+ Reply to Thread

Question Is Proscar as effective as Propecia

Just wondering if 5mg Proscar quarters on prescription from a pharmacy would be as effective as 1mg Propecia? I know both contain finasteride, but I'm not quiet sure if Proscar would be as effective as Propecia. Reason I'm interested in switching to Proscar is because of price, however if it isn't actually as effective as Propecia, then I'm willing to stick with Propecia.

Also, would anybody know what percentage of DHT does Proscar block, and is it more or less than Propecia?

It's the same exact drug, both sold in generic forms of finasteride pills 1mg vs 5mg. You just split the 5mg into quarters to get 1.25mg dosages.

The only issue is whether or not the 5mg of fin is homogeneously distributed in the 5mg tablet, and logically speaking it must be.

Quote Originally Posted by redy View Post
    It's the same exact drug, both sold in generic forms of finasteride pills 1mg vs 5mg. You just split the 5mg into quarters to get 1.25mg dosages.

The only issue is whether or not the 5mg of fin is homogeneously distributed in the 5mg tablet, and logically speaking it must be.
    I see, is it possible to take 5mg of Proscar daily, or is that dangerous/ overkill?

Quote Originally Posted by Dav7 View Post
    I see, is it possible to take 5mg of Proscar daily, or is that dangerous/ overkill?
    Basically anything over the 1.25mg is overkill, in the sense that the marginal effectiveness no longer outweighs the marginal risk for side effects in a line graph. However, everyone is different. Some people report success using like .2mg a day, and some people say they didn't get results until taking more than 1.25mg.

It's not an exact science at this point for any of these medications.

Quote Originally Posted by redy View Post
    Basically anything over the 1.25mg is overkill, in the sense that the marginal effectiveness no longer outweighs the marginal risk for side effects in a line graph. However, everyone is different. Some people report success using like .2mg a day, and some people say they didn't get results until taking more than 1.25mg.

It's not an exact science at this point for any of these medications.
    But can't you just take the 5mg Proscar tablets daily to guarantee you are getting the whole thing, without any adverse side affects? I ask because I am nearly out of Propecia, and may not have enough money for it this time around - and instead will have to settle for Proscar.

Also does anybody know if there any side-effects from switching from Propecia to Proscar such as shedding etc, or does it make no difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Dav7 View Post
    But can't you just take the 5mg Proscar tablets daily to guarantee you are getting the whole thing, without any adverse side affects? I ask because I am nearly out of Propecia, and may not have enough money for it this time around - and instead will have to settle for Proscar.

Also does anybody know if there any side-effects from switching from Propecia to Proscar such as shedding etc, or does it make no difference?
    I switched and it made no difference. Like I said, it's the same drug...

If you take the 5mg tablets each day, which is not recommended at all - you're taking 5x the dosage recommended.