+ Reply to Thread

Default Bad Shed Switching to Every Other Day Finasteride Dosage

Hi everybody. Early this September I started a new relationship and found I was having difficulty maintaining an erection. I stopped taking Finasteride and a week later I was back to normal. As soon as I was back to normal I started taking Finasteride every other day because I read that it takes a long time for DHT levels to become high enough to cause hair loss. The online consensus seems to be that taking it every other day should be almost as effective and be advantageous for those experiencing side effects. I have been doing the every other day dosage since (almost 4 months at this point). The side effect was gone and I didn't see a change in my hair loss until now. For the past 2 weeks I have been experiencing a major shed. Has anyone out there switched to every other day and experienced this? If so, did the shed eventually stop? Me and the girlfriend split up in mid October for unrelated reasons, so if I do change my dosage it may be difficult for me to know if I am experiencing the side effect again. But the way I see it here are my options:

1. Continue taking it every other day in hopes that either the shed will stop or that this dosage will at least slow the hair loss more than not taking the medication at all while causing no side effects.

2. Switch to 1 mg Propecia every day instead of the 1.25 generic I am doing now. This would be 20% less of the medication than I was taking previously, so maybe this would be enough to provide me with the old results while hopefully not causing the side effect. My choice to buy the generic was not because I cannot afford the real stuff, the savings were just too good to ignore.

3. I was thinking about perhaps adding more days that I take it while still leaving some off. For example take the medication 2 days in a row, then take a day off, repeat.

4. Take the medication every day again knowing full well that the side effect will come back. In this scenario I would explain the situation to the next girl that comes along and begin experimenting with the dosage then.

Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated.

You probably going through seasonal winter she'd think most people are, I tasks it every other day still effective.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

You may want to consider taking 1/2 of a generic 1mg tablet daily. With every other day dosing of Finasteride it is difficult to maintain a steady level of the medication in your blood stream because it has a very short half life.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Thank you both for your responses.