+ Reply to Thread

Question Area needed to cover in cm2 for Norwood scale

I'm just wondering if anybody knows of a rough estimate as to how much space needs to be covered in a HT per each stage of the Norwood scale, e.g. let's just say, NW2= 50cm2, NW6= 200cm2 or something like that? Obviously that is incorrect, and obviously each person has different scalp measurements, however what would be the (on average) amount of area needed to be covered for each stage of the Norwood scale? I ask because I want to estimate how many grafts cover an area and at which density overall.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dav7 View Post
    I'm just wondering if anybody knows of a rough estimate as to how much space needs to be covered in a HT per each stage of the Norwood scale, e.g. let's just say, NW2= 50cm2, NW6= 200cm2 or something like that? Obviously that is incorrect, and obviously each person has different scalp measurements, however what would be the (on average) amount of area needed to be covered for each stage of the Norwood scale? I ask because I want to estimate how many grafts cover an area and at which density overall.
    Illusion of coverage is pretty much the rule with the possible exception of men who will only experience frontal hair loss. Have you had your donor area evaluated? HairCheck and Hairmes are two valuable tools we use to estimate graft numbers and the probable outcome of hair transplants. Age and your family history of hair loss must be figured into the equation. We charge by the follicular unit which can contain from one to six hairs. Five and six hair grafts are rare. The average is around 2.6 hairs per follicular unit. To get a rough idea of coverage, something you could do yourself, is let your hair grow a few inches longer than normal and cut the extra hair length from the back and sides. Count out a number of hairs in your budget and carefully lay the hairs over your bald or thinning area. I did that when I was considering 700 grafts. I realized that 700 grafts would produce an insignificant and disappointing result in my case.

Also be aware that some clinics split follicular units and charge by the hair. Before committing to a clinic for hair restoration, you should check their policy regarding this.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant