not enough vitamins/minerals. But it became clear soon enough that it was indeed MPB, and my dermo prescribed me propecia, but stated that I should only take f it if I'm 100% sure I can deal with the side effects, knowing I actually have low T and all. My body has just been degenerating since i was 16 so the hair loss is just icing on the cake.

I'm hoping I can get through this with just enough coverage show my scalp doesn't show, it's all I really want.

Has anyone my age tried avodart or ru? If so, how was it?

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

I have looked into it, at first my dermo thought it was a reaction to medication and not enough vitamins/minerals. But it became clear soon enough that it was indeed MPB, and my dermo prescribed me propecia, but stated that I should only take f it if I'm 100% sure I can deal with the side effects, knowing I actually have low T and all. My body has just been degenerating since i was 16 so the hair loss is just icing on the cake.

I'm hoping I can get through this with just enough coverage show my scalp doesn't show, it's all I really want.

Has anyone my age tried avodart or ru? If so, how was it?
    You are young to try Avodart. I recently had a forum poster comment that he couldn't get a prescription for Propecia because he's under 21. I just phoned our local pharmacy here in Georgia and according to the pharmacist I spoke with, there are no legal age restrictions related to dispensing Propecia or Avodart. It's up to the individual doctor's policy. Any under 21 guys should call around before making an appointment to make sure age isn't an issue.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck
    and may want to start out with very small doses.

I just turned 18 and started Propecia basically same as you... Good luck pray for no sides for us