+ Reply to Thread

Default What kind of hair loss is this?

After looking at the classifications (I -VI), its not clear to me which pattern I have. I'd really appreciate any help. Oh, I'm 25.

I think Norwood Class 6

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

It seems like no patient fits perfectly into one of the Norwood classifications.
    You could have 10 evaluations from reputable doctors and get several different
    opinions on which classification you are in. It appears from the photos that you are somewhere in the V-VI category. Are you using any preventative measures such as Propecia, Rogaine, or lasers? With as much hair loss as you have at age 25 you obviously have some strong genetics for Male Pattern Baldness.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Glenn Charles View Post
    It seems like no patient fits perfectly into one of the Norwood classifications.
    You could have 10 evaluations from reputable doctors and get several different
    opinions on which classification you are in. It appears from the photos that you are somewhere in the V-VI category. Are you using any preventative measures such as Propecia, Rogaine, or lasers? With as much hair loss as you have at age 25 you obviously have some strong genetics for Male Pattern Baldness.
    No, I never bothered. It started when I was 19. I figured anything this aggressive wouldn't get beat down by a pill or topical ointment. Lasers are a new one. What's the supposed benefit? Obviously hair growth, but how does that work?

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

The laser does show positive results for some patients. The benefits are more related to quality of hair than quantity. It may help slow down the hair loss process by increasing blood circulation. This would be similar to Rogaine. It could possibly stimulate sleeping or dormant hair follicles to generate a new hair, and may give weak, lifeless hairs more more body. It will not take dead hair follicles and bring them back to life. I think of the laser as another tool that may help some patients and may not do much for others. It has never caused any harm to my patients over the past 5 years.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile