+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default First Study to Convert Adult Human Cells to Hair-Follicle-Generating Stem Cells

News from Cotsarelis and University of Pennsylvania http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/news/News_...es/2014/01/xu/

Study in question: http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2014/14...comms4071.html

Both good and bad news:

“When a person loses hair, they lose both types of cells.” Xu explains. “We have solved one major problem, the epithelial component of the hair follicle. We need to figure out a way to also make new dermal papillae cells, and no one has figured that part out yet.”

What’s more, the process Xu used to create iPSCs involves genetic modification of human cells with genes encoding oncogenic proteins and so needs more refinement. Still, he notes that stem-cell researchers are developing more workarounds, including strategies using only chemical agents.
    Good because they're half way. Bad because they're only half way.

Even after they figure it out, wouldn't they still need to go through clinical trials to be FDA approved?

This doesn't bring us much closer to our goal on the one hand: epethelial cells weren't the problem and could already be expanded. But hopefully this is useful in doing it for DP cells. Cause if THAT works, then hairloss is a thing of the past (as proven by Tsuji for example)

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi View Post
    This doesn't bring us much closer to our goal on the one hand: epethelial cells weren't the problem and could already be expanded. But hopefully this is useful in doing it for DP cells. Cause if THAT works, then hairloss is a thing of the past (as proven by Tsuji for example)
    When I read that I was thinking to myself if they could grow these epithelial cells, and then add those DP cells (Aderans) or Dermal sheath cup cells (Replicel) to the mix.
    But:
    a) They are still refining the procedure let alone starting clinical trials
    b) If they approve they would have to combine it with procedure of others which patented, I believe they would have to combined while preparing the i.e. Dermal sheath cup cells.

Sad thing is this like 15 years away from fruition.

Quote Originally Posted by Sogeking View Post
    When I read that I was thinking to myself if they could grow these epithelial cells, and then add those DP cells (Aderans) or Dermal sheath cup cells (Replicel) to the mix.
    But:
    b) If they approve they would have to combine it with procedure of others which patented, I believe they would have to combined while preparing the i.e. Dermal sheath cup cells.

Not sure what you mean with point b ? If they can generate DP cells this way, then hairloss is cured. Yeah sure, they'd need to go to trials but I'm sure there will be clinics in non western countries which would offer it way before the Western world would.

Strange that they're simultaneously working on what seems to be an entirely different approach to the technology they licensed to Follica using a wounding procedure and topical formulas to induce follicular neogenesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi View Post
    Not sure what you mean with point b ? If they can generate DP cells this way, then hairloss is cured. Yeah sure, they'd need to go to trials but I'm sure there will be clinics in non western countries which would offer it way before the Western world would.
    Actually I read the article about it (not the study itself) on phys.org today. They said that they had made the epithelial cells, but for a full hair follicle they still need to make DP cells from usual stem cells. The b point I proposed is actually a shortcut, and basically it might help to improve the efficiency of Replicel and Aderans treatments.

This is the excerpt from the aticle:
    That said, iPSC-derived epithelial stem cells are not yet ready for use in human subjects, Xu adds. First, a hair follicle contains epithelial cells—a cell type that lines the body's vessels and cavities – as well as a specific kind of adult stem cell called dermal papillae. Xu and his team mixed iPSC-derived EpSCs and mouse dermal cells to generate hair follicles to achieve the growth of the follicles.

"When a person loses hair, they lose both types of cells." Xu explains. "We have solved one major problem, the epithelial component of the hair follicle. We need to figure out a way to also make new dermal papillae cells, and no one has figured that part out yet."
    Also they actually mixed mouse dermal papillae cells so my b point actually makes some sense doesn't it?

And this is the link to said article:
    http://medicalxpress.com/news/2014-0...ting-stem.html

Also worth noting, the test involved grafting the human epithelial stem cells mixed with mouse cells and grafting this on to the backs of mice. As many of you who follow these things know, they often get different results when they try to replicate studies that used mice with human subjects.

That being said, it's always good to see more work from cotsarelis and the Perelman school as this is real science and therefore more valuable and reliable than most of what you see from the fly by night private companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Sogeking View Post
    But:

How do you draw '15 years' from fruition? Why is this arbitrary number always thrown at development of something that has no definite end result pathway? There's no way to gauge any of it other than the bullshit required YEARS from the FDA before a commercial product... thats for sure, but nobody should be putting up with the FDA for stem cell treatments, this sort of thing needs to be moved over to a forward thinking nation like Japan where there isn't this much red tape.