+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

You're very welcome my friend. I think the potential side-effects are still a dilemma for many men who are considering starting low dose finasteride.

What I mean by this is that there are real side-effects that go unreported such as tenderness of the breasts and things like that other than the sexual side-effects.

I also believe that the sexual side-effects are higher in number than reported, roughly three percent. I think it's more like fifteen percent or even slightly higher. I base this opinion on endless observations since Propecia was introduced.

Yet a fair number of men perceive they are having them and it may be a matter of psyche in some cases. Some of the younger men convince themselves that they will have them even before they start the medication.

As you stated, you will never know until you try it yet I also want to encourage you to do so "only" under the direction and supervision of a licensed physician. If you start low dose finasteride outside of the prescribed dosage, you may not experience true success.

Propecia was developed in an environment of stringent ongoing clinical trials and henceforth the dosage of 1mg daily was established based on both efficiency as well as noted side-effects among other factors considered before the FDA approved it for release.

Sadly, I continue to see men of all ages go immediately to the internet to purchase various forms of finasteride without first consulting a licensed physician. This IMHO is a huge mistake. Why? There are various types and sources of alopecia and in some cases, the individual does not even have MPB...

It is critical to be physically examined by your doctor to determine a "formal diagnosis" for MPB before they will want to prescribe Propecia or any other form of low dose finasteride.

Then, and only after taking the proper daily dosage, should the individual experience side-effects, the doctor may suggest downgrading the dosage and/or frequency to achieve the correct balance of ingestion and efficiency.

We all react differently especially when it comes to various medications including dutasteride, another prostrate drug. And finasteride has a long shelf-life so IMHO, there is some room for adjustment which again is my personal opinion.

Wishing you the best Jcm800 as you contemplate your informed decisions. And the key word my friend is informed...
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

A much appreciated reply there Sir. Thank you.

I guess another aspect, and the one that really does scare me.. Is post Finasteride syndrome. Crashing a couple of weeks after cessation of the drug.

That really is a cruel twist of fate if it occurs.

That and gynaecomastia, those two potential conditions frighten the life out of me. Oh and brain fog.

I appreciate the 1mg dosage is the approved amount as well. I actually went to see my GP and asked about Finasteride a year ago, he didn't have much idea, just said "take it, every drug has side effects, go for it".

I'm soon to turn 45, getting older but still youngish looking for my age. Hairloss is becoming noticeable now tho. I do feel Fin could help me, but damn, it's hard making the decision.

Thanks kindly for your informative replies.
    Last edited by Jcm800; 01-29-2014 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Typo