+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

...raising the possibility that they may eventually enable hair regeneration in people...
    So in a nutshell we're talking about something which raises (1) the possibility (2) that they MAY (3) EVENTUALLY (4) have some regrowth in a human at some point.

I prefer realistic articles over those moronic untruthful 'hairloss in shelves within 2 years"-articles, but the use of words in the text mentioned above doesn't exactly make me very hopeful.

Maybe small steps which add to an eventual cure in 20 years, but nothing I'll lose my sleep over.

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox View Post

This forum is worse than hair loss. We're closer to a cure, EVEN closer than yesterday. How is this not good news?
    In the hypothesis that there will be a cure one day, we're always one day closer than yesterday. That doesn't mean it will be here tomorrow. It can still be 10 or 10 000 years away.

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi View Post
    Nope. Culturing DP cells was impossible until last year, when Jahoda and his group succeeded. However their method wasn't good enough yet, since the multiplied cells lost most similarites to the original cells (only 21% of the gene expression was kept). The remaining similarities were enough to actually grow hair, but without the important properties like colour and thickness. So, Jahoda's group (or other researchers) either need to improve their culturing method, OR somebody needs to repeat what Cotsaleris just did, but then for DP cells. Either way will result in a cure for hairloss, since this is really the last step (as proven by other researchers, like Tsuji labs, before)
    If someone would give me all the information about stem cells being used for treating hair loss explained as if it were to a 5 year old but in full detail, I could create an infographic where it could spread online and raise some awareness...?? One last step would certainly ease the final push with funding for this disease.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
    So in a nutshell we're talking about something which raises (1) the possibility (2) that they MAY (3) EVENTUALLY (4) have some regrowth in a human at some point.

I prefer realistic articles over those moronic untruthful 'hairloss in shelves within 2 years"-articles, but the use of words in the text mentioned above doesn't exactly make me very hopeful.

Maybe small steps which add to an eventual cure in 20 years, but nothing I'll lose my sleep over.
    Yeah man it will never happen, forget about it

Exclamation

This doesn't bring us much closer to our goal on the one hand: epethelial cells weren't the problem and could already be expanded. But hopefully this is useful in doing it for DP cells. Cause if THAT works, then hairloss is a thing of the past (as proven by Tsuji for example)
    Even if they nailed the DP cells, its gene therapy, so it'd need a 15 year long clinical trial and an added 5 years of product development before it even reached market.

We're 30-50 years away from a better treatment folks, time to accept baldness and move on unless you want to chemically castrate yourself, which, in all honesty, isnt for me, as I've been there & would never want to go down that road again.

Nope. Culturing DP cells was impossible until last year, when Jahoda and his group succeeded. However their method wasn't good enough yet, since the multiplied cells lost most similarites to the original cells (only 21% of the gene expression was kept). The remaining similarities were enough to actually grow hair, but without the important properties like colour and thickness. So, Jahoda's group (or other researchers) either need to improve their culturing method, OR somebody needs to repeat what Cotsaleris just did, but then for DP cells. Either way will result in a cure for hairloss, since this is really the last step (as proven by other researchers, like Tsuji labs, before)
    And then, how is the function at the process of de DSC cells? These are not important to grow new hair? are unessential in the process?

Thanks for the answer

Quote Originally Posted by hellouser View Post
    If someone would give me all the information about stem cells being used for treating hair loss explained as if it were to a 5 year old but in full detail, I could create an infographic where it could spread online and raise some awareness...?? One last step would certainly ease the final push with funding for this disease.
    Well it comes down to this. Tsuji lab took existing DP cells together with existing epthelial cells, both from humans. They basically just sticked them together and hair grew.

Now, there are basically 2 ways to get cells: either expand them in culture or take stem cells and convert (differnentiate) into the cell types you need.

Epethelial cells could already be expanded in culture. DP cell's not, until last year, but jahoda's method wasnt good enough and the multiplied cells lost too many similarities to the original cells to produce cosmetically viable here (although they actually DID grow hair).

The other method, using stem cells, hasn't worked for neither epithelial cells and DP cells. While it's actually pretty easy nowadays to create stem cells, the difficulty is inducing them to become a certain cell type. So, today, Cotsaleris showed the world they could do it for epethelial cells.

So, the remaining challeng is: either improve Jahoda's culturing method or do what Cotsaleris did for Epthelial cells: differentiate them from stem cells.

Quote Originally Posted by UK_ View Post
    Even if they nailed the DP cells, its gene therapy, so it'd need a 15 year long clinical trial and an added 5 years of product development before it even reached market.

We're 30-50 years away from a better treatment folks, time to accept and move on.
    ??

So we go from 2-5 years 15 years ago, to 15 years one year ago, to 30-50 years today?

WTF?

Well it comes down to this. Tsuji lab took existing DP cells together with existing epthelial cells, both from humans. They basically just sticked them together and hair grew.

Now, there are basically 2 ways to get cells: either expand them in culture or take stem cells and convert (differnentiate) into the cell types you need.

Epethelial cells could already be expanded in culture. DP cell's not, until last year, but jahoda's method wasnt good enough and the multiplied cells lost too many similarities to the original cells to produce cosmetically viable here (although they actually DID grow hair).

The other method, using stem cells, hasn't worked for neither epithelial cells and DP cells. While it's actually pretty easy nowadays to create stem cells, the difficulty is inducing them to become a certain cell type. So, today, Cotsaleris showed the world they could do it for epethelial cells.

So, the remaining challeng is: either improve Jahoda's culturing method or do what Cotsaleris did for Epthelial cells: differentiate them from stem cells.
    Dates, locations and doctor names would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by carvo View Post
    I don't understand one thing.
    Are not DP cells already culturing by Replicel in their method?

Thanks.
    Who cares? Their results are garbage.

And they culture DSC cells not DP cells, there's a big difference.

Until we see doctors regenerating severed fingers for patients in ER baldness will never be cured, the hair follicle is one of the most complex organs in the human body.

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox View Post
    I was excited to read the articles on yahoo, came here to see if anybody noticed them too.. and all I see is "15 years away."

This forum is worse than hair loss. We're closer to a cure, EVEN closer than yesterday. How is this not good news?
    How did you come to that conclusion? This method would need to be put through years of clinical trial, they'd need to find investors throughout the entire process, it's basically the beginning of another Aderans (rewind to 2003 & start all over AGAIN only for it to fail 2 years before they announce a 'probable' release date) - it's the same shit different day typical garbage we've been hearing for the past 20 years... its getting rather tedious... id rather they come out and just say "guys, we cant cure it".