Closed Thread

Default Dr. Rahal's IAHRS membership?

Was just looking at the IAHRS membership page on a whim, and Dr. Rahal's name is no longer listed. Was his membership actually revoked? I'd be shocked if a surgeon of his skill and reputation was removed from the IAHRS. I know Spencer is stringent with membership, but booting someone who's pretty universally acclaimed as being among the top surgeons in the world is a pretty big deal.

It doesn't impact my decision to go with him for my next procedure in the least, but I'm curious.

Same thing happened with Dr. Mackenzie from Toronto (although obviously not well known compared to Rahal), I wonder why it happened for both of them...

Maybe they just decided it wasn't worth paying the yearly membership fee.

It was an issue with Ontario law that didn't allow for promotion unfair to other doctors or something. Another crappy doctor filed a claim against him and he had to withdraw from a lot of membership/accreditation organizations. I think he has since disputed and won this, however, so he may be back again soon. I know he had to withdrawal from other organizations, but has recently been able to rejoin.

Quote Originally Posted by greatjob! View Post
    It was an issue with Ontario law that didn't allow for promotion unfair to other doctors or something. Another crappy doctor filed a claim against him and he had to withdraw from a lot of membership/accreditation organizations. I think he has since disputed and won this, however, so he may be back again soon. I know he had to withdrawal from other organizations, but has recently been able to rejoin.
    Interesting to know. I'm an attorney and practice advertising law in the U.S., and know from clients' experiences that Canada has some pretty restrictive regulations of advertising, competition, etc. For example, they only allow companies with Canadian corporate registrations or Canadian trademark registrations to own '.ca' domain registrations.

Hopefully he'll be back on board soon--it's a shame not to have one of the world's top docs on the IAHRS rolls.

Yeah so it's been a few years since this thread had a reply. I've noticed that dr rahals name is still not on iahrs membership list. Yet he displays it on his website as a member??? I'm confused here? If he's not a member then why does his website say he is?

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
    Yeah so it's been a few years since this thread had a reply. I've noticed that dr rahals name is still not on iahrs membership list. Yet he displays it on his website as a member??? I'm confused here? If he's not a member then why does his website say he is?
    I think this explains it all.
    "It was an issue with Ontario law that didn't allow for promotion unfair to other doctors or something. Another crappy doctor filed a claim against him and he had to withdraw from a lot of membership/accreditation organizations. I think he has since disputed and won this, however, so he may be back again soon. I know he had to withdrawal from other organizations, but has recently been able to rejoin."

I can only assume that based on Ontario Law, he might not be able to be listed on specific types of organizations websites that are more forthright about their selection process, basically saying that some doctors are better than others, but since he still has access to this forum he must still be in good standing. I know that I hear Joe Tillman still speak of him very highly on Spencer's show.

I think a rahal rep should address this issue....

I'm sure he's a great doc etc.....

But

If he's officially not a member then the rahal website should take down the iahrs logo... Sorry to say but it's misleading.... And I'm sure they don't want a misleading reputation....

Either way it would be great to get a response from a rahal rep....

Arrow

Dear Sirius,

Dr. Rahal was accepted into the IAHRS and has permission to display the IAHRS seal on his website. Please take the time to read our Forum Posting Rules & Terms of Service.