+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default stopping finasteride after procedure?

What happens when someone gets a procedure done and starts on finasteride but finds out they have really bad side effects within 6 months and need to stop? How will this effect the results of the procedure?

Quote Originally Posted by asianguy View Post
    What happens when someone gets a procedure done and starts on finasteride but finds out they have really bad side effects within 6 months and need to stop? How will this effect the results of the procedure?
    It will look half as good or less IMO. Propecia is as responsible as the transplant itself for those great transplant "success stories". I wish more docs would post the exact specs of the medication these guys are taking in the after photos.

Do you consider it half as good because less transplanted donor hair will grow or more native hairs will shed due to trauma (giving the overall hair a thinner look)? I thought DHT generally does not affect donor hair? So finasteride shouldn't affect transplanted hair?

Quote Originally Posted by asianguy View Post
    Do you consider it half as good because less transplanted donor hair will grow or more native hairs will shed due to trauma (giving the overall hair a thinner look)? I thought DHT generally does not affect donor hair? So finasteride shouldn't affect transplanted hair?
    In theory you are right, the DHT should not affect the transplanted hair, but i have yet to see a great hair transplant where the guy is not taking propecia after it, and I have seen many bad ones where three patient is not taking it. I know they advise taking propecia to stabilize any further hair loss, but many of those great ' after' photos are also benefiting g a denser look and better coverage due to propecia IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by skipstah70 View Post
    In theory you are right, the DHT should not affect the transplanted hair, but i have yet to see a great hair transplant where the guy is not taking propecia after it, and I have seen many bad ones where three patient is not taking it. I know they advise taking propecia to stabilize any further hair loss, but many of those great ' after' photos are also benefiting g a denser look and better coverage due to propecia IMHO.
    The forum member 'chrisis' has had an op, he's not taking Finasteride, his hair currently looks fantastic.

Propecia will not have any influence on your grafts. Many patients stop Propecia after a procedure. I saw one today who really thinned out over the past 3 years. He thinned in areas that looked fantastic 3 years ago so we did not graft them. One may theorize that his hair loss accelerated because he stopped taking propecia. One could also surmise that he was going to loose his hair regardless of propecia.

It is true that not all individuals respond to Propecia. Some think they are slowing down their hair loss, but the hair loss proceeds while on Propecia. Perhaps the Propecia was doing nothing. Perhaps they stopped responding to Propecia.

We do know that Propecia can increase hair and we know that it can retard hair loss over a 10 year span. We know that many individuals refuse to take it because it is a chemical. We know that some people have adverse events from Propecia so they stop it.

One thing we do not have is data to suggest that hair transplants are better with Propecia. All we can do is theorize that you will be better off on Propecia. I encourage all men with AGA to take Propecia. However, the bottom line is that many men never take it and many others stop it. Those off Propecia respond well to hair transplants.

I'd rather see you stay on it, but it's not the end of the world if you stop it.

Dr. Cole,

I started low dose finasteride in April of 1996 and then went directly on Propecia in 2000 when I could afford it.

Then in 2001, you were kind enough to supply me with it when I worked for you...

I am in my 18th year of using low dose finasteride, still cutting proscar, and still hanging onto my native hair in the midscalp and crown...

Am still thankful for the surgery and natural hair line that you did for me my friend!
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

That's great, what low dosage are you taking? Hard to decide whether to take it or not.. Sides scare me, but it's nice to read positive stories about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcm800 View Post
    That's great, what low dosage are you taking? Hard to decide whether to take it or not.. Sides scare me, but it's nice to read positive stories about it.
    My primary doctor prescribes me scripts for Proscar (5mg finasteride) and then I use a pill cutter to dissect the pill into 4 pieces. It comes out to 1.25 mg daily. It saves me a lot of money and been doing it for years. Proscar was and still is used for the treatment of the prostate gland and its corresponding enlargement from colon cancer.

A couple of things though. If you are planning to start a family, I discourage the practice of cutting Proscar. The active ingredient (finasteride) can potentially expose any female to the drug and subsequently have an adverse effect on the development of the genetalia of the baby.

The nice thing about Propecia is that it has a good outer coating. Still, Merck puts a vivid warning on the labeling against females handling the pills and even the container that it comes in. There are powder residuals in any pill container.

In addition, if you do choose the Proscar route, be sure that your prescribing physician documents your medical chart that he/she is doing so for treating MPB, not colon cancer. This is important because just in case any male get colon cancer, the health insurance plan may not cover treatment because they could potentially claim that the individual has a pre-existing condition and subsequently deny the claim. And the other thing I do not like about men using Proscar is that some are tempted to take the entire 5 mg pill daily thinking more is better for treating hair loss efficiently. It clearly is not.

Lastly, I just want to emphasize that my practice of cutting Proscar is clearly not a recommendation to anyone nor is it to be construed as my offering any medical advice as I am not a doctor nor a licensed physician.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Thanks for your in depth reply. To be honest if I started it it be on a smaller dose, a quarter perhaps EOD, not sure.

Planning a family wouldn't ever be a concern now for me, but, i guess I've read so many side effect stories I'm indoctrinated now. I do believe many men do take the drug tho and live happily ever after tho as well..

It's just pulling the trigger to find out if it's you..