+ Reply to Thread

Default Advice on UK transplants and systems urgently needed. Please help.

Hi everyone,

I'm a 24 year old man from Manchester who's life is quickly being destroyed by hairloss.

Looking at the scale, I'm probably a Norwood 2 - 2 and a half vertex with what I think is diffuse thinning
    It seems that my situation is worsening by the week, in that my frontal and crown area is becoming rapidly thinner.
    I've been for three consultations with local clinics, and am have been using the Hairmax Lasercomb and Regaine for approximately two months, but have only noticed more thinning.
    Now, just to clarify, I can't take Propecia. I'm fully aware that it's the most effective drug for hairloss, and that side-effects don't happen to everyone. However, I've experienced sexual side-effects from other medicines in the past, so under no circumstances can I risk them again.
    Naturally, I'm aware that this puts me at a disadvantage, but I'm desperate: my self-image has been shattered and my music career is currently stagnant - not to mention my love-life.
    One idea that I've had is a hairline transplant procedure, accompanied by a hair system from a well known UK company (I couldn't apply it myself, as the image of myself bald would stick with me forever).

Apologies for the length of this post.
    Any advice, suggestions, or guidance from people who've been/are in a similar situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Manc

Manc,

Having just read your post I will happily give you my opinion albeit im no expert with hair loss and unlike yourself I consider myself a good responder to propecia in as much as it has made my remaining hair thicker and I have not noticed any more loss and not sides at all. After that Im a NW5 but its not slick bald its mostly miniaturized hair allowing me to use concealer which takes me to a NW2 and has given me back a load of confidence as you pointed out both professionally and with the ladies of the parish

24 is very young for a transplant but I say that as a 26 year old who has just booked my first FUE in for April and lots of people in their twenties do have HT's because that's when you want your hair most and should be enjoying it.

You should use meds for at least six months and I imagine any HT doctor would advise you use them for some time to stabilize loss before they will operate if you are heading for a higher NW without the donor hair to replace it they may advise against it unless its stopped and you are willing to use meds long term.

I don't know much about natural hairloss remedies as iv never had to use them because of propecia ut this website will probably tell you all you need to know and whats available after that I imagine it will be trial and error

If you are thinking of a partial system then really you have to be happy that this will be a long term thing unless you have another transplant otherwise you will just have a hairline and nothing more you may be able to get away with it though if your front, back and sides are growing they will just be cut when the system gets replaced and to the untrained eye will probably go un-noticed that the back isn't growing especially if you do it once a month but a decent system and someone to fit it will cost a lot of money which will be an ongoing cost and you have to be able to live with the thoughts of what if it comes of slips abit or someone notices. Also as they need special shampoo and what ever I imagine if you are after a long term partner it may be easier just to tell them.

there are some good HT doctors I think in England especially in Manchester you have the farjo clinic. but other uk doctors you could have a consultation with I would say are Ziering UK and Dr Reddy at the private clinic. That being said other top class doctors all of whom come up on this site regularly hold uk or online consultations.

As I say there is probably peoplewith better knowledge than me but we all come here for help and I noticed no one had replied to you

I have had several consultations with UK and foreign doctors and I wont say the name before some one accuses me of being a salesman for them but I found the best one to be one of the UK's clinics that offered what I wanted so Im in the chair in april.

Good luck with t mate

First of minoxidil takes 6/7th months see results, your worse because your shedding from it that will come back. Again you need a DHT blocker and good shampoo like regenepure Dr and NT.

IMO if you can't tolerate fin you are not a candidate for a transplant (except in the rare case that you have 12,000+ grafts available for transplant). Also wearing a piece is a serious commitment and if you are thinking about going that route, I think you should give it a go before you get a transplant in order to make sure it is something you are willing to do long term. I would not just assume that you will be ok with getting a hairline transplant and wearing a piece, because you may realize you hate it. You don't want to paint yourself into a corner.

Joely, thanks for taking the time to write such an informative reply. I really appreciate it.

Jazz and Greatjob, I also thank you kindly for your input.

No worries, have you decided what to do yet?

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by greatjob! View Post
    IMO if you can't tolerate fin you are not a candidate for a transplant (except in the rare case that you have 12,000+ grafts available for transplant). Also wearing a piece is a serious commitment and if you are thinking about going that route, I think you should give it a go before you get a transplant in order to make sure it is something you are willing to do long term. I would not just assume that you will be ok with getting a hairline transplant and wearing a piece, because you may realize you hate it. You don't want to paint yourself into a corner.
    Couldn't agree more.

Everyone's different of course, but I'd much rather be bald than have everyone get used to seeing me in a hairpiece. To me even just a little bit of natural appearing growing hair on top is preferable to a full artificial look.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck