RepliCel Reports Progress on Shiseido Technology

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Illusion
    • Jul 2014

I honestly don't know what to think anymore... Some people are really optimistic about this, others are definitely not. What are the reasons for not being optimistic in this situation? Is it the lack of results/efficacy? Is it the amount of time it's going to take before this product is coming onto the market? Is it something else?

I am that guy that gets all hyped up whenever he sees that there is progress in developping a new treatment, doesn't matter how big or small. The interview Sascha posted is also pretty optimistic (obviously: it's an interview with the ceo). Right now I'm even speculating that there's going to be something very close to a permanent cure within 5 years with replicel.

Could someone help me out of this dream? I know it can't be true. Can it? What can we expect?

Comment

• Haircure
      • May 2014

Originally posted by Illusion
      I honestly don't know what to think anymore... Some people are really optimistic about this, others are definitely not. What are the reasons for not being optimistic in this situation? Is it the lack of results/efficacy? Is it the amount of time it's going to take before this product is coming onto the market? Is it something else?

I am that guy that gets all hyped up whenever he sees that there is progress in developping a new treatment, doesn't matter how big or small. The interview Sascha posted is also pretty optimistic (obviously: it's an interview with the ceo). Right now I'm even speculating that there's going to be something very close to a permanent cure within 5 years with replicel.

Could someone help me out of this dream? I know it can't be true. Can it? What can we expect?
      Right now the only thing one should worry about is the success rate of the treatment, because I believe on average there was a 10% improvement for those in the phase 2 trial but only like 64% responded. Also regarding if the results are permanent or if they require continuous treatment. Other than that it is looking pretty good in terms of progress, as Replicel clearly has the funds and resources. I doubt this or histogen is a cure for those with NW5-7 hairloss, but if one adds a few hair transplants in the mix, you may very well have a pretty good head of hair.

Comment

• Thinning@30
        • Mar 2010

The thing with Replicel is that we still don't really know what they are capable of. An improvement of 10% might be something for low norwoods, but for people with advanced hair loss it might not make much of a difference cosmetically. As far as I know, Replicel hasn't released any photos, and they haven't tested their treatment on slick bald areas of scalp. When Replicel initially released their phase I results, a lot of people here were very disappointed. They also pulled a shenanigan right before the results were released with a stock pump that got many people on this forum very upset.

That said they are one of a handful of companies that are doing clinical trials for hair loss treatments. That they're still around and that Shiseido saw something in them is promising.

Comment

• Illusion
          • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Haircure
          Right now the only thing one should worry about is the success rate of the treatment, because I believe on average there was a 10% improvement for those in the phase 2 trial but only like 64% responded. Also regarding if the results are permanent or if they require continuous treatment. Other than that it is looking pretty good in terms of progress, as Replicel clearly has the funds and resources. I doubt this or histogen is a cure for those with NW5-7 hairloss, but if one adds a few hair transplants in the mix, you may very well have a pretty good head of hair.
          Originally posted by Thinning@30
          The thing with Replicel is that we still don't really know what they are capable of. An improvement of 10% might be something for low norwoods, but for people with advanced hair loss it might not make much of a difference cosmetically. As far as I know, Replicel hasn't released any photos, and they haven't tested their treatment on slick bald areas of scalp. When Replicel initially released their phase I results, a lot of people here were very disappointed. They also pulled a shenanigan right before the results were released with a stock pump that got many people on this forum very upset.

That said they are one of a handful of companies that are doing clinical trials for hair loss treatments. That they're still around and that Shiseido saw something in them is promising.
          Thanks for the reality check guys. Always good to see posts like these to get a different perspective on the situation. It's funny because until yesterday I actually hadn't even read anything about the succes rate of replicel's first trial. I guess I just went along with the enthusiasm most of the posters gave off. But yeah, Shiseido seeing anything in them is promising indeed.

Comment

• KO1
            • Jan 2012

I think these guys are a joke. Intercytex and ARI already failed with the DP culture technology, and they think they can succeed just because they're using a different cell type? Yeah right. DP culture has proven to be very unreliable, I think ARI got like a 60% response, which is what they seem to be getting as well. What's worse is how overly promotional the CEO is, and these are the same guys who hired a firm to promote their stocks.....

Comment

• BrianH123
              • Dec 2014

So I am new to commenting but I have been viewing comments for a while. During the month of October I learned about Replicel and what they had to offer I believed after seeing they were taking actions in other countries for testing we may have results sooner than in USA. I haven't seen any new posts about this in particular, so I went and searched for them in google and their VP will be doing a presentation on new (I hope new) results. http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/...re/1162443.htm

Comment

• hellouser
                • May 2012

Originally posted by BrianH123
                So I am new to commenting but I have been viewing comments for a while. During the month of October I learned about Replicel and what they had to offer I believed after seeing they were taking actions in other countries for testing we may have results sooner than in USA. I haven't seen any new posts about this in particular, so I went and searched for them in google and their VP will be doing a presentation on new (I hope new) results. http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/...re/1162443.htm
                Don't expect anything new. David Hall does pretty much the same presentation everywhere he goes. Not that its bad, but... if youre here long enough like myself or others, eventually the presentations mean nothing to you.

Comment

• yagazooci
                  • Apr 2012

This is a response recently from replicel, on Facebook, speaking of commencement of trials… "We did have, as you may know, some manufacturing issues to resolve which slowed down our progression to the phase 2 trial considerably. This has now been resolved and we are ready, once again, to go full speed ahead with clinical development and testing. We are also pleased that Shiseido now has their manufacturing facility ready and has validated their ability to manufacture the product meaning they anticipate also being able to proceed shortly with their own trial in Japan concurrent with ours. While 2014 was a year of re-tooling, 2015 will be all about moving forward as quickly as possible on both clinical trials for RCH-01 for pattern baldness in addition to our other clinical trials."

Comment

• sdsurfin
                    • Sep 2013

I don't know what to think about replicel. I feel like all my hopes are pinned on it (I don't have an interest in rubbing a topical on my head everyday). What do you guys think? It's really heartbreaking to get these glimpses of possible hop to keep our hair and have nothing ever come around. I wish the researchers could be more open with us. Sometimes replycel talks like it can be a cure, but their results were crap. I'm sure they know better than us what the potential is, and I'm not totally sure why it's even being tested when the phase 1 was bad.

Comment

• efedrez
                      • May 2013

What keeps me optimistic is their partnership with Shiseido, I have a hard time believing the Japanese are going to spend 4M in agreements + build a new facility for something that is a dead end.

On the other hand Replicel is full of excuses to begin phase 2...I dont want to keep listening to this "will begin soon" statement and would like to know an actual date for once

Comment

• yagazooci
                        • Apr 2012

To me, the delays seem to have been necessary because, though nobody likes waiting, their first trial was with just 16 people. A few of them were disqualified inadvertently. Their serum for replication was inferior to what they have today; as they have switched from bovine to vegetable based serum. That process took a year to get right. Contrary to what some believe or like to think, Replicel was not asleep at the wheel, as it were. That was a "back to the drawing board" time for them, it seems. Fortunately, this new serum only takes some 5-6 weeks to replicate sufficient cell numbers whereas the bovine would take three months. Their first trial was about safety primarily, with a peek at efficacy. They didn't dose then necessarily to make hair grow. They injected huge amounts, exclusively, to ensure there were no adverse effects. Small wonder they didn't see a ton of efficacy. If you look at this next protocol in what amounts to a double (and concurrent )Phase 2, in Germany and Japan,they are using the more effective serum, testing different dosages, multiple dosages, exponentially more test subjects and data points etc.; all this times two. And they will learn from each other by collaborating. This, to me, is the true test of efficacy, not their phase 1. We have to wait and see. Their best work must be yet to come. The last thing anyone wants is to get it wrong… my view.

Comment

• brocktherock
                          • Dec 2013

Originally posted by sdsurfin
                          I don't know what to think about replicel. I feel like all my hopes are pinned on it (I don't have an interest in rubbing a topical on my head everyday). What do you guys think? It's really heartbreaking to get these glimpses of possible hop to keep our hair and have nothing ever come around. I wish the researchers could be more open with us. Sometimes replycel talks like it can be a cure, but their results were crap. I'm sure they know better than us what the potential is, and I'm not totally sure why it's even being tested when the phase 1 was bad.
                          What you were saying before about dosage had me double check myself but 20% in 6 months of the pilot is nothing to shake a stick at. Its pretty much guaranteed that there will be improvement upon that. If it is consistant growth instead of loss then that is huge. Then at the very least HT is a wise LONG term option. You have to admit we have never seen a huge company take charge of something like this, be eager to share details and say flat out this might be a CURE. If I had something that grew 20% or more consistently then I could get an HT and be happy, Im just worried about future loss.

Comment

• sdsurfin
                            • Sep 2013

That's understandable, but what I don't understand is this dosage issue. If they used an incredibly high dose in phase I, then why would we expect better results from a lower dose? These are cells they are injecting, so you would think the more the merrier. They keep harping on the multiple shots also, but they are only doing one additional shot at 90 days. Not that this might not make a difference, but still, I feel like people are hoping for a miracle to happen. I mean I would still use it if it simply kept my existing hair, but I doubt anyone is going to put it on the market if that's all it does. Thoughts? I also don't know what the holdup is, still no word of trials starting in either japan or germany. makes you wonder.

Comment

• yagazooci
                              • Apr 2012

I would imagine there are issues with depth of injection, distance between injections, logically anyway. I think that if this was easy, it would have been solved years ago. This company somehow stays afloat and true to their goals. I guess they are ensuring they are doing things correctly, in light of the demands of the competent authorites ( FDA types) too. There are probably advantages to running concurrent trials I'd say. I imagine it took some time for just the technology transfer to Shiseido; complicated beyond imagination likely. Early on, these guys spoke about injections which "awakened" existing dormant cells and forming new ones with the dosages as well. Their technology video explains that well. I think this will either work they way they believe it will or not work at all. Status quo for hair resultant hair counts is useless anyway. Thats what propecia etc. does. As for trial start times, they aren't waiting unnecessarily. seeing "shortly" on their Facebook site is encouraging. There's a lot to these things for sure with German and Japanese Competent Authorities to please. They have a ton of things in the queue too so they have to be crazy busy with Tendons, Skin aging, etc. on their plate. I think the hype on Tendons is because its much quicker to market. They will need money for future trials too. Bottom line it will be an interesting year for that company; shoot the moon or fold the tent… They seem pretty confident if that's any indication.

Comment

• Follisket
                                • Aug 2014

What I really don't understand is the regrowth percentage everyone keeps talking about. Does 10-30% regrowth, for instance, refer to 10-30% of an individual's bald area, 10-30% of a full head of hair or 10-30% of the maximum extent of MPB in humans?. Because obviously, that makes a hell of a difference.
                                I'd really appreciate it if anyone could share some light on that.

Comment

Working...