+ Reply to Thread

Default In hopes of some answers and advice

So I have been lurking the internet for some time now (4-5 years even..) in an attempt to find as much information on the how to fix my thinning hair. I think I have come to the point where no amount of googling will help me anymore and imagine it is probably best to try and talk to real people. However, I am not exactly ready to talk to a doctor about the problem as I am a bit skeptical and worry they might attempt to sale me on something that just doesn’t work.

Basically, I still have plenty of hair that I should be grateful for… it’s thinning all over the top and I do have a growing bald spot on the crown. However, if looking at my dad’s head is any indication of my future it seems like the problem might be very fixable with hair transplants. He is very thin on top with a bald spot but not entirely bald and plenty of hair on the sides… though it is very, very grey.

The problem I have is that there is so much information out there, good, bad and everything in between. I mean, I have read peoples complaints on how their heads are all scared up and they have nothing but “doll hairs” on top of their heads that are embarrassing and scars prevent them from shaving their heads. Real horror stories ya might say. Then there are those people that say things on how great their transplants went. So needless to say I am skeptical but hopeful.

Plus, no matter how much I search (and it could be because it’s a stupid question) I have not been able to answer the simple question of, “If I get this done would I actually be able to wear my hair long again (around shoulder length)?

Also, how would one go about finding a good surgeon that will treat me well and not rip me off? Is Bosley a good option for this or are there smarter options?

If you can’t tell I am a bit confused and concerned as well as suffering from a bit of information overload, so I do apologize... there is a lot to take in on this topic. So I would be grateful to anyone with some knowledge and experience that can help me find some light for this topic.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel View Post
    So I have been lurking the internet for some time now (4-5 years even..) in an attempt to find as much information on the how to fix my thinning hair. I think I have come to the point where no amount of googling will help me anymore and imagine it is probably best to try and talk to real people. However, I am not exactly ready to talk to a doctor about the problem as I am a bit skeptical and worry they might attempt to sale me on something that just doesn’t work.

Basically, I still have plenty of hair that I should be grateful for… it’s thinning all over the top and I do have a growing bald spot on the crown. However, if looking at my dad’s head is any indication of my future it seems like the problem might be very fixable with hair transplants. He is very thin on top with a bald spot but not entirely bald and plenty of hair on the sides… though it is very, very grey.

The problem I have is that there is so much information out there, good, bad and everything in between. I mean, I have read peoples complaints on how their heads are all scared up and they have nothing but “doll hairs” on top of their heads that are embarrassing and scars prevent them from shaving their heads. Real horror stories ya might say. Then there are those people that say things on how great their transplants went. So needless to say I am skeptical but hopeful.

Plus, no matter how much I search (and it could be because it’s a stupid question) I have not been able to answer the simple question of, “If I get this done would I actually be able to wear my hair long again (around shoulder length)?

Also, how would one go about finding a good surgeon that will treat me well and not rip me off? Is Bosley a good option for this or are there smarter options?

If you can’t tell I am a bit confused and concerned as well as suffering from a bit of information overload, so I do apologize... there is a lot to take in on this topic. So I would be grateful to anyone with some knowledge and experience that can help me find some light for this topic.
    Transplanted hair grows just like your native healthy hair on the back and sides of your head. You can grow it to any length you desire depending on how long your hair grows which varies from person to person. Unnatural results are a nightmare. They are less common today but working at Dr. Cole's office, I still see some bad work come through for repair from other doctors. Bosley has some decent doctors and some that haven't mastered the art of creating a natural result. It's a crap shoot there. Transplants do work very well, just make sure the doctor you select knows what he's doing.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    Transplanted hair grows just like your native healthy hair on the back and sides of your head. You can grow it to any length you desire depending on how long your hair grows which varies from person to person. Unnatural results are a nightmare. They are less common today but working at Dr. Cole's office, I still see some bad work come through for repair from other doctors. Bosley has some decent doctors and some that haven't mastered the art of creating a natural result. It's a crap shoot there. Transplants do work very well, just make sure the doctor you select knows what he's doing.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck
    I want to thank you abundantly for your reply.
    I have actually been looking at the website in your post there. Dr Cole is only a state away and by the looks of the site he looks like a good choice, but of course I've just began my search and refuse to make instant rash decisions.

I do wonder how his prices compare to others though. I know I don't want to go with a doctor for price, but at the same time I don't want to pay twice the amount for something equivalent to one half the price. So much information.