+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Is Dutasteride overkill

I have only recently started to take finasteride 1mg over the past month. However, I have been reading that dutasteride has a better effect in combating DHT, something to the tune of 90%+. However, it seems to have more serious side effects than propecia. How common would these side effects be and would I be right in getting a medical test done before even thinking about going on something like dutasteride? I am fearful of some of the potential consequences, however if it is more effective at blocking DHT than propecia, I really don't see the point in taking it as opposed to dutasteride. Any help appreciated.

If I could do over I would start on dut instead of fin. It is not overkill. The most androgen sensitive hairs (for most people these are in the temples, hairline, crown) are VERY hard to protect long term

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    If I could do over I would start on dut instead of fin. It is not overkill. The most androgen sensitive hairs (for most people these are in the temples, hairline, crown) are VERY hard to protect long term
    I see. Would it be true that dut protects at least 90% of hairs?

Also, are you on dut and what are your experiences so far?

The rule of thumb with any medication is to take only enough to get the desired effect. Anything above that is overkill.

If propecia is enough why go to dut?

You won't know unless you try propecia first.

Quote Originally Posted by Dav7 View Post
    I see. Would it be true that dut protects at least 90% of hairs?

Also, are you on dut and what are your experiences so far?
    Everyone will respond differently so there is no fixed % of protected hairs. I have been on dut around 10 months but was on fin for 2+ years before that. Unfortunately I have experienced what others say they have experienced when they switch (or just add dut to fin which is what I did)....a noticeable shed. This is a major reason why I wish I just started w/ dut instead of switching later. The reports I read of guys who just start on dut seem pretty positive, while many guys who get good results on fin & then switch report a major shed

Right now I take 1.25 mg fin every day, 1 mg dut every day. I do not notice any sides at this time
    Good luck w/e you decide. But the answer to your original Q is still no....some people act like dut is some kind of monster drug but it is honestly nothing

Plenty of guys use fin and that's enough for them.

You just need to see how you will respond, also there is less research on the effects long term of dut for just hairloss purposes.

Also it depends a lot on where and when you started treating your hairloss.

Everyone responds differently, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    Everyone will respond differently so there is no fixed % of protected hairs. I have been on dut around 10 months but was on fin for 2+ years before that. Unfortunately I have experienced what others say they have experienced when they switch (or just add dut to fin which is what I did)....a noticeable shed. This is a major reason why I wish I just started w/ dut instead of switching later. The reports I read of guys who just start on dut seem pretty positive, while many guys who get good results on fin & then switch report a major shed

Right now I take 1.25 mg fin every day, 1 mg dut every day. I do not notice any sides at this time
    Good luck w/e you decide. But the answer to your original Q is still no....some people act like dut is some kind of monster drug but it is honestly nothing
    But the shed grows back, right? I mean, that should be a good sign. I'm on fin and just started Avodart last week.

at the FIRST sings of hairloss hopping on fin is best...If you wait to long though you're better off on dut

Damn, fin and dut everyday. You are taking this fight very seriously. If I ever decide to try dut, I will most likely just take dut instead of fin once or twice a week.

Blood tests are key.

Fin is useless if you are on dut MOST of the time. There are cases where some respond to one drug and not the other for genetic reasons, it's wierd :S