+ Reply to Thread

Default Diffuse or Drugs

Hey guys, been trolling this site for awhile and I figured i may as well come knocking for some information.

So my story,
    Started diffuse thinning at probably 18. Im not sure as to a specific time. The region of thinning at that time only included my crown. As I went off to college I began to have horrible intense itching in my crown and top of head, to the point that it was distracting from everyday life. The itching has progressed and unfortunately, so has the hair loss. At the moment, I am 20 years old and my hair loss continues (probably due to my lack of treatment.) Its currently very thin on the crown and the top of my head towards the back, and somewhat thin everywhere else.

Two things I find peculiar about my case,
    1. 0 history of balding on either side of the family. This closest relative i could find with any hairloss is my mothers uncle, who went bald at 45.
    2. I have 0 frontal recession. Like, none.

I have recently started shaving my head to 1/8 inch every three days because friends and family members began to comment on the lack of hair (touchy subject for any college kid)

I have decided to give propecia a try. I should mention that at the first sign of any serious sexual dysfunction, I am done taking it. Bottom line, I would rather be bald than completely impotent.
    (It would also be wonderful if the itchy scalp infliction would dissipate. )

So my questions,
    has any diffuse thinner had legitimate cosmetic success with propecia?
    has propecia at least ended the scalp itch for you guys?

Thanks for any help fellas

Quote Originally Posted by diffuseordie View Post
    At the moment, I am 20 years old and my hair loss continues (probably due to my lack of treatment.)
    Most likely. You haven't sought any sort of medical consultation?

Two things I find peculiar about my case,
    1. 0 history of balding on either side of the family. This closest relative i could find with any hairloss is my mothers uncle, who went bald at 45.
    2. I have 0 frontal recession. Like, none.
    Balding patterns vary from person to person. Even if yours is especially strange, I wouldn't get too hung up on it.

I also wouldn't invest too much thought into where you inherited it from. Instead I'd be more worried about confirming it's MPB and addressing it.

I have recently started shaving my head to 1/8 inch every three days because friends and family members began to comment on the lack of hair (touchy subject for any college kid)

I have decided to give propecia a try. I should mention that at the first sign of any serious sexual dysfunction, I am done taking it. Bottom line, I would rather be bald than completely impotent.
    (It would also be wonderful if the itchy scalp infliction would dissipate. )
    If you look decent with a shaved head, you'll always have that to fall back on. It'll make the decision to come off finasteride if you get sides just that much easier. Although let me caution you not to *look* for sides. Be considerate of your body but know it's easy to find "sides" when you're looking for them.

has any diffuse thinner had legitimate cosmetic success with propecia?
    has propecia at least ended the scalp itch for you guys?
    Sure. In fact, some say diffuse thinners responsd the best to finasteride. Finasteride ended my scalp itch almost completely. It does come in waves, particularly when I'm in stressful situations.

BigThinker did a fine job commenting on your post. Pay extra attention to his comments on propecia use and sides. It sounds like you are affected by your hair loss, don't let paranoia keep you from using one of the most effective treatments available. I would even consider staying away from this site for about a month after starting on propecia. I have been on the drug for 6 months now and sometimes listening to some of these anti fin comments will get me thinking about sides.