+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 7 months on Fin...Need a bit of advice! Help.

Hey guys.

Okay i've been on proscar(1/4 tablet daily), regaine solution and nizoral shampoo for about 7 months now. I have not missed a day yet of taking my proscar and I stick to a very strict routine. I have decided to not analyse my hair untill I hit the 12 month mark when I will return to the doctor and he will compare my hair with what it was like a year previous when I visited him. I have definitely noticed an improvement in the condition of my hair, as it is easier to manage and definitely looks a bit thicker. But I am just after getting an awful shock. I was in the shower and my hair was wet, and any time i seemed to touch my hair, there were hairs coming out onto my hands, some were normal hairs and some were little thin hairs. I must have had about 15-20 hairs altogether on my hands by the end of it. Is this a really bad sign? Is it a sign the proscar is not working anymore? Is this normal at this stage? I have recently started gyming about 4 times a week and I do not take any supplements, just whey protein, could gyming and weight lifting cause an increase in my hair loss?. I also have started taking fish oil tablets that contain Omega 3,6, and 9, could this also increase my hair loss?.

Please guys i need some adequate advice cuz I am a little bit scared now that the proscar is not working.

Regards,
    Townie.

Shedding is normal.

having the same thing happening to me at the same point in treatment.

hoping it's just normal, it's been going on for over 2 weeks now.

my hair feels better, or was feeling better, noticeably.

thicker feeling, easier to manage, etc - signs of regrowth starting.

now it's falling out like crazy. Not really thick hairs, though. I'm not sure how noticeable it is at this point - but right before it started doing this I was pretty happy with my progress.

I don't think 15 - 20 hairs is really that bad at all. I usually will shed 5 - 10 when applying minoxidil.

The loss of terminal hairs usually means a new hair has begun to grow and forced a resting terminal hair out. An actively growing hair has replaced a non-growing resting hair.

Many things can cause hair loss. Just keep a watch on it. Exercise is not a recognized cause of hair loss. Make sure you are nutritionally sound and not over doing it in the gym. However, it is doubtful that this would play a role. We often see an increase in hair loss with the start of hair regrowth medications simply because they force resting hairs into the growing phase.

Also, some loss is seasonal with individuals. This is poorly understood, however. Keep an eye on it, but don't freak out. As noted, your numbers are nothing. You will typically loose 100 hairs a day and most come out in the shower unless you don't shower. Then they come out in your hands and brush. Washing dislodges most of the hairs that are dislodged due to transformation of resting hairs into growing hairs.

Dr Cole,

Will hairs that have just started to miniaturise shed? Or do they have to reach a certain miniaturisation threshold before they easily fall out?

Thanks

I just had a shower there and ran my hands through my hair while it was wet. This time there were very few hairs falling out. Maybe 5 at max.

Had another shower again today and my hair was coming out very easily again.! aaaaahhhhh!!! This is so frustrating!!! I've been taking Proscar for 7 months now and I thought by now that my hair loss would have stopped.

townie,
    did you go through a big shed at the start or at any point before this? bigger than the current shed.

Quote Originally Posted by redy View Post
    townie,
    did you go through a big shed at the start or at any point before this? bigger than the current shed.
    Redy,

To be honest, when I started Proscar, i did not notice a significant increase in hair loss which is referred to as "the shedding period". Maybe I am expierencing that shedding now? Is that possible? 7 months in?