+ Reply to Thread

Thumbs up [20 y/o] Starting treatment

Hello everyone! I'm about to turn 20, and have decided to finally do something about my hairloss that I've had since I was 17/18.

The last few years I've been very cautious and obsessive about my hair, but everyone has told me that I had nothing to worry about etc, a story I feel many here are able to relate to.

However, in the last ½ year or so, I've progressed from a ) shape to a characteristic U shape, and I can no longer deny that my hairline is receding, I've seen two GPs so far, the first told me that there was nothing to spot, which I can follow, as I have very, thick fair, despite my hairline, however, the second I made sure to aware of the actual recession, and she agreed that something was going on - but was hesitant on prescriping me medication as she thought I was within reasonable doubt. She did however give me a referral to a dermatologist, but as that would require waiting for 3 months, I'll be going back to my GP this monday in order to get a prescription for Propecia.

I'm keeping my hair loss a secret for now, I doubt anyone apart from my immediate family who I've confided in suspect I am losing hair, as my hair is thick for now, I am however, what I'd consider a solid norwood 2 (My head is rather big, and I've always had a bit of a U shape, so I don't consider the recession very harsh). My father has the same hairloss progression, and like me, does not have loss of hair on his scalp, only on the sides and thinning in general, judging from pictures, it is very apparent that I've inherited his hairline. As he also started balding about this time, so I'm fairly sure it's safe to say.

Knowing that treatment of hairloss does not always work, I'm not getting my hopes up too high, and I'm considering buzzcutting so that applying minoxidil will be easier, as well as getting used to the thought of having less hair than I have - that being said, I'm very interested in hearing the stories of other people who started having problems around my age - it seems as if my father has kept his norwood 3-4 into his 50s, and never progressed beyond it, but I know everyones different.

I would love to hear from someone regarding how I go about this in the best way regarding medication, nutrition etc. I used to work out a lot, and the routines are kinda similair - allegorically.

For now I plan to use the Propecia, minoxidil, and a nizoral shampoo (I have some scalp eczema anyways, so I guess I'll be doing the same as many others.

Does anyone have any good tips or tricks I should know before I go down this path?

I've saved up a lot of money for medication like this, so for the first 5 years or so, I'll be using propecia (this is granted I see no further recession or thinning after the 12 month mark)

I acknowledge that propecia and minoxidil has side effects, and I've made peace with the possibility of these, and concluded that for you do in life, there are risks to consider. ¨

I hope everyones having a great start of the year, and that for those who choose treatment, it'll be a good year.

I will probably restrict most of my posts to my own threads, as I don't want to obsess too much over it, but I'll be sure to aware you of any side effects/problems along the line of my "treatment".

I'll leave on my favorite quote by Randy Pausch

"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand"

My story is very similar to yours, except I didn't start losing my hair until about 21/22. I started going from the same ) to a U shape. Unlike you though, I started treating my hair loss very late. I was 37 when I finally started treating my hair loss. I talked to doctors and they all pretty much told me there was nothing I could do. It wasn't until I did my own research last year that I realized there were treatments that can work.

You are doing things the right way, being proactive and that is good. Don't let anybody try to convince you that you are not balding. Hair loss is a battle that is time sensitive, the earlier you treat it the better the chances of recovery.

As far as working out and nutrition go. I highly doubt working out will do anything to hurt your hair, so keep at. Nutrition has minimal to do with hair loss, but I would like to think better eating habits can result in better quality hair and growth.

I use the big 3. I started with minox and keto shampoo, about a month after, I got on fin. If I was in your position I would start on fin and nizoral only. I have nothing at all against minoxidil. I use it and would say it works. Just like you, I also have scalp issues. Not saying it will happen to you, but minoxidil irritates my scalp. My scalp had been healthy for years until starting minox. So just keep that in mind. It hasn't been long since you started losing hair so fin might be enough for you to recover and stabilize for years to come.

Lastly, there are things that I am sure you have heard before, and I will repeat them here. First, be prepared for things to get a little worse before they get better. You will most likely experience a shed. It doesn't necessarily have to be devastating, but just be prepared. Also, stick with your regimen, give it time to work. Results may happen in short time, but for most of us it will take at least 6 months.

Any other questions or concerns just ask. There are plenty of guys around here willing to help. Good Luck.

space reserved for future updates

side note: is deleting prohibited?