+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default 20y/o Fin 0.5mg EOD... The Simple Journey :-P

Hi everyone!

I guess I'll start a quick introduction and share my story with you all. I'm 20 years old at the time of writing this, and on both sides of my family I have baldness, at an early age, in a diffuse pattern and at a fairly aggressive rate.

My grandfather on my mother's side lost pretty much all of his hair by the time he was 18, along with my uncles on that side too. Dad is a NW6. I pretty much told myself that it was only a matter of time. I spent a long time reading up on forums, watching videos, hearing people's opinions, just deciding what I'd do. I knew from reading up that the earlier you catch it and start the better.

So away I went, looking for any sign of balding. Anything. Then it happened, I started thinning around the top, and I could tell because I was waiting for it, I could feel patches of scalp that I couldn't feel prior, I started to recede a little on the temples... It was fading slowly.

So I did what most people would do in the situation I was in, attempt to treat it! I got a prescription from my doctor for Minoxidil, which didn't do much for me. A bit ticked off, a few months later I gave Finasteride a try. The legit stuff, quite expensive might I add. Cut the tablets into quarters with a pill cutter, and off I went. 0.25mg EOD to begin with.

I experienced terrible aches and pains at first, but they subsided after the first week. I got all of the minor sides you could get from Fin, it was like a mixed bag. But now, 5 months after I took my first fin tablet, I'm here having 0.5mg EOD, and I am experiencing no noticeable side effects in *any* department.

The only side effect I seem to be experiencing is hair growth! It's been a crazy ride but I think I'm slowly getting better. It's even worked on my temples which I was not expecting at all! At this point in time, after a brief shed 2 months ago, my hair feels and looks much thicker even when it's short, and my crown has filled in. Even my hairdresser is commenting on it and wants to give it a go!

Anyways, here's a picture of my progress so far. Before being on the left, After on the right.

Maybe I'm just imagining it, but I'm sure it's got better. The pictures on the left are from March 2013. On the right (after) were taken just before writing this post. (January 2014)

Best of luck guys with your regimens. You'll get there! I'll happily answer any questions or try to provide better pictures. I'm sorry about some of them being bad in advance, I never really planned to publicly document any of this. I'd just like to let people know that if you research it and stick with a regimen, you could just find the results you're after!

<3

http://i.imgur.com/YDdJXnP.jpg

The pictures aren't great, and I can't tell if you look better after. But I really don't see any loss, and I think your crown just has a cowlick. With such extensive loss on both sides of the family, though, it'd be a miracle if you didn't experience some level of noticeable loss by 30 (or earlier). So you're doing the right thing--treat early. If you're having success with fin, try slowly tapering onto the full 1.25mg per day. I spent two months doing a taper on and have had no side effects. Think about adding Rogaine to the mix. Nature will probably catch up at some point over the long term, but you should be able to really mitigate the effects of MPB for at least the next decade or so (probably longer).

Quote Originally Posted by win200 View Post
    The pictures aren't great, and I can't tell if you look better after. But I really don't see any loss, and I think your crown just has a cowlick. With such extensive loss on both sides of the family, though, it'd be a miracle if you didn't experience some level of noticeable loss by 30 (or earlier). So you're doing the right thing--treat early. If you're having success with fin, try slowly tapering onto the full 1.25mg per day. I spent two months doing a taper on and have had no side effects. Think about adding Rogaine to the mix. Nature will probably catch up at some point over the long term, but you should be able to really mitigate the effects of MPB for at least the next decade or so (probably longer).
    How would you suggest to taper to 1.25mg per day? I'm currently on 1.25mg EOD.

Quote Originally Posted by akai View Post
    How would you suggest to taper to 1.25mg per day? I'm currently on 1.25mg EOD.
    Do something like 1.25mg EOD, then .625mg (if you can cut pieces that small with a pill cutter) on the other days for two weeks, then go to 1.25mg every day.

Quote Originally Posted by jde1993 View Post
    Hi everyone!

I guess I'll start a quick introduction and share my story with you all. I'm 20 years old at the time of writing this, and on both sides of my family I have baldness, at an early age, in a diffuse pattern and at a fairly aggressive rate.

My grandfather on my mother's side lost pretty much all of his hair by the time he was 18, along with my uncles on that side too. Dad is a NW6. I pretty much told myself that it was only a matter of time. I spent a long time reading up on forums, watching videos, hearing people's opinions, just deciding what I'd do. I knew from reading up that the earlier you catch it and start the better.

So away I went, looking for any sign of balding. Anything. Then it happened, I started thinning around the top, and I could tell because I was waiting for it, I could feel patches of scalp that I couldn't feel prior, I started to recede a little on the temples... It was fading slowly.

So I did what most people would do in the situation I was in, attempt to treat it! I got a prescription from my doctor for Minoxidil, which didn't do much for me. A bit ticked off, a few months later I gave Finasteride a try. The legit stuff, quite expensive might I add. Cut the tablets into quarters with a pill cutter, and off I went. 0.25mg EOD to begin with.

I experienced terrible aches and pains at first, but they subsided after the first week. I got all of the minor sides you could get from Fin, it was like a mixed bag. But now, 5 months after I took my first fin tablet, I'm here having 0.5mg EOD, and I am experiencing no noticeable side effects in *any* department.

The only side effect I seem to be experiencing is hair growth! It's been a crazy ride but I think I'm slowly getting better. It's even worked on my temples which I was not expecting at all! At this point in time, after a brief shed 2 months ago, my hair feels and looks much thicker even when it's short, and my crown has filled in. Even my hairdresser is commenting on it and wants to give it a go!

Anyways, here's a picture of my progress so far. Before being on the left, After on the right.

Maybe I'm just imagining it, but I'm sure it's got better. The pictures on the left are from March 2013. On the right (after) were taken just before writing this post. (January 2014)

Best of luck guys with your regimens. You'll get there! I'll happily answer any questions or try to provide better pictures. I'm sorry about some of them being bad in advance, I never really planned to publicly document any of this. I'd just like to let people know that if you research it and stick with a regimen, you could just find the results you're after!

<3

http://i.imgur.com/YDdJXnP.jpg
    Your temples look like they have worsened, you can see a V shape forming.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahyeahyeah View Post
    I think that might just be the styling. His hair is longer in the first picture and puffing down over his hairline a bit. Also, he's shaved his sideburns differently in the second pic, which changes the appearance of his temple peaks. I really don't think there's a noticeable difference. No reason to change the regimen, but you're in good shape at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by win200 View Post
    I think that might just be the styling. His hair is longer in the first picture and puffing down over his hairline a bit. Also, he's shaved his sideburns differently in the second pic, which changes the appearance of his temple peaks. I really don't think there's a noticeable difference. No reason to change the regimen, but you're in good shape at this point.
    Top right - look closely his corners have receeded.

You can even see the velius hairs.

That is how my hairloss happened.

Top right - look closely his corners have receeded.

That is how my hairloss happened.
    Either way OP I wouldn't worry, by the time you are my age - 28. There will be better solutions out there.

Either way OP I wouldn't worry, by the time you are my age - 28. There will be better solutions out there.
    Still not sure I see it, but you're right--time is on your side. Lots of interesting stuff is on the horizon, and you're young with a great head of hair. Just do what you can to maintain it; once it's gone, it's much, much harder to bring back. Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, as the saying goes.

No, his temple points have regrown