+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Anyone ever try a partial hair piece for the temples? Take a look at my hairline!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/111350685@N04/11359138674/

(Click photo link above)

I hear Toplace or Cool Piece can make some partial temple hair pieces. Could I order a partial hairpiece for the temples without having to shave the remaining part on the front of my scalp? Anyone have any luck with that, does it blend in/look real and undetectable.

I just hope to get 4-6 months out of it, incase my hair recedes further.

I can cover the crown with Toppik, so the temples are the big issue at the moment and I especially feel very uncomfortable with my receding when around younger people in their mid 20's (my age) and I'm the only or one of the few guys there significantly losing his hair.

Suggestions?

I've never heard of a hair piece that partial covers a certain region of hair. Sounds like it would be hard to pull off, I mean you would literally have to get strands of hair that have the EXACT same texture, colour, thickness, etc of your own hair, which is really hard to do (especially if ordering online).

Your hair doesn't look that bad man. Maybe try styling your fringe up? You got good coverage for the most part.

Thanks, just very self conscious about the temple recession, especially because it happened so suddenly. Can't tilt my head when I'm around people and especially around girls that I like, because I always fear they will notice it and be thrown off (which has been the case several times). Not all chicks will care but definitely most in their 20's from my experience. This has been the case on many of the dates I've been on and just with girls I meet in general. I just feel like I'm way too young for it to be happening already compared to most guys my age.

Just would be incredibly helpful if I could fill those temples in somehow, without going under the knife.

Ya know?

I wouldn't go down the hairpiece road if I were you-- you would just be trading one set of concerns and problems for another.

As a typical young man, you seem to be concerned about going out, meeting and dating girls, getting laid, going out with friends and worrying about comments (i.e. balding jokes), etc.

Wearing a hairpiece, partial or otherwise, is NOT going to help you with any of the above.

Additionally, to wear a hairpiece you would have to shave the front part of your head in a ring around the sides to wear the piece.

From the images, your balding pattern looks pretty clear-- you have a bald spot opening up on your crown and are receding pretty good at the temples. You have the typical "island" at the front of your forehead that still looks strong (which will probably stay that way for some years to come, long after you lose everything behind it).

In my opinion you are also not ready for a transplant-- you have too much hair and are too young. It seems clear that you are going to lose everything behind the "island" in front in a "U" shaped track, following the hairline just above your ears.

A transplant now would mean rebuilding the frontal 1/3 of your hair around the still strong core of the "island" at the front. However, that island core will probably wither over time and you'll have to have more work done. Plus you have to consider existing hair that you have in that frontal 1/3 will be sacrificed due to shock loss and other factors associated with the surgery.

Propecia may be an option to keep what you have on top and crown, but it will most likely not help you with your temples. It's also long term, and there may be side effects. As a young man concerned with getting laid, I'd consider carefully playing with my bodies basic chemistry through long term drug treatment-- but that's just me. Another concern is that you might shed more hair than ultimately comes in on the drug-- ending up with accelerated hair loss. (it happens).

So-- transplant is out at the current time, a hairpiece is just out of the question, Propecia is an option but one that should be considered carefully

Another two options (perhaps combined with a drug routine of Propecia) are: 1). shaved head look. or 2). possibly going with a SMP (Scalp Micro Pigmentation) procedure.

The SMP procedure would seem to me your best bet for a person in your current position. It could fill in the temples, it's immediate, it's not permanent, it doesn't leave scars, and if you can pull off the shaved down look might be the bridge solution you're looking for-- perhaps for the next 5 to 10 years.

This is just my opinion. You will have to do your own research and investigation and educate yourself on the options and risks. Then make your own (informed) decision.

Hal

What you could try, is doing a piece that replaces the frontal island.

In the video below, a guy shows the removal of the piece. You can see how good it is before, and as he removes it you can see how it is attached.

This guy has incredible results!

Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zefb20C9jJE

One of the best hair system videos I've seen, looks undetectable.
    I think he has also used some normal hair products, like hair gel for the wet look hair. This is probably just an additional styling choice, I imagine it probably also helps with the blend of actual hair to piece hair.

But really this is quite amazing, I don't think anyone would be able to tell.

Couldn't have asked for a better response, thanks Hal.
    Unfortunately, I already shaved my head over the summer to experiment with the look. To keep things simple the shaved head look does not work with me like some people.
    I already went for a HT consultation last January and the Dr. said I was too young and prescribed me Rogaine and Propecia which I had to stop after 4 months due to severe side effects. (Severe Shedding, decreased libido, chest pains.

So hopefully you can understand after my experiences this past year, why I am so adamant about making the hair piece work. I really do feel at this stage, its the only solution remaining that could make a difference even though its certainly not ideal.

Thats amazing James, nice find with that video. Any idea who makes that piece? If I could find a system like that, I would have already ordered mine.

Thanks man!

Will look into SMP, thanks Hal.

Hi Jrw651

Sorry to hear about your prescribed meds troubles, well at least you know where you are going with it all now, to find your solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrw651 View Post
    Thats amazing James, nice find with that video. Any idea who makes that piece? If I could find a system like that, I would have already ordered mine.

Thanks man!
    Glad to help Your situation reminded me of the video.

Yes that partial system is a northwest lace piece.

Also I think the guy in the video is younger than you, in his early 20's.
    I know some people can be ultra critical about hair in your 20's, I've experienced that myself.
    This guy seems to have made it work, so it's a particularly inspiring video

I'd expect for new hair system users, it probably takes some time to find the exact piece and routine that works best for you.

You can see the video when you click on the northwest website forum button. Makes me think it must also impress the business owner
    He's certainly worked some magic with it

SMP is a ****ing joke unless you want to rock that ridiculous 2d hair your whole life, if you want actual hair and cant take meds, i think hairpiece is the way to go,
    timing is everything, - get on it before balding is too bad because then people will talk

Oh and transplants are also useless- not only do they not provide your desired density if you cannot take meds you will be visiting transplants drs for touchups for the better part of your life