+ Reply to Thread

Default Shedding In Phases?

Hey all, I'm coming in strong on my 6th full month on fin, minox and keto - minox just on hairline.

I never really had a beginning shed phase, it kind of just has been a month to month thing where sometimes I'd lose a bunch of hairs over the course of a week or two and then none and then some hair, then none, etc.

For the last month or so I started really "shedding" a lot more than normal, which I thought was odd for this far into treatment. Like 10-20 hairs per shower that were decently colored in my hand after shampoo. Last few days it's been like 20-30 and it's freaking me out because I've gained ground so far since starting until now!

Obviously I'm in this for the long run at this point, but is this common or just my personal case of ridiculousness that goes along with treatment? I think overall my hair looks better since starting and I'm back to my hairstyle from last year at this time confidently - which is great for me - but I don't know what's going on now!

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm a NW2ish with minimal cowlick crown thinning.

I have heard of people going through something called synchronized shedding. I don't think it is uncommon for people who are treating their hair loss to go through it. Spencer has talked about going through the same thing as you are early in his treatment for his hair loss. Hopefully it is only something we may have to go through early on during our treatment, and not something we need to deal with every few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    I have heard of people going through something called synchronized shedding. I don't think it is uncommon for people who are treating their hair loss to go through it. Spencer has talked about going through the same thing as you are early in his treatment for his hair loss. Hopefully it is only something we may have to go through early on during our treatment, and not something we need to deal with every few months.
    I mean, it's still shedding the crappy hairs though. But some of them are "new" crappy hairs as they are smaller in length.. I guess we'll see in the coming weeks if I end up needing to just buzz my head - I'm basically at the point of saying to hell with trying to keep it long to hide what I've lost, and if I lose anymore it will become noticeable. I'd rather lean into it...

I'm just mostly worried because my experience on meds have been inconsistent with the information on treatment. I'm wondering if it's changing my hair for the better, or if my hair is just continuing on it's course with some changes.

I didn't really have a real "shed", but instead a period of increased shedding of weaker hairs that ramped up overtime during month 2-3 and then stopped, and now suddenly restarted it seems like in month 5-6.

My shedding halted almost immediately when starting the drug, too, as I was shedding before use which prompted me to just 'go for it'.

My hair overall is much better than immediately before starting, also darker for some reason.

So this is still going on, I clean my sink daily because I can't stand looking at all the fallen hair.

It's sort of becoming depressing.

Like, I can definitely notice my hairline is thinner than a month ago. Which is extremely saddening.

It's been at least a straight month of this shedding now.

Quote Originally Posted by redy View Post
    So this is still going on, I clean my sink daily because I can't stand looking at all the fallen hair.

Like, I can definitely notice my hairline is thinner than a month ago. Which is extremely saddening.

Keep your chin up bro. I'm in the same boat except my loss stopped just after four months for a couple of weeks until I upped the dose to 0.5mg every day and I've been shedding since (heading into 7 months after having started treatment now though its starting to cease again).

You'll come good, shedding is a good sign and unfortunately if what we're losing doesn't return for both of us then it its just not meant to be.

Quote Originally Posted by redy View Post

I started fin about 18 months ago:

- 1st month or two: massive shed, large numbers of hair would just fall throughout the day
    - Then it stabilized and got some regrowth.
    - Now I'm another massive shed -- hair falling all day everyday. I'm hoping it's like before and that it stabilizes and I get some (most?) of that hair back.

Yeah, it sucks. I don't know if it's an effect of the finasteride or if this would have happened regardless.

In any case you're not "alone", I went through something similar and chose to hold out. I certainly won't tell you to do the same, but that's what I did with my first shed and what I'm doing now. I wish I had some better advice than that for you.