+ Reply to Thread

Default Propecia Users Advice Needed

Hey Guys,

I used propecia about 1.5year ago and responded terribly to 2x 1mg doses, within 2 days I had ball ache, numbness down there and Dysfunction. Which took about 5 months to recover sexually. I also might add I tested my testosterone before and after my Free Testosterone went from 650 (300-1,100) Before propecia to crashing 220 (300-1,100) afterwards it has since improved. I am confident enough to give it another ago but rather than 1mg i was thinking about trying 1/5 1mg per 2 days to see how i react, i seemed to have reacted severely to the meds the first time around.

Any advice on this? or should I steer clear given my initial reaction to the drug.

I am 23, roughly NW2, minor thinning in crown. It has been steady for about 2 years, but slowed down using some of these products. I can see it progressing. Currently using Nizoral, Zinc tablet and occasionally RegenepureDR.

Whenever I started I read a post online advising people to taper up their finasteride dosage if they were getting sides. It was something like first week = one dose, second week = two dose, third week = three dose, etc. until you get to your chosen fin regimen.

Obviously you can do it however you choose, but considering you seem to be sensitive to the drug (bear in mind could also be placebo induced by anxiety and preconceived idea of sides), I would do it gradually and aim to evenly space your dose as much as possible. Maybe aim to build up to 0.25mg every other day and see how you feel - can always increase it if sides aren't there.

I also think cutting the pill into quarters would be better for more accuracy and less variation in dosage.

I'm not qualified or anything just a 20 year old guy who has been taking fin for 8 months with very minimal sides, so be careful whatever you choose to do. Try not to worry too much as this could definitely induce placebo effects!

Anyone?

Cool

Stop getting boggled down in forum posts and give propecia another try. A lot of times sexual dysfunction is caused by the person getting too anxious after taking propecia.

Thanks for the posts. I understand how you think it could be placebo etc, but my junk literally went numb and my testosterone levels plummeted, it was very real. So i'll probably try a lower dose just wanted advice..cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroes View Post
    Thanks for the posts. I understand how you think it could be placebo etc, but my junk literally went numb and my testosterone levels plummeted, it was very real. So i'll probably try a lower dose just wanted advice..cheers.
    Just my quick two cents on why I thought what you're experiences is the effects of placebo:

1) You stated that your testosterone levels decreased significantly. Finasteride (Propecia) is supposed to increase testosterone levels. In short, it inhibits an enzyme that converts testosterone to DHT - with reduced conversion, and increase in free testosterone usually accompanies continued finasteride use.

2) With that being said, you noticed a decrease in serum testosterone. It is known that stress and anxiety can reduce testosterone levels from baseline - stress and anxiety also decreases libido and sexual function. With that being said, it is more likely that the increase in testosterone levels after stopping finasteride was due to a reduction in stress and anxiety rather than discontinued use of the drug.

Regardless, try a lower dose... see how you feel. Just don't get over anxious!

Quote Originally Posted by Hector93 View Post
    Whenever I started I read a post online advising people to taper up their finasteride dosage if they were getting sides. It was something like first week = one dose, second week = two dose, third week = three dose, etc. until you get to your chosen fin regimen.

Obviously you can do it however you choose, but considering you seem to be sensitive to the drug (bear in mind could also be placebo induced by anxiety and preconceived idea of sides), I would do it gradually and aim to evenly space your dose as much as possible. Maybe aim to build up to 0.25mg every other day and see how you feel - can always increase it if sides aren't there.

I also think cutting the pill into quarters would be better for more accuracy and less variation in dosage.

I'm not qualified or anything just a 20 year old guy who has been taking fin for 8 months with very minimal sides, so be careful whatever you choose to do. Try not to worry too much as this could definitely induce placebo effects!
    +1

I understand what you are saying..but please explain why people born without 5AR2 the Testosterone to DHT enzyme have no penis. I legitimately experienced numb gentles. anyways i don't want to argue, i'll give the lower dose a go.

My advice would be give it another go, I started two years ago and I took it with a positive attitude that I was not going to get sides and all its given me is thicker hair, I know attitude isn't everything but I would say it defo helps