+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

No I didn't have a HT. Not really considering it right now. Maybe I will in the future. If I the big 3 can just continue to work and thicken up the hair I have now I will be satisfied, not happy, but satisfied. Maybe I will raise my standard as far as my hair goes. Have had crappy hair for so long I think I am just used to it.

You are still young, so there is hope that you can respond well to treatments if your hair hasn't been gone too long. Hopefully you will have continued success on treatments and you can recover most of your hair. Hang in there and don't quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    No I didn't have a HT. Not really considering it right now. Maybe I will in the future. If I the big 3 can just continue to work and thicken up the hair I have now I will be satisfied, not happy, but satisfied. Maybe I will raise my standard as far as my hair goes. Have had crappy hair for so long I think I am just used to it.

You are still young, so there is hope that you can respond well to treatments if your hair hasn't been gone too long. Hopefully you will have continued success on treatments and you can recover most of your hair. Hang in there and don't quit.
    If I've been thinning for say 4 years and am starting the Big 3 now, how much hair do you reckon might be possible to regrow?

Quote Originally Posted by Dav7 View Post
    If I've been thinning for say 4 years and am starting the Big 3 now, how much hair do you reckon might be possible to regrow?
    Maybe somebody will correct me if I am wrong, but I have heard you can recover hair that has been lost for about 3 years. I would imagine this can vary from person to person along with other factors. In my unprofessional opinion, I would say if you are a good responder to treatment, you should be able to recover a good amount of your hair.

Wow, this escalated quickly!

Something I meant to say in my original post... since getting depressed about my baldness, I found out I have a degenerative eye condition called keratoconus where my vision has been decreasing quite rapidly over the past 12 months. I've gone from needing glasses, to them becoming useless to custom made soft lenses and will soon probably need hard lenses to see properly. I may need an operation to stabilize my cornea in a few months time (there is no cure) it's had a massive effect on my driving, reading and even watching TV.

All this has completely put baldness to the back of my mind as I've started to see how much, in the big scheme of things, it really doesn't matter as much.

Don't get me wrong, I still get down about it, but I think this is why I've pretty much come to 'accept' it.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kayzee View Post
    Wow, this escalated quickly!

Something I meant to say in my original post... since getting depressed about my baldness, I found out I have a degenerative eye condition called keratoconus where my vision has been decreasing quite rapidly over the past 12 months. I've gone from needing glasses, to them becoming useless to custom made soft lenses and will soon probably need hard lenses to see properly. I may need an operation to stabilize my cornea in a few months time (there is no cure) it's had a massive effect on my driving, reading and even watching TV.

All this has completely put baldness to the back of my mind as I've started to see how much, in the big scheme of things, it really doesn't matter as much.

Don't get me wrong, I still get down about it, but I think this is why I've pretty much come to 'accept' it.
    There are several treatments available for keratoconus. A new treatment called Corneal crosslinking shows some promise. In 2008, University of Siena researchers in Italy reported positive outcomes in all 44 eyes that were followed for three years after treatment with epithelium-off CXL.

I'm sure you already know about all this. Not sure at this phase if insurance covers this treatment. Is there anyone else in your family with keratoconus? Research indicates that the cause is likely related to the cornea's susceptibility to free radicals. Not sure if a dietary supplement could help in any way at all. I wish you the best.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Damn kayzee,

Sorry to hear about your eye condition. Although this hair loss stuff has me frustrated, I try to keep everything in perspective, because as we can see things can get plenty worse.

Thank you.

35YrsAfter: I'm well aware of CXL, I've had my first CT scan, and will have another in 6 months time. If it has decreased enough, I'll be eligible for it... whether I can get it on the NHS or not is another matter. Some people have managed to, whereas others have had to pay up to £6,000 I don't know if anyone else in my family has had it. My grandma suffers from a very bad astigmatism, but I'm guessing if anyone more previous than that had it they wouldn't have even know what it was!

My whole face is screwed lol... that's the hair and eyes, then I also have a broken nose from getting attacked in 2009 which also knocked my tooth out and left me with a 'dead' one (it's almost black) and I get rashes all over my nose, cheeks, chin and neck unless I use steroid cream twice a day! Give me a break ffs oh and I have to get my ears syringed every 6 months or so. Anything else!? Don't think there's anything left now.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kayzee View Post
    then I also have a broken nose from getting attacked in 2009 which also knocked my tooth out and left me with a 'dead' one (it's almost black) and I get rashes all over my nose, cheeks, chin and neck unless I use steroid cream twice a day!
    I have had a few root canal surgeries. One crown lasted for over 20 years. The most recent root canal got reinfected and I had to take some moderately powerful antibiotics. Tooth pain can be excruciatingly painful. The pain shot up into my sinus area. The xray according to the doctor indicated a possible fracture in the tooth and they recommended I have the tooth pulled after the course of antibiotics. One thing I noticed for some time after taking the antibiotics is that my skin cleared up in the area of my nose and face. I decided to regularly use a strong antibiotic mouth wash and I now floss every night without fail. It's been 9 months and the tooth hasn't given me any trouble at all and my face no longer has areas of redness. I don't plan on having the tooth pulled. A bad tooth can poison the entire body and even cause heart disease. Something to think about.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck