+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Can I just have a Normal head of hair?

This is the first post I've ever done, anywhere.

This subject is hard because who likes to talk about going bald.

Every time the subject comes up I just get annoyed! I am forty years old and my hair is receding quickly.

I tried finesteride and although it kept the hair from falling out it had a side effect that no man ever wants to have. I know it says it only happens to a small percentage of males, but if you fall in that category you figure out which one is more important.

Rogaine created itchiness and a rash and I stopped using it.

Now I am back to watching my hair thin in the mirror and I can't stand it!

I've been reading this forum for a couple of months and now I'm really considering a transplant. I really want to do it, but I don't want anyone to know, is that possible? Right now I am pulling my hair forward and covering my scalp and some people don't notice I'm going bald (although I don't know how.) So my optimistic hope is that I can have surgery, spend two weeks in hiding and recover, and then continue with the combover until it thickens up... if that's possible.

The questions I have pertain to hiding the process from the public. I own a business with employees, I spend time at my kids school, and I have a large group of friends and family that I spend time with. I'd rather not go through this process in public, is it possible?

Do you have to shave your head for the procedure? Can the regrowth process be hidden?

Would appreciate any and all feedback as this is a subject that has created lots of internal strife and my window for potentially addressing it privately is quickly closing.

Quote Originally Posted by skeptic1 View Post

Right now I am pulling my hair forward and covering my scalp and some people don't notice I'm going bald (although I don't know how.)

They do .
    You aren't fooling anyone

First off, whatever you do, make sure you go to a great surgeon. Don't go to the cheapest or the most convenient and definitely avoid any clinic with an infomercial. Also, make sure they give you a realistic estimate of how extensive your hair loss is likely to be, based on microphotography and your family history. Since you aren't taking anything to stabilize your hair loss, this could end up making things worse if not planned properly.

Regarding your question, it's probably not realistic to completely hide a hair transplant unless you have very minimal hair loss. Your scalp will be a bit red for a while (at least a few weeks), plus you may have to cut your hair very short depending on the surgeon and the method used. Your goal should be long term results over short term discretion.

The best solution to hair loss when you can't use treatments is to accept it, cut your hair short, and move on. If that is not possible (it's not for me either), then just educate yourself thoroughly before you proceed.

I stopped reading at "I am forty years old".

Hoped you enjoyed your entire youth with a full head of hair.

Quote Originally Posted by fred970 View Post
    I stopped reading at "I am forty years old".

Hoped you enjoyed your entire youth with a full head of hair.
    Maybe he's been losing it since he was 20. You're bitter little prick.

He's talking about "receding".

If he was losing it since he was 20, he would at least be NW5 by now, and not whining about "receding".

Some people need perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by fred970 View Post
    He's talking about "receding".

If he was losing it since he was 20, he would at least be NW5 by now, and not whining about "receding".

Some people need perspective.
    I shouldn't have called you names, so sorry for that.

This affects people differently. I know guys who were slick bald by 25 who seriously didn't give a shit, and I know guys who had some thinning/receding in their 30's who were greatly impacted by it. Everyone, regardless of their age or the Norwood pattern, has a right to discuss and address their hair loss if it bothers them. There is no need to disregard someone because you think you are worse off.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan555 View Post
    I shouldn't have called you names, so sorry for that.

This affects people differently. I know guys who were slick bald by 25 who seriously didn't give a shit, and I know guys who had some thinning/receding in their 30's who were greatly impacted by it. Everyone, regardless of their age or the Norwood pattern, has a right to discuss and address their hair loss if it bothers them. There is no need to disregard someone because you think you are worse off.
    Agreed. And there's nothing to be gained by deterring people from treating or addressing their hair loss. No one should be berated for trying to better themselves--at any age.

Plus, his wasn't exactly a "woe is me post." He said that he's receded and asked for advice about combating it. What, is he supposed to sit idly by rather than ruffle the delicate feathers of someone who might be thinning at a younger age? That's petty.

Quote Originally Posted by skeptic1 View Post
    This is the first post I've ever done, anywhere.

This subject is hard because who likes to talk about going bald.

Every time the subject comes up I just get annoyed! I am forty years old and my hair is receding quickly.

I tried finesteride and although it kept the hair from falling out it had a side effect that no man ever wants to have. I know it says it only happens to a small percentage of males, but if you fall in that category you figure out which one is more important.

Rogaine created itchiness and a rash and I stopped using it.

Now I am back to watching my hair thin in the mirror and I can't stand it!

I've been reading this forum for a couple of months and now I'm really considering a transplant. I really want to do it, but I don't want anyone to know, is that possible? Right now I am pulling my hair forward and covering my scalp and some people don't notice I'm going bald (although I don't know how.) So my optimistic hope is that I can have surgery, spend two weeks in hiding and recover, and then continue with the combover until it thickens up... if that's possible.

The questions I have pertain to hiding the process from the public. I own a business with employees, I spend time at my kids school, and I have a large group of friends and family that I spend time with. I'd rather not go through this process in public, is it possible?

Do you have to shave your head for the procedure? Can the regrowth process be hidden?

Would appreciate any and all feedback as this is a subject that has created lots of internal strife and my window for potentially addressing it privately is quickly closing.

I agree with the advice that you've gotten above, but wanted to reinforce how important research is re: surgery. There are a lot of docs out there; some are great, the vast majority are not, and not all of the great docs are a great fit for every procedure. Many have a particular specialty: Hasson & Wong, for instance, are unquestionably the kings of large transplants for guys with high amount of loss, while Dr. Rahal is absolutely one of the preeminent surgeons for guys who have lower Norwoods (2-3) and require a smaller procedure and more artistry in the hairline. (Also, if you don't know what the Norwood system is, let Google be your friend.)

If there's a decent transplant surgeon in your area, I would do an initial consultation and ask them to assess your loss. They'll be able to examine your scalp and give you a better idea of what you're looking at by locating miniaturizing hair (hair diameter shrinks as a follicle stops producing hair, so it forecasts loss). You can be upfront and say you're not ready to pull the trigger on surgery at this point, but you just want to be armed with information. Most surgeons are awesome about sharing their knowledge and are happy to chat even if surgery is a year or more down the line. (Go to the IAHRS website to find a good surgeon near year. Note that the IAHRS and the ISHRS are *different.* The IAHRS is a consumer advocacy group that vets and approves hair surgeons. It's a very rigorous process, and the general rule of thumb is not to use a surgeon that hasn't been recommended by them.)

I'd wait at least a year to do anything, and spend that time on these forums educating yourself. There's a lot to learn, so resist the temptation to pull the trigger immediately.

I was slick at 23 years old, how do you think I reacted?

I think my reaction is normal and healthy: being NW5 by the age of 23 is light-years away from what seems to be a minor recession (since he can still hide it) at 40.

You shouldn't have a HT with a receding hairline and no meds at all. Because you will continue to recede, possibly very badly.