+ Reply to Thread

Default Need Advice Please

My husband lost his hair pretty bad when he was 19. He was under a lot of stress due to family issues. Ever since it grew back, he has become obsessed with never losing it again. This past year we lost our jobs, and our son. Needless to say the stress has returned, and so has the hair loss. He thinks it is male pattern baldness and has been very depressed. I think it is stress related again, but he says last time he lost his hair in the front. This time it's near his cowlick. I've decided to post some pictures (with his permission) to see what everyone else thinks. There is no loss in the front, or anywhere else, just the one spot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140111_014.jpg

Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	24711   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140111_016.jpg

Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	24712   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140116_003.jpg

Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	24713   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140116_015.jpg

Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	24714  

Sorry to hear about everything that's happened, and it's great you are supportive of him.

If you two are in a position financially to have him see a dermatologist, I would strongly suggest that. While stress-related hair loss, TE, is certainly a real thing, MBP is also very real and more prevelant.

No one here is going to be able to conclusively say that your husband has one or the other or a combination.

The fact that his hairline is intact is good. Should it be MPB, they say that crown is much more responsive to treatment than the front.

Good luck.

Sorry about all the tragedy in your life, hopefully things turn around soon. Looking at the pics, usually I would say it is MPB. Since you said he lost hair due to stress before and grew it all back, makes me unsure.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frankit23 View Post
    My husband lost his hair pretty bad when he was 19. He was under a lot of stress due to family issues. Ever since it grew back, he has become obsessed with never losing it again. This past year we lost our jobs, and our son. Needless to say the stress has returned, and so has the hair loss. He thinks it is male pattern baldness and has been very depressed. I think it is stress related again, but he says last time he lost his hair in the front. This time it's near his cowlick. I've decided to post some pictures (with his permission) to see what everyone else thinks. There is no loss in the front, or anywhere else, just the one spot.
    I am sorry to hear about your loss. What is your husband's age? Has he ever taken Propecia, Avodart or used minoxidil?

Chuck

My husband is 23. No, he has never taken anything. The confusing part is that the loss isn't following a particular pattern. There is just like a line of thin hair next to his cowlick. He did switch shampoos recently, and that seems to have made his hair look a bit fuller, except for that line.

And thank you to everyone. It has been a long hard road, but things are starting to get better.

Here is an updated post after the shampoo use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg

Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	24754  

Try cheap option like natures alive multi vitamin LIQUID, black tea also is good stress. Hair oils left over night, castor oil, coconut oil, emu oil, almond oil, mustard are great.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frankit23 View Post
    My husband is 23. No, he has never taken anything. The confusing part is that the loss isn't following a particular pattern. There is just like a line of thin hair next to his cowlick. He did switch shampoos recently, and that seems to have made his hair look a bit fuller, except for that line.
    Does your husband have hair loss in his family? The mother's father and her brothers seem to have the greatest influence. Next is the father's hair loss. MPB can be held back with Propecia to varying degrees. The frustrating thing about Propecia is, the hair often sheds before it begins to improve. In your husband's case that could cause more stress which can contribute to hair loss. If you live near Atlanta, it may be convenient for you to stop by our clinic for a HairCheck. We offer HairCheck at no charge. Just call to make an appointment.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck