+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Until I noticed my own balding, I simply never gave it a second thought on other people.

Nor did I try to spot obvious comb forwards/overs and pieces.

Now I can't help myself. I don't obsess over it, but I certainly pay more attention to it.

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    The following table of hair loss-related stats seems to have a reliable source:

Here

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1045 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    I am not a doctor and the content of my posts are my opinions, not medical advice.
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck
    Yeah I have seen very conservative numbers like this before, but if you look at hair IRL it is VERY rare to see a white guy who is not visibly balding by 35. Some people do not think of it as balding, just "a bigger forehead" or "naturally thin hair w/ alot of scalp showing"
    A guy who has the same hair in his late 20s as he did at 20 is lucky, not the norm

Sometimes I will look around a room @ every guy's hair....usually the only ones you can look at & clearly say "he is not balding at all, he has 100% density & a NW1 hairline" are <25. After that age most guys have loss in the temples, hairline corners, diffuse thinning, crown thinning, or a combo of those. Sure it seems "normal" for a 30 year old to have no temple points, receded corners, etc. but it does not look good unfortunately

^^ Yes its true vast majority of guys over 30 can no longer pull off the same hairstyles as younger men with perfect hair due to this, even though they have no visible hairiloss to an untrained eye.

bald is a relative term depending on who making the observation.

I have had 2 different women at work say they were surprised to find i was older than (2 different guys). I asked why and they said because I was not bald like them.

Yet years ago a friend used to try to "push my buttons" and say I was in the beginning stages of mpb. My hairline had barely receded at that point yet she insisted it was coming.

Just depends on the person making the observation.

Quote Originally Posted by mpb47 View Post
    bald is a relative term depending on who making the observation.

I have had 2 different women at work say they were surprised to find i was older than (2 different guys). I asked why and they said because I was not bald like them.

Yet years ago a friend used to try to "push my buttons" and say I was in the beginning stages of mpb. My hairline had barely receded at that point yet she insisted it was coming.

Just depends on the person making the observation.
    I hope this friend of yours is a slick NW6 right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    I hope this friend of yours is a slick NW6 right now.
    Well she is a girl so she still has all her hair. She just wanted me to admit that I had mpb but I really wasn't so sure at the time. Because I had only lost a small amount of hair in my teens and it had stopped for a long time.

And to be fair..I gave her a hard time about her "problem" about being so top heavy. She was self conscious about getting so big up front.

Twenty-five years old seems to be the age where a good percent of males start showing signs of mpb. From what I've seen in real life and via social media about a third of the people in my age group have some level of thinning, from barely noticeable to almost slick bald.

Quote Originally Posted by NotBelievingIt View Post
    Until I noticed my own balding, I simply never gave it a second thought on other people.

Nor did I try to spot obvious comb forwards/overs and pieces.

Now I can't help myself. I don't obsess over it, but I certainly pay more attention to it.
    This. Never gave it a second thought.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by akai View Post
    From what I've seen in real life and via social media about a third of the people in my age group have some level of thinning, from barely noticeable to almost slick bald.
    This. Never gave it a second thought.
    I remember in my early twenties seeing a tall thin guy who was either in his late twenties or early thirties who had very white skin. He was slick bald on top. To make matters worse, his head had a a point and a sheen. At that time shaving was not an accepted style and this man grew his black hair on the sides to a medium length. In my early twenties, I knew I was destined for some advanced hair loss and seeing this guy gave me a sense of dread regarding what might be in store for me down the road. Now as I'm older, some hair loss feels normal yet I still don't care for the slick bald look, unless the head is the right shape and shaved all the way down.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Dan26 View Post
    ^^ Yes its true vast majority of guys over 30 can no longer pull off the same hairstyles as younger men with perfect hair due to this, even though they have no visible hairiloss to an untrained eye.
    This. I've always thought the 30% before 30 thing was bullshit. Sure, maybe only 30% have SIGNIFICANT hair loss, but I'm 31 now and at least half of my friends have at least SOME hair loss--the temples are pushing up a little bit, etc. etc. But this is stuff that no one but the most seasoned NW spotters would ever count as "balding."

Take, for example, this picture of a friend. He's 24. Good head of hair. BUT that's not a straight hairline. He has no idea he has some early recession, and I may be literally the only person who's ever notice it, but it's there. That's not a teenager's hairline.
    Attached Images

I find these stats and percentages about hairloss often greatly exaggerated.

With 'hairloss' magazines usually refer to 'some' hairloss/thinning or 'some' recession. Yet the amount of men (and women) actually experiencing 'baldness' is 5 to 10 times smaller. I know guys who had recession in their 20's or 30's, yet decennia later their hair remains unchanged (I doubt they're all on drugs) or the loss is so slow it only becomes a problem in their 50's.
    Or it's like those articles claiming 30 to 50 % of the women experience hairloss, yet 99 % of them will never have anything near a bald spot.