+ Reply to Thread

Default Potentially Developing Gynecomastia on Finasteride

Hi guys. I have been taking propecia for two months now (first month 0.5g, second month 1g). You can check my other thread for my story. But basically i noticed a bit of boob on myself in the mirror a few days ago and freaked out. I have had no other sides at all (libido is up if anything over the last month) and would obviously hate to have to stop taking propecia. At this stage the moobs are very slight.

The problem is i'm having a hard time identifying whether I definitely have gyno or not. I have definitely gained a bit of fat/weight since starting propecia, as my diet has been slacking recently (perhaps propecia is exacerbating the weight gain- not sure). I am currently just over 'average' weight into the 'overweight' category as far as BMI is concerned- so its not like i have moobs with a highly toned body. I am technically a bit overweight, and the rest of my stomach is slightly flabby, so I guess its not paticularly odd that i would develop a bit of moob. I would actually say that before propecia, my breast area was the least affected part of me when i gained fat. So my current weight/ body shape makes it hard to say whether propecia has simply made me gain my fat in the more womanly areas- which i have had anecdotal evidence from a friend that it does- or whether it is giving me actual gynecomastia and a swelling of the breast gland that wont go away with weight loss. Obviously the former is very manageable, and the latter very much isn't.

In terms of the symptoms, I sort of feel like they all apply to me but then they also don't properly. I have a lot of chest soreness- but it is predominantly in other areas around the breast, such as the inner chest and the area where the arms meet the body (above the armpit sort of). My breasts are actually the only area in my upper torso that isn't particularly sore at all. My nipples look completely normal (no puffiness) and don't itch at all. I would say I can sort of feel a lump behind the nipple- but apparently that doesnt really indicate anything. When i push hard on my nipple- i feel no pain beyond the obvious really. I should also point out that this chest soreness all began the day i noticed the moob- so definite potential for some psychological elements to be present.

So has anyone else started to develop gyno when taking fin? Do I sound like a classic beginning case? Or has someone perhaps had a false alarm as it turned out it was just weight gain? And if gyno is developed- does it necessarily mean that a full scale boob will develop? Or could the breast increase remain fairly mild?

Is there any way of combating such gyno whilst remaining on fin? The suggestions I have heard so far are to eat a load of broccoli, eat a load of tumeric, and take a tri weekly small dose of tamoxifen.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer any of these questions.

Tl,Dr: on fin for 2 months, might be developing gyno- need advice on detection & prevention (other than dropping fin)

At around 2 months I was really concerned I was getting gyno too. I remember feeling like my nipples were puffy and chest was itchy.

Anyways, I don't know what happened, but I haven't even thought about it for like 8 months and really I don't notice anything. I started working out a lot more to prevent it alongside other sides. I have no idea how successful that's been in preventing, but it's a positive change in my life regardless.

I'm not telling you to ignore what you suspect is gyno, but mine went away -- or at least I stopped thinking about it. I think if you stop worrying about it, you might find it was never really there.

Not sure if gyno pics are acceptable around here, but pics would help to see what you are describing.

I will try and post a couple of photos later today. I should also point out that when I said chest soreness- i predominantly meant when touched. If I am just sitting there, I don't really feel much other than a very vague ache.

But the more I think about this- I think its pretty clear that I do have it. I mean my breasts are slightly sore and have started to look like actual breasts... Pretty much sounds like it definitely is some form of gyno, even if it is mild. I guess the thing i am more concerned about is whether that means that I will have full blown tits, even if i lost a load of weight, or whether it just means I will carry fat there far easier. I have heard some guys talk about having a case of 'mild gyno' on fin that didnt really bother them. The problem is I don't really understand gyno at all. But it seems a pretty stupid risk to take on my part to assume that it wont turn full blown.

Quote Originally Posted by DuckingAngels View Post
    I will try and post a couple of photos later today. I should also point out that when I said chest soreness- i predominantly meant when touched. If I am just sitting there, I don't really feel much other than a very vague ache.

But the more I think about this- I think its pretty clear that I do have it. I mean my breasts are slightly sore and have started to look like actual breasts... Pretty much sounds like it definitely is some form of gyno, even if it is mild. I guess the thing i am more concerned about is whether that means that I will have full blown tits, even if i lost a load of weight, or whether it just means I will carry fat there far easier. I have heard some guys talk about having a case of 'mild gyno' on fin that didnt really bother them. The problem is I don't really understand gyno at all. But it seems a pretty stupid risk to take on my part to assume that it wont turn full blown.
    Any update on ur gyno? I'm in a similar situation

Hey guys, any updates?? I have the same exact feeling with noticeable growth and tenderness

Hey mate,

I'd not actually visited this forum in years - only noticed this because I got an email alert.

I've been taking Propecia consistently for 7 years or so now. Overall it's definitely been a decision I'm pleased i've made - and would do it again with the benefit of hindsight. The best aspect of it is that i've not really had to think about my hairloss much at all - it was so draining before and that's been very liberating.

It's hard to know what you hair would look like if you hadn't take propecia - but considering my family history at my age (29) - I've done well to stabilise at an NW2 (with slight thinning.) It's still pretty easy to style in a way that makes it look good.

Regarding gyno - I've concluded that propecia definitely has made me carry more fat in the moob area. I got in the best shape of my life last year and still carried some extra weight in the chest despite losing it all elsewhere. But having said that - it does still respond to exercise somewhat, so I have an element of control over it. I would say it perhaps seems to get very gradually worse each year (the baseline level of stubborn fat in that area perhaps increases ever so slightly) but it's hard to say for sure.

Overall, while I definitely consider it an annoying side effect - the trade off with having a full head of hair has been definitely worth it for me.

Hi mate,

As you said, you don't come on this much anymore so i'm unsure if you'll even see this. Thats my goal by the way, to leave these forums behind once my hair stabilizes.

How long did it take for the tenderness in your breast to subside? Im going through it abit at the moment but i really dont want to come off of finasteride as its the only thing thats giving me hope at the moment. Im probably at NW1.5ish right now with average density but its definitely thinning so id love just to maintain!