+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 20y/o Fin 0.5mg EOD... The Simple Journey :-P

Hi everyone!

I guess I'll start a quick introduction and share my story with you all. I'm 20 years old at the time of writing this, and on both sides of my family I have baldness, at an early age, in a diffuse pattern and at a fairly aggressive rate.

My grandfather on my mother's side lost pretty much all of his hair by the time he was 18, along with my uncles on that side too. Dad is a NW6. I pretty much told myself that it was only a matter of time. I spent a long time reading up on forums, watching videos, hearing people's opinions, just deciding what I'd do. I knew from reading up that the earlier you catch it and start the better.

So away I went, looking for any sign of balding. Anything. Then it happened, I started thinning around the top, and I could tell because I was waiting for it, I could feel patches of scalp that I couldn't feel prior, I started to recede a little on the temples... It was fading slowly.

So I did what most people would do in the situation I was in, attempt to treat it! I got a prescription from my doctor for Minoxidil, which didn't do much for me. A bit ticked off, a few months later I gave Finasteride a try. The legit stuff, quite expensive might I add. Cut the tablets into quarters with a pill cutter, and off I went. 0.25mg EOD to begin with.

I experienced terrible aches and pains at first, but they subsided after the first week. I got all of the minor sides you could get from Fin, it was like a mixed bag. But now, 5 months after I took my first fin tablet, I'm here having 0.5mg EOD, and I am experiencing no noticeable side effects in *any* department.

The only side effect I seem to be experiencing is hair growth! It's been a crazy ride but I think I'm slowly getting better. It's even worked on my temples which I was not expecting at all! At this point in time, after a brief shed 2 months ago, my hair feels and looks much thicker even when it's short, and my crown has filled in. Even my hairdresser is commenting on it and wants to give it a go!

Anyways, here's a picture of my progress so far. Before being on the left, After on the right.

Maybe I'm just imagining it, but I'm sure it's got better. The pictures on the left are from March 2013. On the right (after) were taken just before writing this post. (January 2014)

Best of luck guys with your regimens. You'll get there! I'll happily answer any questions or try to provide better pictures. I'm sorry about some of them being bad in advance, I never really planned to publicly document any of this. I'd just like to let people know that if you research it and stick with a regimen, you could just find the results you're after!

<3

http://i.imgur.com/YDdJXnP.jpg

The pictures aren't great, and I can't tell if you look better after. But I really don't see any loss, and I think your crown just has a cowlick. With such extensive loss on both sides of the family, though, it'd be a miracle if you didn't experience some level of noticeable loss by 30 (or earlier). So you're doing the right thing--treat early. If you're having success with fin, try slowly tapering onto the full 1.25mg per day. I spent two months doing a taper on and have had no side effects. Think about adding Rogaine to the mix. Nature will probably catch up at some point over the long term, but you should be able to really mitigate the effects of MPB for at least the next decade or so (probably longer).

Quote Originally Posted by jde1993 View Post
    Hi everyone!

I guess I'll start a quick introduction and share my story with you all. I'm 20 years old at the time of writing this, and on both sides of my family I have baldness, at an early age, in a diffuse pattern and at a fairly aggressive rate.

My grandfather on my mother's side lost pretty much all of his hair by the time he was 18, along with my uncles on that side too. Dad is a NW6. I pretty much told myself that it was only a matter of time. I spent a long time reading up on forums, watching videos, hearing people's opinions, just deciding what I'd do. I knew from reading up that the earlier you catch it and start the better.

So away I went, looking for any sign of balding. Anything. Then it happened, I started thinning around the top, and I could tell because I was waiting for it, I could feel patches of scalp that I couldn't feel prior, I started to recede a little on the temples... It was fading slowly.

So I did what most people would do in the situation I was in, attempt to treat it! I got a prescription from my doctor for Minoxidil, which didn't do much for me. A bit ticked off, a few months later I gave Finasteride a try. The legit stuff, quite expensive might I add. Cut the tablets into quarters with a pill cutter, and off I went. 0.25mg EOD to begin with.

I experienced terrible aches and pains at first, but they subsided after the first week. I got all of the minor sides you could get from Fin, it was like a mixed bag. But now, 5 months after I took my first fin tablet, I'm here having 0.5mg EOD, and I am experiencing no noticeable side effects in *any* department.

The only side effect I seem to be experiencing is hair growth! It's been a crazy ride but I think I'm slowly getting better. It's even worked on my temples which I was not expecting at all! At this point in time, after a brief shed 2 months ago, my hair feels and looks much thicker even when it's short, and my crown has filled in. Even my hairdresser is commenting on it and wants to give it a go!

Anyways, here's a picture of my progress so far. Before being on the left, After on the right.

Maybe I'm just imagining it, but I'm sure it's got better. The pictures on the left are from March 2013. On the right (after) were taken just before writing this post. (January 2014)

Best of luck guys with your regimens. You'll get there! I'll happily answer any questions or try to provide better pictures. I'm sorry about some of them being bad in advance, I never really planned to publicly document any of this. I'd just like to let people know that if you research it and stick with a regimen, you could just find the results you're after!

<3

Your temples look like they have worsened, you can see a V shape forming.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahyeahyeah View Post
    Your temples look like they have worsened, you can see a V shape forming.
    I think that might just be the styling. His hair is longer in the first picture and puffing down over his hairline a bit. Also, he's shaved his sideburns differently in the second pic, which changes the appearance of his temple peaks. I really don't think there's a noticeable difference. No reason to change the regimen, but you're in good shape at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by win200 View Post
    I think that might just be the styling. His hair is longer in the first picture and puffing down over his hairline a bit. Also, he's shaved his sideburns differently in the second pic, which changes the appearance of his temple peaks. I really don't think there's a noticeable difference. No reason to change the regimen, but you're in good shape at this point.
    Top right - look closely his corners have receeded.

You can even see the velius hairs.

That is how my hairloss happened.

Top right - look closely his corners have receeded.

That is how my hairloss happened.
    Either way OP I wouldn't worry, by the time you are my age - 28. There will be better solutions out there.

Either way OP I wouldn't worry, by the time you are my age - 28. There will be better solutions out there.
    Still not sure I see it, but you're right--time is on your side. Lots of interesting stuff is on the horizon, and you're young with a great head of hair. Just do what you can to maintain it; once it's gone, it's much, much harder to bring back. Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, as the saying goes.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jde1993 View Post
    Hi everyone!

<3

Evaluating the effectiveness of hair loss treatments with your own eyes is difficult. There is a hair loss evaluation device and system called HairCheck. HairCheck basically compares the "hair mass" of the donor area which is usually permanent to that of the areas where hair loss commonly occurs. Those numbers are kept on file, so when you take Propecia for let's say, 3 years, you can return and compare the numbers. A slight improvement that gradually takes place over several years can be measured using the HairCheck system, where an individual's visual assessment is often inconclusive. We offer a free HairCheck. If you're in the Atlanta area, call our patient coordinator to make an appointment. Also Dr. Cole mentioned to me that even though Avodart is a more powerful hair loss medication, you can take smaller amounts and sometimes avoid side effects. Same goes for Propecia, if you're taking Avodart. In other words, a man may have sides with one and not with the other.

BTW... I got hit with hair loss from both sides of my family as well. You're in a lot better shape in 2014 than I was when I was 20. There was nothing but snake oil for hair loss when I was 20 and shaving was considered odd.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 01-15-2014 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    Evaluating the effectiveness of hair loss treatments with your own eyes is difficult. There is a hair loss evaluation device and system called HairCheck. HairCheck basically compares the "hair mass" of the donor area which is usually permanent to that of the areas where hair loss commonly occurs. Those numbers are kept on file, so when you take Propecia for let's say, 3 years, you can return and compare the numbers. A slight improvement that gradually takes place over several years can be measured using the HairCheck system, where an individual's visual assessment is often inconclusive. We offer a free HairCheck. If you're in the Atlanta area, call our patient coordinator to make an appointment. Also Dr. Cole mentioned to me that even though Avodart is a more powerful hair loss medication, you can take smaller amounts and sometimes avoid side effects. Same goes for Propecia, if you're taking Avodart. In other words, a man may have sides with one and not with the other.

BTW... I got hit with hair loss from both sides of my family as well. You're in a lot better shape in 2014 than I was when I was 20. There was nothing but snake oil for hair loss when I was 20 and shaving was considered odd.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck
    Hair Check is a great option if someone in town has it. But doesn't your hair have to be roughly 3" long for it to work?

Take a look at Avodart, too. It's another systemic DHT inhibitor, but much more potent than finasteride (but that means higher potential for side effects). Unlike finasteride, it's not approved for hair loss, but many docs will prescribe it for that anyway. I've been on it for a month and haven't had any problems, and there are plenty of guys who have been poor or mediocre finasteride responders who had much better results with Avodart (active drug is dutasteride). My feeling is that I'd just prefer to hold onto as much hair as I possibly can now by using the most potent drug, but that's a highly individualized stance. Dutasteride's functionality is much different than finasteride's because it inhibits 5-alpha reductase types I and II, whereas finasteride only blocks type II. Neurologically, this is a whole different ballgame with more unknown factors with long-term use. But something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by win200 View Post
    Hair Check is a great option if someone in town has it. But doesn't your hair have to be roughly 3" long for it to work?

Take a look at Avodart, too. It's another systemic DHT inhibitor, but much more potent than finasteride (but that means higher potential for side effects). Unlike finasteride, it's not approved for hair loss, but many docs will prescribe it for that anyway. I've been on it for a month and haven't had any problems, and there are plenty of guys who have been poor or mediocre finasteride responders who had much better results with Avodart (active drug is dutasteride). My feeling is that I'd just prefer to hold onto as much hair as I possibly can now by using the most potent drug, but that's a highly individualized stance. Dutasteride's functionality is much different than finasteride's because it inhibits 5-alpha reductase types I and II, whereas finasteride only blocks type II. Neurologically, this is a whole different ballgame with more unknown factors with long-term use. But something to consider.
    Take less dut you can inhibit less 5ar1 and the same or more 5ar2 as fin does. Also if your genotype makes you a better responder to dut this could be wise.