+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by fred970 View Post
    It's easier, cheaper and more productive to become more interesting than to dedicate your life to bodybuilding which is insanely expensive, probably one the most expensive hobbies there is: eating for 3 people, the protein shakes/supplements, the gym, the discipline, the time needed.

People don't know the harm they could cause when they just thow "Just work out and the ladies will love you! You don't want to or your say you can't? You're lazy!"
    Working out is important for everybody. It gets even more important as you get older. There is a difference between being in good shape and being "huge". You can be in pretty good shape working out for 1 - 1.5hrs, 4 - 5 days a week with a good diet. Gyms aren't that expensive and you don't need supplements either. You really don't even need to join a gym to get decent muscle tone. I have been slim my entire life. At 37 if I didn't work out, I would look thin and weak, not a good look. Being thin and out of shape isn't as bad as fat and out of shape, but it doesn't look all that great either.

I agree being muscular is better, but I'm also aware that being muscular or well built is almost 100% genetics. The rare people I know who are working out (without steroids) and look good, looked good and had a six-pack even before they started working out.

I can't have a six-pack for example, with all the working out in the world, I have belly fat that was still there when I dropped at 60 kg (I suffered from a form of anorexia for a brief time) for 1m 90. It is backed up by science that you can't target fat-loss. The only way I'd be able to have a visible six-pack is through liposuction.

I'm sick of all this working out wisdom and bro-science I read on internet forums. This "working out" philosophy is an American product in my opinion. People don't worship bodybuilding here in Europe.

I don't work out, none of my friends do, no one in my family does. Does that mean they are slobs who are all out of shape? Absolutely not.

This "working out" philosophy is an American product in my opinion. People don't worship bodybuilding here in Europe.
    Fred, c'mon man, stop being lazy:
    Attached Images

I know working out will provide no benefits at all for me, so I don't waste my time doing it, then it means I'm lazy? Weird logic. I may be lazy physically, but certainly not intellectually.

Me going to the gym is like Sheldon Cooper going to the gym. Ridiculous.

Yeah I know what you're going to say: "You're lazy! Jim Parsons could become as muscular as Schwarzenegger if he worked out!"

I know working out will provide no benefits at all for me, so I don't waste my time doing it, then it means I'm lazy? Weird logic.
    Sorry, It's difficult communicating tone on a message forum. It was a joke. Working out like everything else is a personal choice. I personally do it because it makes me feel better about myself to be in somewhat good shape. It also helps with relieve stress, believe it or not.

I was wondering if you were joking .

I agree for the relieving stress part, but it works with every sport. I like swimming for relieving stress for example. I guess I just don't need a muscular body to feel better about myself.

Bottom line is, this generic advice must stop, it causes more harm than good. I remember people telling me that I should work out to compensate my lack of hair over and over when my hair loss became noticeable. I was naive at the time and felt bad for not doing it, or trying to do it with no results. Until a great physical trainer told me the truth: working out was just a waste of time for a man with my genetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    My girlfriend of about 10 months and I broke up this weekend, and I am pretty crushed. It know it wouldn't have worked out long term because she is moving several states away and our feelings just aren't strong enough to make it work, but it still hurts big time.

Besides dealing with the turmoil of a breakup, I can't help but continue to obsess about my hairloss. It was always comforting to know that she truly didn't care (or so she said), which helped ease the constant negative thoughts I had about my balding scalp.

Just hours after the breakup I am thinking a lot about my hair...the thought of being single again with an ever-balding scalp terrifies me. It truly makes me feel like there is an expiration date for me for finding an attractive, decent girl. If anyone has similar thoughts or any advice, it would be much appreciated.
    I'm a little late on this but I was in the same boat. Girl bailed on me about 7 months ago to work in some 3rd world country. She wanted to save people or just wanted to get far away from me. Took a few months to get over that one.

With my career schedule my health/appearance (excluding hair loss) has went to crap. I hired a trainer a few months ago. We do a lot of High Intensity Training. Be fit to live, not live to be fit.

Anyway, life is about bettering yourself. Never stop, no matter what!

I was wondering if you were joking .

I agree for the relieving stress part, but it works with every sport. I like swimming for relieving stress for example. I guess I just don't need a muscular body to feel better about myself.

Bottom line is, this generic advice must stop, it causes more harm than good. I remember people telling me that I should work out to compensate my lack of hair over and over when my hair loss became noticeable. I was naive at the time and felt bad for not doing it, or trying to do it with no results. Until a great physical trainer told me the truth: working out was just a waste of time for a man with my genetics.
    Even if you are a pure ectomorph you can make big gains, the proof of that is everywhere. Genetics plays a role, in the sense that most people don't have the ability to get really big without hormones, but proper training and more importantly proper nutrition also play a huge role. You could no doubt make nice gains if you committed to proper nutrition and training, and if you really wanted to.

Many people don't want to be muscular and that's perfectly fine, but everyone can make good gains in muscle mass with a proper plan, it's just much harder for some than others. I do think even if weights aren't your thing everyone should try and engage in some sort of physical activity, the benefits of exercise on overall health and well-being are indisputable.

I agree. And as we grow older, exercise becomes even more important.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    I agree. And as we grow older, exercise becomes even more important.
    Check this guy out. His hair loss began at an early age. He's now 75 and stayed faithful to his diet and workouts.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck