+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Shave Day 1/8/2014

I had an ongoing thread on the forums. Tried the big 3 in my mid twenties, worked great, had sides. The last 4 months, now 31, I got on the big 3 again, cut my fin dose in half to .50, started seeing very good results, no sides.

Well, I decided last night on a whim too take out the clippers and shave it off. Main reason being my hairline was just too forgone and I just said hell with it, if I don't like it I have hats and it will grow back. Keep in mind this was a decision I have pondered for a very long time. X wife said no way in hell. Next girlfriend said no way in hell. I didn't think I had the face or the dome to pull it off, at the very least, I know I looked better with hair. The problem was I will never have hair like I used to, nor will I ever again. So regardless of knowing I look better with hair, I said maybe the current version of you, given your hairline, would look better shaved (clippers not a razor)

I awoke today a free man for first time in the last 10 years. I got some mixed reviews at work, I got some people rubbing my head, I got some holy sheet that looks great! Point is, I got my mojo back. I also got an understanding of what people think when you go to such measures, which is exactly what I expected people would think. Some hated it, some loved it, some barely noticed. What mattered and what matters is how I felt. I'm not here to tell anybody to break out the clippers, I'm here to say don't be afraid to try. If you have a hairline to preserve and you want hair stay on the treatment. If your grasping at straws as I was, clinging to what little hair you have left or hoping for miracles, my god just try it.

Never in a million years did I think it would go so well. I feel for everybody on here because it's battle I have faced for over a decade. Watching my confidence erode as quick as my hairline was. Sometimes you just have to take a chance. Good luck to everybody on the forums, it was very nice chatting and I wish everybody the best of luck with the treatments they have.

Glad shaving was a liberating experience for you. When I finally buzzed my head, it was deflating. It felt like I was finally giving in to the fact that I was going bald. I wish I would have found this place much earlier. I wouldn't have had to go through all of this until later in life.

Probably wished you had done it earlier,
    As for the comments they'll stop once everyone gets used to seeing the
    " new " you
    Congratulations

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    Glad shaving was a liberating experience for you. When I finally buzzed my head, it was deflating. It felt like I was finally giving in to the fact that I was going bald. I wish I would have found this place much earlier. I wouldn't have had to go through all of this until later in life.
    That I can certainly agree with. My closest friend has insane MPB in his family, every male. You could see it start going at 19-20, he got on fin right then, he's my age/31 and it looks like he has 100% of his hair. No sign of any baldness. Problems was, I just started too dame late. Maybe 1 other male in my family has MPB, started probably at 20 or so, at least marginal signs. Denial until at least 24. By the time I started treatment I was on the late side of my 20's. To take the big 3 indefinitely in an attempt to save what I have now, it's just not worth it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE52 View Post
    Probably wished you had done it earlier,
    As for the comments they'll stop once everyone gets used to seeing the
    " new " you
    Congratulations
    Thanks, I'm just trying to embrace the positives. I mean I look different, very different. As attractive? No, I have very pronounced features to my face and when you do this all of those features tend to get even more pronounced. But I certainly think I look much more domineering, younger as well.A domineering look and confidence sure as hell can get you a long way in life. So I guess it's just a newer way of looking at things and yes, I wish I would have at least tried it once much sooner.

I am really happy you are "owning" your new look. Winning the battle of hair loss doesn't mean growing back all your hair, it's about accepting and being happy again with what you look like. Congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    I am really happy you are "owning" your new look. Winning the battle of hair loss doesn't mean growing back all your hair, it's about accepting and being happy again with what you look like. Congratulations.
    Truth

WOW!

thanks for that inspiring post

good for you and congratulations

(even though they have been a godsend and have their place) getting off these forums and getting on with life, must be liberating in and of itself

BRAVO!

Nice. I always like the feeling of a nice head shave and I still buzz or shave my head on a regular basis which I have done since i was a teen and now pushing 40. I shaved my head so frequently in my 30s, It wasn't even obvious I was losing hair. I buzzed my head for years even with a full thick head of hair. My Gf liked the look, it takes away the gray and makes you look younger and more of a badass, if thats at all important to you.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrJangles View Post
    Never in a million years did I think it would go so well. I feel for everybody on here because it's battle I have faced for over a decade. Watching my confidence erode as quick as my hairline was. Sometimes you just have to take a chance. Good luck to everybody on the forums, it was very nice chatting and I wish everybody the best of luck with the treatments they have.
    I have a brother who is two years younger. He started losing his hair about ten years after I did. His went fast. Women don't generally seem to care. He now shaves his head and I doubt he gives much thought to his hair loss. When I was around 28 I had transplants and I know a lot of my donor was wasted. Young guys with hair loss are far better off in 2014. There was nothing when I was young but plugs and hairpieces.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck