Why do I keep seeing old people with perfect hair?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mpb47
    • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Notcoolanymore
    I hope this friend of yours is a slick NW6 right now.
    Well she is a girl so she still has all her hair. She just wanted me to admit that I had mpb but I really wasn't so sure at the time. Because I had only lost a small amount of hair in my teens and it had stopped for a long time.

And to be fair..I gave her a hard time about her "problem" about being so top heavy. She was self conscious about getting so big up front.

Comment

• akai
      • Dec 2012

Twenty-five years old seems to be the age where a good percent of males start showing signs of mpb. From what I've seen in real life and via social media about a third of the people in my age group have some level of thinning, from barely noticeable to almost slick bald.

Originally posted by NotBelievingIt
      Until I noticed my own balding, I simply never gave it a second thought on other people.

Nor did I try to spot obvious comb forwards/overs and pieces.

Now I can't help myself. I don't obsess over it, but I certainly pay more attention to it.
      This. Never gave it a second thought.

Comment

• 35YrsAfter
        Doctor Representative
        • Aug 2012

Originally posted by akai
        From what I've seen in real life and via social media about a third of the people in my age group have some level of thinning, from barely noticeable to almost slick bald.
        This. Never gave it a second thought.
        I remember in my early twenties seeing a tall thin guy who was either in his late twenties or early thirties who had very white skin. He was slick bald on top. To make matters worse, his head had a a point and a sheen. At that time shaving was not an accepted style and this man grew his black hair on the sides to a medium length. In my early twenties, I knew I was destined for some advanced hair loss and seeing this guy gave me a sense of dread regarding what might be in store for me down the road. Now as I'm older, some hair loss feels normal yet I still don't care for the slick bald look, unless the head is the right shape and shaved all the way down.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
        forhair.com
        Cole Hair Transplant
        1070 Powers Place
        Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
        Phone 678-566-1011
        email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
        The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
        Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Comment

• win200
          • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Dan26
          ^^ Yes its true vast majority of guys over 30 can no longer pull off the same hairstyles as younger men with perfect hair due to this, even though they have no visible hairiloss to an untrained eye.
          This. I've always thought the 30% before 30 thing was bullshit. Sure, maybe only 30% have SIGNIFICANT hair loss, but I'm 31 now and at least half of my friends have at least SOME hair loss--the temples are pushing up a little bit, etc. etc. But this is stuff that no one but the most seasoned NW spotters would ever count as "balding."

Take, for example, this picture of a friend. He's 24. Good head of hair. BUT that's not a straight hairline. He has no idea he has some early recession, and I may be literally the only person who's ever notice it, but it's there. That's not a teenager's hairline.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Morbo
            • Jan 2012

I find these stats and percentages about hairloss often greatly exaggerated.

With 'hairloss' magazines usually refer to 'some' hairloss/thinning or 'some' recession. Yet the amount of men (and women) actually experiencing 'baldness' is 5 to 10 times smaller. I know guys who had recession in their 20's or 30's, yet decennia later their hair remains unchanged (I doubt they're all on drugs) or the loss is so slow it only becomes a problem in their 50's.
            Or it's like those articles claiming 30 to 50 % of the women experience hairloss, yet 99 % of them will never have anything near a bald spot.

Comment

• greatjob!
              • Aug 2011

Originally posted by win200
              This. I've always thought the 30% before 30 thing was bullshit. Sure, maybe only 30% have SIGNIFICANT hair loss, but I'm 31 now and at least half of my friends have at least SOME hair loss--the temples are pushing up a little bit, etc. etc. But this is stuff that no one but the most seasoned NW spotters would ever count as "balding."

Take, for example, this picture of a friend. He's 24. Good head of hair. BUT that's not a straight hairline. He has no idea he has some early recession, and I may be literally the only person who's ever notice it, but it's there. That's not a teenager's hairline.
              Damn dude, you're putting your friend on blast on a hairloss website! That's pretty messed up!

Comment

• 35YrsAfter
                Doctor Representative
                • Aug 2012

Originally posted by clandestine
                Why do I keep seeing old people with perfect hair?
                Are they all on propecia or some shit? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.
                I used to work with a guy in his sixties who has a perfect black head of hair (hairpiece). I also worked with a 26 year old whose hair was/is thinning. He babied his hair and told me he would never shampoo, comb or brush is it. He runs water over it and styles it with a towel while blotting the water. One day he mentioned our sixty year old coworker. Apparently everyone else knew he wore a hairpiece. The hairpiece was a classic. Too perfect with unnatural density. You could not see simulated scalp at the part, just black unnaturally dense hair. So for a couple of years, the young guy didn't know the sixty year old wore a piece until someone told him. Perhaps the old guys just have more convincing hairpieces or a really good hair transplant.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
                forhair.com
                Cole Hair Transplant
                1070 Powers Place
                Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
                Phone 678-566-1011
                email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
                The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
                Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Comment

• Hicks
                  • Apr 2013

Originally posted by greatjob!
                  Damn dude, you're putting your friend on blast on a hairloss website! That's pretty messed up!
                  +1 poor friend I mean guy has no clue.

Comment

Working...