Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scientalk56
    • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Sogeking

However that said we need something before that something to help us at least stop hair loss or add some density until we wait for this cure.
    That's the problem, Companies working on treatments are in Hibernation right now.. :S (histogen for example)

Comment

• hellouser
      • May 2012

Originally posted by Scientalk56
      That's the problem, Companies working on treatments are in Hibernation right now.. :S (histogen for example)
      I wanna know WHY they're in hibernation. What are they doing at this moment instead of pushing the product forward?

Comment

• Scientalk56
        • Nov 2012

Originally posted by hellouser
        I wanna know WHY they're in hibernation. What are they doing at this moment instead of pushing the product forward?
        2b or not 2b.. This is the question...

Why doesnt spencer interview some of these companies ??

Comment

• huawei
          • Jun 2013

Stem cells researchers are heralding a "major scientific discovery", with the potential to start a new age of personalised medicine.

Sort of unrelated but none the less.

Comment

• deuce
            • May 2013

Originally posted by Scientalk56
            2b or not 2b.. This is the question...

Why doesnt spencer interview some of these companies ??
            Not to knock on Spencer or anything, but if it is not about hair transplants or Finasteride he is not interviewing them. That last episode with Andrew Zairain was so boring. Where is Joe from STaten Island? He is the best part of the show in my opinion.

Comment

• cichlidfort
              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by UK_
              Even if they nailed the DP cells, its gene therapy, so it'd need a 15 year long clinical trial and an added 5 years of product development before it even reached market.

We're 30-50 years away from a better treatment folks, time to accept baldness and move on unless you want to chemically castrate yourself, which, in all honesty, isnt for me, as I've been there & would never want to go down that road again.

I seriously laughed for a good 3 minutes out loud to myself when I read "We're 30-50 years away." That's the most moronic, nonsensical statement I've read in years. Christ the negativity on here is so comical.

Arashi, we are close. Oh so close! Keep up the positive/realistic dialogue and not this negative nonsense.

Comment

• cichlidfort
                • Jan 2013

To be fair, some of us will die before a product gets release and so many have waited so long, being robbed of their identity and then ultimately their life as well. Pretty terrible way to go out... living a gimped life and have your head filled with bullshit promises by all these pseudodoctors. A lot of these people have every right to be pissed.
                and still laughing...

Comment

• The Alchemist
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Arashi
                  So, why are you even here ? If you don't care about a cure being found, then why even visit these forums ?

A lot of other people actually DO care about that. I for one will pop the champagne if they succeed at that last part of the quest. Sure, it will take 8-10 years before it's available in the Western world, the day after a cure is found. But I'm sure it will go faster in Japan, with their fast track. Also, for the real daredevils who don't want to wait for clinical tests, there surely will be even other options, once research is published on how to do this, that's a sure thing too.
                  I have no idea why you've jumped to the conclusion that i don't care. Of course I DO care.I'm here because i enjoy keeping up on the research. And i have been following the likes of Follica, Histogen and Pilofocus.

Perhaps our disagreement in this is a matter of semantics. "Almost there" can mean different things depending on who's saying it and who's hearing it. As someone with an undergrad in biology and masters in pharmacology with more than a decade working in pharmaceutical reserach, i can assure you that any project that is still in the basic research phase is more than a decade away. In most cases, significantly longer than that. For me, that is not "almost there".

For starters i know how difficult getting through clinical trials can be. Even for a tried and true, fully efficacious treatment, there can be many delays and hurdles to overcome. And most that do attempt to come to market fail. There are simply no guarantees in the process.

Secondly, i consider "almost there" to be the point when i'm close to getting hair put on my head. Meaning, i'm within 3-5 years of walking into a clinic and getting a treatment and walking away with a giant bouffant of hair, or even just a jump in a couple NW leves would be good. That to me is "almost there". Anything else is merely of academic interest. Which is all fine and good.

Someone creating a fully functional hair follicle in the lab is an astounding feat and certainly worth celebrating. But, from a practical stand point, for the baldies, it's still not going to impact their lives for a very long time.
                  It's not pessimistic to understand the process and have a realistic appreciation of what the time and efforts involved, from both the scientific and business angles, will be.

Comment

• greatjob!
                    • Aug 2011

I know I'm on your ignore list lol (I have been crying myself to sleep ever since), but for the one millionth time they are only funded in phases, so they are raising funding now to continue clinical trials.

If you guys want to blame anyone for Histogen's slow progress, blame SkinMedica. Histogen would probably be funded through all clinical phases and maybe even have something on the market right now if it wasn't for their lawsuit, which caused Histogen's initial angel funding to fall through, caused them to lay off all their employees in 2009, and was just dismissed last year.

I understand everyone is desperate for a treatment, but come on lets be realistic. Around August last year Gail Naughton said that because of the lawsuit the company was basically in the same position as it was in 2009, that's more than 4 years of delays. To expect that they could almost immediately be ready to go after the lawsuit was settled is naive as shit. They couldn't get investors while there was still patent disputes in litigation, now they're trying to raise like $30 million, yeah I'm sure that's going to happen overnight.

Comment

• UK_
                      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by cichlidfort
                      I seriously laughed for a good 3 minutes out loud to myself when I read "We're 30-50 years away." That's the most moronic, nonsensical statement I've read in years. Christ the negativity on here is so comical.

Arashi, we are close. Oh so close! Keep up the positive/realistic dialogue and not this negative nonsense.
                      No, the most moronic and nonsensical statement you would have ever read is your birth certificate.

Come back to me when you can name me 3 different cell types of a human hair follicle, if you think scientists are capable of growing hair follicles and selling the service to the public is just around the corner, the only nonsensical moron around here is you. If your only issue with my posts is their inherent "lack of enthusiasm for the absolute void of progress in current hair loss research" then get used to it, I'm not an idiot, I understand that even if we all danced around together singing chants of positivity it wouldnt bring us any closer to kind of science we need to actually cure hair loss.

All together now!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta5HnYtWBIs

Comment

• VictimOfDHT
                        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by UK_
                        No, the most moronic and nonsensical statement you would have ever read is your birth certificate.

Come back to me when you can name me 3 different cell types of a human hair follicle, if you think scientists are capable of growing hair follicles and selling the service to the public is just around the corner, the only nonsensical moron around here is you. If your only issue with my posts is their inherent "lack of enthusiasm for the absolute void of progress in current hair loss research" then get used to it, I'm not an idiot, I understand that even if we all danced around together singing chants of positivity it wouldnt bring us any closer to kind of science we need to actually cure hair loss.

All together now!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta5HnYtWBIs
                        The most ridiculous 4 words humans ever invented are "optimism/positivity and pessimism/negativity". We (humans) consider ourselves "intelligent" yet we believe being "optimistic" or "pessimistic" can actually change the course of things in our lives !!! I'm sure 30 years ago -when they originally started telling people we'd have a baldness cure some time in the next 5-10 years- those "optimistic" people thought the cure really was around the corner. I wonder if they're still believe in "optimism". I laugh at those who believe in such superstitious shit like "optimism and pessimism" because to me they certainly suffer from delusion but they don't realize it. Life doesn't go by what we wish and hope for. Things that we hate WILL ALWAYS happen to us whether we're "optimistic" or not. I don't know why it's so hard for people to realize this.

Comment

• HairBane
                          • Apr 2013

Originally posted by VictimOfDHT
                          The most ridiculous 4 words humans ever invented are "optimism/positivity and pessimism/negativity". We (humans) consider ourselves "intelligent" yet we believe being "optimistic" or "pessimistic" can actually change the course of things in our lives !!! I'm sure 30 years ago -when they originally started telling people we'd have a baldness cure some time in the next 5-10 years- those "optimistic" people thought the cure really was around the corner. I wonder if they're still believe in "optimism". I laugh at those who believe in such superstitious shit like "optimism and pessimism" because to me they certainly suffer from delusion but they don't realize it. Life doesn't go by what we wish and hope for. Things that we hate WILL ALWAYS happen to us whether we're "optimistic" or not. I don't know why it's so hard for people to realize this.
                          There's nothing superstitious about it. There are genuine benefits and drawbacks to both states of mind. Being optimistic probably means you're slightly happier and more hopeful and you'll enjoy life more during that time period. However, that means that perhaps you'll delude yourself into thinking some desired outcome is inevitable, and you won't act in a way that prevents your downfall, or you'll fail to make amendments to your psyche and accept the facts.

On the other hand, being pessimistic means you'll likely feel miserable comparatively, but perhaps this will lead you to take preventative action, or to adjust things in your mind and accept the situation.

But it's not mystical, it's just basic psychology.

Comment

Working...