+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Smile Procedure healing time can vary

Another point that I wanted to make is that each procedure is different in its healing time and results.

For example, the first time I got ~2300 grafts the closure in the donor area took about 6 weeks heal to the touch. Of course, it takes longer for it to totally heal to the naked eye. My second procedure only took about 3 weeks for the donor area to heal to the touch and we got ~2475 grafts.

My main point is to show that the bigger sessions do not necessarily take longer to heal. Another reason, FOR ME, why a larger session can be better. I like sessions that are around 2200-2500 grafts.

(The one downside of a bigger session, FOR ME, is that your neck has to be relativley still while the techs place the grafts. The more grafts, the more stiff your neck can become.)

Good point, Joe. I remember in my first transplant of 800 grafts, I had soreness for well over 1 week, and needed pain medication for the first 2 or 3 nites. I also remember a large section of the back of my scalp (where the strip was removed) was numb for several weeks.

In my second transplant with Doc McAndrews, I had 1600 grafts, and had substantially less pain. I didn't need any pain medication - not even the first nite. I slept comfortably, too. I had very minor numbness, all of which is gone now, except at the very, very local level when I touch my scalp near the are where the strip was excised. I was back at work about 9 days after the procedure, and, as far as I could tell, no one suspected a thing.

Good points Joe.
    After my HT with Ron Shapiro i healed very quickly,with my hair kept long to cover the donor strip area i could have returned to work a couple of days after the procedure.
    When i got my sutures out at day 10 no one would ever know i had any work done as my crown was concealed with Nanogen fibres.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
    Good points Joe.
    After my HT with Ron Shapiro i healed very quickly,with my hair kept long to cover the donor strip area i could have returned to work a couple of days after the procedure.
    When i got my sutures out at day 10 no one would ever know i had any work done as my crown was concealed with Nanogen fibres.

Hey bigmac!

What are "nanogen fibers"?

Thanks!

Hi Red

They are fibres which stick to your hair and give it a thicher/fuller appearance.

You need hair for it to be effective.

Looking at your pictures i feel Dermatch would be your best option as it tends to camouflage the scalp more.

Here is a link to some pictures of myself using Nanogen.

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthr...+fibres&page=2

Hope that helps

bm.

Thanks to the two-timers for the comparative stories. I had my HT done two and a half weeks ago (~3200 grafts), and despite being prepared for the worst, I slept fine the very first night, and after being religious about applying the antibiotic gel to my donor scar I've noticed it shrink considerably and is already looking more like a white line. However, I won't get my hopes too far up for an easy repeat if/when I get a second HT done!

Hey Big Mac, when you talk about nanogen fibers, are you referring explicitly to Toppik, or is there an even better version out there I don't know about? (I've been using Toppik for over 3 years now).

Best,
    Michael