+ Reply to Thread

Question Percentage of men reach NW5 / NW6 as final stage of MPB

Just curious if anybody knows this themselves, or could provide links explaining this, (a) what percentage of male with MPB stop at Norwood level 5-5v, and (b) what percentage of males with MPB stop at Norwood level 6 down the line? I believe that something like 7% of males with MPB go the final stage Norwood 7, not sure if this is accurate and I would like to be corrected on this if I am wrong - but I have never heard of percentages regarding how many males pan out at a Norwood 5 or a Norwood 6.

I realise that in men aged 50+, that Norwood 6 would be a lot more common than Norwood 7, but how common in terms of percentages? Would it be safe to say that most males with MPB pan out at NW5-5v and if so, what percentage pan out at this or even lower at NW4-4v? It would be interesting to know how common Norwood 6's actually are when it comes to MPB.

Actually, I've found a blog article claiming that only 7-8% of men reach Norwood level 6 or 7.

http://www.baldingblog.com/2012/07/1...-pattern-rare/

think the answer to your question is all around you — they’re shopping at the mall, walking out on the street, sitting at a restaurant… or as you note, take a look at your family! Many men are Norwood class 3 and that is their final hair loss pattern. These men make great hair transplant candidates. Of note, only about 7 to 8% of men in the world are Norwood 6 or 7.
    I would have thought that this was a lot more common than 7-8%? However, what percentage of men with MPB reach this level, given that the 7-8% may not be too accurate as only half or less of men suffer from MPB. It would be somewhat re-assuring if it pans out at NW5 for most men as this seems to be the last stage with our current treatments and average HT donor availability where something can be done to provide somewhat of a decent look regarding coverage, availability of grafts etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dav7 View Post
    Actually, I've found a blog article claiming that only 7-8% of men reach Norwood level 6 or 7.

http://www.baldingblog.com/2012/07/1...-pattern-rare/

I would have thought that this was a lot more common than 7-8%? However, what percentage of men with MPB reach this level, given that the 7-8% may not be too accurate as only half or less of men suffer from MPB. It would be somewhat re-assuring if it pans out at NW5 for most men as this seems to be the last stage with our current treatments and average HT donor availability where something can be done to provide somewhat of a decent look regarding coverage, availability of grafts etc.
    Biology teacher said final pattern for the male population is a bell shaped curve. Only a very few go totally bald and on the other side, only a few lose just a small amount of hair or none at all. Rest fall somewhere in between.
    My family reaches 6 then it slows or stops.