+ Reply to Thread

Default How Much Do You Think My Hairloss Has Progressed (PHOTOS)

I am going to post the link of two sets of photos that I have taken:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79169759@N05/

This first link contains photos that I took a little under 2 years ago (April 2012) before I started propecia (June 2012)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/115263808@N06/

This second set was taken today (January 2014) and I have remained on propecia since June 2012.

I am curious what people think. Does my hairloss seem like it has progressed or remained similar. I do not feel like it has been too aggressive, possibly thinned a little bit more. I am 23 years old. Does my hairloss seem extreme for my age or would I be a good candidate for hair transplant within the next few years. The distinct line of scalp you can see pretty much divides thinning hair at the front with thicker hair behind it.

This is really starting to get me down, I can still style it a bit but it is bad under wind. I just have no confidence anymore and it feels like its really damaging my youth. This is a time in my life when I want to be dating and being happy and as much as I try to ignore it, hair loss is really damaging me mentally.

Thanks for your time!

"This is really starting to get me down, I can still style it a bit but it is bad under wind. I just have no confidence anymore and it feels like its really damaging my youth. This is a time in my life when I want to be dating and being happy and as much as I try to ignore it, hair loss is really damaging me mentally."

well your new pics do not show your hairline and temple angles as the first set does so one can't compare recession if any

23 is usually young to consider a HT but your case may warrant it if you have the right hair characteristics, balding pattern and expectations of which areas you want corrected. Every case is unique.

It is good that you are on Propecia, which most odds recommend using for one year before HT

Since you feel as strongly as you do about your current hair's state (see quote above), i would recommend you go on a few consults, if only to allay your fears, address your concerns and give you a plan for the future.

i know for me "having a plan" (no matter how long in the future it is) always puts me at ease

Hard to tell if there is any progression, pictures from similar angles and lighting would be helpful. From what I can tell it doesn't appear to have progressed much if any.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JSmyth View Post
    I am curious what people think. Does my hairloss seem like it has progressed or remained similar. I do not feel like it has been too aggressive, possibly thinned a little bit more. I am 23 years old. Does my hairloss seem extreme for my age or would I be a good candidate for hair transplant within the next few years. The distinct line of scalp you can see pretty much divides thinning hair at the front with thicker hair behind it.

This is really starting to get me down, I can still style it a bit but it is bad under wind. I just have no confidence anymore and it feels like its really damaging my youth. This is a time in my life when I want to be dating and being happy and as much as I try to ignore it, hair loss is really damaging me mentally.

Thanks for your time!
    It's difficult to tell from the photos.

Do you have much hair loss in you family? How was your mother's father's hair? How about your mother's brothers. How about your father.

Some men experience some hair loss at an early age that progresses to a certain level then stops. My brother in law was like that. If you can tolerate Propecia, stick with it. Also don't be afraid to brush your scalp and massage it. Minoxidil helps a little mostly in the back.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Hi JSmyth , thanks for the thread..
    I am in total agreement with 35YrsAfter (Chuck) and Notcoolanymore.

I would say this much though, the photos taken in "January 2014"
    show you to have a very good head of hair.
    Could you please take photos "from similar angles and lighting.."
    as Notcoolanymore had suggested, we could possibly add more to our points of view.

It's difficult to tell because of different angles but your 2014 photos show that you have very healthy and thick hair. As far as the hairline goes, you are not showing it in the 2014 pics so we can not tell.