+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Non-Big3, non BS treatments

I'm just wondering if anybody could recommend some treatments outside of the Big 3 that have been proven to help with hair loss, whether it be topicals, oral supplements, vitamins etc? I am looking about the internet but unfortunately there seems to be a lot of BS and fishy looking products out there, particularly the "all natural solutions" ones and I'm left feeling a bit confused as to what products might work well alongside the Big 3.

Supplements to improve the quality and growth of the hair you have... try taking a 'hair, skin, nails' supplement with biotin and silica. Also, multivitamin if your diet isn't fantastic. And also a tea-spoon of organic sulfur (also called MSM) per day is meant to be good. Before taking any supplements, google them for "hair loss" and "hair regrowth" and "testosterone", just to see whether there is any info on the effects on hair and possible stronger effects on the endocrine system. I have taken heaps of supplements this year, so it's hard for me to say what might have worked or not. But I definitely noticed my hair growing faster since starting the 'hair, skin, nails' supplement with biotin. I put my mother onto the 'hair, skin, nails' supplement and she commented that her hair has grown faster and is thickening up. None of these would be significant hair treatments for MPB but I see no harm in taking care of the hair follicles we have left.

Quote Originally Posted by Dav7 View Post
    I'm just wondering if anybody could recommend some treatments outside of the Big 3 that have been proven to help with hair loss, whether it be topicals, oral supplements, vitamins etc? I am looking about the internet but unfortunately there seems to be a lot of BS and fishy looking products out there, particularly the "all natural solutions" ones and I'm left feeling a bit confused as to what products might work well alongside the Big 3.
    RU and topical spiro seem to really work. I also believe PRP and LLLT work for maintenance, though I'm sure ill be crucified for saying so.

There are none.

And think about it, MPB has been around for how many centuries? Like since forever? And you think if there's anything out there other than fin, minoxidil, hair transplant, wouldn't we know about it in 2014? Wouldn't some one know about it and share it?

Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
    There are none.

And think about it, MPB has been around for how many centuries? Like since forever? And you think if there's anything out there other than fin, minoxidil, hair transplant, wouldn't we know about it in 2014? Wouldn't some one know about it and share it?
    There are lots of known treatments that haven't gone through FDA trials. Dutasteride, for example, is much more effective than finasteride but has not been approved for hair loss. Whether there are other safe, side effect free, and effective treatments is a different question.

Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
    There are none.

That is a fair point.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan555 View Post
    There are lots of known treatments that haven't gone through FDA trials. Dutasteride, for example, is much more effective than finasteride but has not been approved for hair loss. Whether there are other safe, side effect free, and effective treatments is a different question.
    But isn't Dut a little risky to be getting into at the moment for MPB/ hair loss? Don't get me wrong, if or when Dut becomes approved for balding/ baldness, then I will be on it within a day or two, or will happily throw my Fin tablets in the bin. However, isn't it still early days regarding Dut and MPB given that (a) it is still not approved for hair loss, (b) doctor's will not prescribe it to you, at least 99% won't to combat MPB so that you left at the mercy of online pharmacies which could be selling you sugar and (c) the lack of a biological model in comparison to fin, particulary when it comes to the long term effects of that much 5AR-type 1 suppression, of which we have no records of the side effects?

Again dut is obviously the better treatment, but is it worth jumping ship at the present time given the drug's standing in relation to Hair loss treatment approval, 5AR-type 1 suppression etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dav7 View Post
    But isn't Dut a little risky to be getting into at the moment for MPB/ hair loss? Don't get me wrong, if or when Dut becomes approved for balding/ baldness, then I will be on it within a day or two, or will happily throw my Fin tablets in the bin. However, isn't it still early days regarding Dut and MPB given that (a) it is still not approved for hair loss, (b) doctor's will not prescribe it to you, at least 99% won't to combat MPB so that you left at the mercy of online pharmacies which could be selling you sugar and (c) the lack of a biological model in comparison to fin, particulary when it comes to the long term effects of that much 5AR-type 1 suppression, of which we have no records of the side effects?

Again dut is obviously the better treatment, but is it worth jumping ship at the present time given the drug's standing in relation to Hair loss treatment approval, 5AR-type 1 suppression etc.
    I was just making the point that just because a treatment has not been approved by the FDA for hair loss does not mean it doesn't work. Truth be told, Nizoral doesn't do anything for hair loss and minox has a minimal effect. There are numerous experimental treatments that are WAY more effective than those two, including some more natural options that have decent studies backing their efficacy. The problem is, no one on this forum or anywhere else tries them and sticks to a regimen long enough to determine how well they work. Once they fail to see results after a few weeks, they call a treatment a "scam" and no one ever considers it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tortoise View Post
    Supplements to improve the quality and growth of the hair you have... try taking a 'hair, skin, nails' supplement with biotin and silica. Also, multivitamin if your diet isn't fantastic. And also a tea-spoon of organic sulfur (also called MSM) per day is meant to be good. Before taking any supplements, google them for "hair loss" and "hair regrowth" and "testosterone", just to see whether there is any info on the effects on hair and possible stronger effects on the endocrine system. I have taken heaps of supplements this year, so it's hard for me to say what might have worked or not. But I definitely noticed my hair growing faster since starting the 'hair, skin, nails' supplement with biotin. I put my mother onto the 'hair, skin, nails' supplement and she commented that her hair has grown faster and is thickening up. None of these would be significant hair treatments for MPB but I see no harm in taking care of the hair follicles we have left.
    Would be worth having a look into definetly, nothing to lose by trying I guess. As for MSM/ Organic sulpher, do you use a topical or the tablets? Also which of these would you recommend and/ or use.

http://products.mercola.com/msm-sulfur-supplement/

The first one, or the Joint Pack formula? Also does this stuff need a prescription and where do you get it? Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ryan555 View Post
    I was just making the point that just because a treatment has not been approved by the FDA for hair loss does not mean it doesn't work. Truth be told, Nizoral doesn't do anything for hair loss and minox has a minimal effect. There are numerous experimental treatments that are WAY more effective than those two, including some more natural options that have decent studies backing their efficacy. The problem is, no one on this forum or anywhere else tries them and sticks to a regimen long enough to determine how well they work. Once they fail to see results after a few weeks, they call a treatment a "scam" and no one ever considers it again.
    Again, it's worth looking into and to give a shot to see how things pan out. What non-Big3 supplements/ topics do you use?