+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 21 freaking out- nw3??

Hi guys. I'm attaching a few photos through my phone and then I'll add further explanation below. Thanks for your help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20131225_225515.jpg

Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	24502   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131225_225931.jpg

Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	24503   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131225_225936.jpg

Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	24504   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131225_225917.jpg

Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	24505   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131225_230313.jpg

Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	24506   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131225_225903.jpg

Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	24507   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131225_225453.jpg

Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	24508   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131225_225506.jpg

Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	24509   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131225_225947.jpg

Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	24510   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131225_121816.jpg

Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	24511  

Please bear in mind, I brushed my hair back for these pictures...the hairline does actually sit like this normally; it is exaggerated using a hairbrush, but when wet I know it's not a pretty sight...perhaps it's the angle of the camera! :P

I think I'm approaching a Norwood 3/4. I've always had a very high forehead. I showed these pictures to my parents who insisted, even after seeing the pic of my hairline when wet, that it's always looked this way since I was very young. They claim I've always had that concave indentation on the right side of the hairline, but I'm of the opinion the erosion of the temples is far more problematic. As a sufferer of Body Dysmorphic Disorder and Major Depression, this has bothered me for a long time, and doctors, psychiatrists, and family members have insisted there's nothing happening to my hair. The problem is I can't help but think they're just being nice. Here I know I count on something of a more objective opinion or assessment of the situation. I've looked at the Norwood-Hamilton chart and this seems far worse than a mature hairline to be honest.

In terms of family history, only my maternal grandfather balded, and this happened when he was 20 (I'm 21). My father has retained a full head of hair, though it has moved back a bit and thinned a little.

I ordered finasteride from an online pharmacy and used it twice in short-lived periods (once for a couple of months in Feb, and for a couple of weeks two months ago). Apart from Nizoral, I don't take any further action to combat the hairloss. I'm not experiencing shedding, but I do think there's substantial miniaturisation going on.

Apologies for how unflattering the pictures are...I'm sort of desperate. I know it's Christmas Day, but this is a means of venting. Thank you so much for any evaluation and Merry Christmas.

PS My vertex area is totally thick, and for the most part, my hair isn't thinning...just the nasty, ugly frontal loss.

I really don't even know what to say........

You have soooooo much hair.

Please look at the norwood scaling system again. Because I can only presume your copy must be wrong.

Thats all I can say.

Quote Originally Posted by medion1 View Post
    I really don't even know what to say........

You have soooooo much hair.

Please look at the norwood scaling system again. Because I can only presume your copy must be wrong.

Thats all I can say.
    Really?:S:S

you're max a norwood 2, if you want to be super harsh, and barely.

but your hair is so thick, nobody in the right state of mind would think you're past a mature hairline of NW1

But isn't NW2 the mature hairline. So I'm beyond the mature hairline?

Definitely not a NW 3/4, NW 2 at worst. If your not committed to taking and staying on fin until you are sure you are losing your hair, then the only thing you can do is monitor it. Take good pics and compare to pics a few months from now. It makes it easier if you have the same hair style and angle when taking pics.

Your hair looks good now and you are in the right place to get answers. My hair looked just like yours when I first noticed I was losing it. Just keep an eye on it and do what you need to do if you are starting to lose it.

BDD/ large forehead/ hairloss is literally the worst combo to have, we are in very similar situations bro. Luckily for you, your hairloss is minimal. Like Notcoolanymore said, best thing to do is to monitor and see how it goes if you are unsure about treating.

On top of that make sure you are getting proper nutrition, enough sunlight and drink enough water etc. Try and get a blood test and get to a good derm if you haven't already to check for underlying hormone/ scalp problems.

Also have a look around - when I first started losing my hair I was convinced that NONE of my friends were having the same problems as me and I had a really critical view of my own hair. In actual fact a lot of people in their early 20s develop hairlines similar to yours that remain relatively intact as they get older, try not to worry about it as it definitely doesn't help. A shorter haircut at the sides makes the top look thicker and overall a lot better, i'm talking number 1-2 razor.

When my crown started to thin as well I got on generic fin 1.25mg eod - my hairline has got dramatically worse since starting but I have minimal sides and I'm only 7 months in so trying to stay positive. The one thing I can say about starting fin is that it is reassuring to know that you are taking a major step to tackle hairloss, and no matter what the outcome at least you won't look back and think "what if i started earlier?". Can I ask why you stopped taking it?

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    Definitely not a NW 3/4, NW 2 at worst. If your not committed to taking and staying on fin until you are sure you are losing your hair, then the only thing you can do is monitor it. Take good pics and compare to pics a few months from now. It makes it easier if you have the same hair style and angle when taking pics.

Your hair looks good now and you are in the right place to get answers. My hair looked just like yours when I first noticed I was losing it. Just keep an eye on it and do what you need to do if you are starting to lose it.
    How bad is NW 2 in the scheme of things? I was under the impression it could be reflective of no substantial hair loss, simply maturation of the hairline? NW 1 is supposed to be a hairline with no loss at all or the juvenile hairline, right? Do I fit somewhere in between, or is the loss very visible? I'm so confused!

(Thanks for your help btw)