+ Reply to Thread

Default 21 and thinning...help

I have been facing hair loss since I was 17. When I turned 18 my hairline started to recede and i didn't think anything of it. Recently I noticed that my crown is thinning a bit and I can see my scalp shine through bright sunlight/bright lighting. I have also noticed a LOT of shedding. Almost every time I run my hand through my hair I will grab a few stray hairs. When I shower my fingers/hands are filled with strands of hair. Is this normal or is it because of MPB? Since 18/19 I have also had this weird thin-ness on the side of my head. It is exactly the same on both sides. Is this part of hair loss? This is the most frustrating part of my hair because I cannot hide it at all.

I am so upset that I am losing my hair and I always ask "Why me?" I wish I didn't have to go through this and it is incredibly upsetting. All my friends have a full head of haie and my confidence is at an all time low because of my hair. I can generally hide the crown area, but I know its going to get worse.

Do I need a prescription to be on finasteride? Can I get proscar/propecia without one? Is it recommended that I go on it? I want to drastically slow down the thinning and POSSIBLY grow back what I have lost on the crown. Is it possible to re-grow the sides? Also, my bangs have thinned out a lot. I can't completely cover my forehead with hair. A lot of forehead peeks throughout my bangs. Is this also thinning?

All of these pics are rather recent. I turned 21 a couple months ago.

Thanks so much guys for any help I can get!

dutasteride works well in combination with minoxidil. you can pick up both without a script. your crown looks pretty normal. it's hard to see the front. the sooner you start, the better. if you start addressing this now, you may be able to stop it.

Hello, Adam. I agree with mkamph: it is good to start now in being pro-active with hairloss. In your pictures, it appears you are covering the crown well. Sometimes, just changing a hairstyle makes thinning much less noticeable (a shorter style). First of all, don't try to diagnose yourself. Go see a professional - someone who specializes in hair loss. The doctor can recommend several options specifically for you. Check with this site to find a certified doctor in your area. Oftentimes, medication can help restore your loss, and stop further hairloss. BUT please be cautious of self-medicating and obtaining medication from an unreliable source. Good luck.

B Stilwell
    Dr. Baxa representative
    PILC.com 704-335-1212

The thinning in the crown is much more apparent than in the pictures. I always duck my head in the mirror and I can see it clear as day. Its always on my mind and its so depressing. I hate seeing all my friends with their full head of hair.

I definitely need to see someone about my hair loss before I can get propecia or anything? No other way? I'm a broke college student so money is pretty tight for a doctor.