Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector93
    • Sep 2013

Finasteride & Antidepressants

Without going into detail I am now depressed. My GP knows that I am on finasteride and has prescribed me sertraline hydrochloride for the depression. I specifically asked for an antidepressant with no hair loss sides as I am aware that a few do have these and I reckoned it would be better to be on the safe side.

After researching the drug online and am a bit annoyed with my GP as some of the possible listed side effects of sertraline are:

Uncommon:
    - "hair loss"......

Common:
    - "sexual dysfunction including ejaculation problems or erectile dysfunction. Sexual dysfunction may affect men and women"

Does anyone have any experience/ advice with using finasteride and antidepressants at the same time. I have never been on ADs before and am relatively new to fin. Really not feeling too confident about being on two drugs at once with potential sexual sides - but might just be reading too much into it. Thanks for reading.
  • FlightTL
    • Jun 2011

I had severe depression. Still suffer from it because of the emotional pain from hair loss and other things that happened in life.

I never took a single Anti-depression medication at all ever, and I don't have anything against it, but I do want to say that there are ways to naturally feel a bit happier:

1. exercise always makes me feel better
    2. sunlight
    3. sleep
    4. dark chocolate.

You can try and not take any Anti-depression meds and try this instead.

Good luck!

Comment

• 35YrsAfter
      Doctor Representative
      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by FlightTL
      I had severe depression. Still suffer from it because of the emotional pain from hair loss and other things that happened in life.

I never took a single Anti-depression medication at all ever, and I don't have anything against it, but I do want to say that there are ways to naturally feel a bit happier:
      2. sunlight
      3. sleep
      4. dark chocolate.
      Good luck!
      Repressed anger can cause depression. I get depressed If I get angry over something more than trivial and hold it in.

I heard a story a while back about a man who was so depressed, he decided to run until he dropped dead. One day he ran until he nearly passed out. Eventually running became a habit and he says the exercise cured his depression.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
      forhair.com
      Cole Hair Transplant
      1070 Powers Place
      Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
      Phone 678-566-1011
      email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
      The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
      Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
        • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Hector93
        Uncommon:
        - "hair loss"......

Common:
        - "sexual dysfunction including ejaculation problems or erectile dysfunction. Sexual dysfunction may affect men and women"

Damn! These sides are worse than those of fin!

Comment

• Dan26
          • Jul 2012

Look into ketamene for your depression, seriously.

Comment

• recedingone
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by FlightTL

2. sunlight
            3. sleep
            4. dark chocolate.

Good luck!
            While these things can certainly help, someone who is diagnosed by a doctor as being severely clinically depressed may actually NEED medication. It cant be fixed by getting some extra sleep, just like you cant grow your hair back by sleeping more. If a doctor is prescribing him meds, we should not be on here telling him not to take them because depression is serious and can be life threatening.

Hector, look into wellbutrin which has very low sexual side effects.

Comment

Working...