18 year old with possibly a receding hairline

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aqse3333
    • Dec 2013

I cut one of the hairs near the scalp and one further back in my forelock and I can't really see much difference but one wierd thing is under my fringe the hair is lighter then my hair everywhere else :\

Comment

• Notcoolanymore
      • Jun 2013

If you are unsure if you are losing hair, then see your doctor. Being in denial can be a huge waste of time. You don't want to waste time in the fight against hair loss.

Saw palmetto or supplements with saw palmetto in them wont do crap for your hair.

Comment

• Aqse3333
        • Dec 2013

Thanks for the advice but surely saw p is worth trying before fin, I have nothing to lose

Comment

• 25 going on 65
          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Aqse3333
          I have nothing to lose
          Hair
          Saw palmetto will not work unfortunately

Comment

• Aqse3333
            • Dec 2013

Hmm that sucks it seemed a good idea to try it to see if I get any results before trying fin as a last resort, most if the sides don't worry me but I've read it can cause high grade prostate cancer and male breast cancer is that true?

Comment

• 25 going on 65
              • Sep 2010

Hmm that sucks it seemed a good idea to try it to see if I get any results before trying fin as a last resort, most if the sides don't worry me but I've read it can cause high grade prostate cancer and male breast cancer is that true?
              Breast cancer no....gyno for a small %

I think 1 study found a minor correlation w/ high grade prostate cancer. But no conclusive evidence yet. Some theorize the shrinkage of the prostate (which fin causes) just makes the tumors easier to detect
              Your risk of prostate cancer actually decreases on fin in general

Comment

• redy
                • Jun 2013

hey man, if your hair is lighter in the front, progressively, from experience that's when mine started going.

all my life the front hair and the edges of the hairline would get bleached in the summer, and this year when that happened, it really made obvious how thin they had become, then they started falling like flies.

lighter hair has a tendency to start loss this way, lighter and lighter then gone. You don't notice it as much because it's all just light colored anyway, but with black hair you will notice it sooner.

Comment

• Aqse3333
                  • Dec 2013

That's slightly worrying, but I don't shed that much, when I wash and shampoo my hair mabye 1-4 I can't see any on my pillow unless I look closely maybe 1-3 but when I blow dry my hair a few more 1-8 this isn't all the time and mabye they're hairs damaged from blow drying I'm hopfull it stays like this

Comment

• greatjob!
                    • Aug 2011

It doesn't cause cause high grade prostate cancer but it can mask its presence. Finasteride can artificially lower you PSA levels, which is what doctors look at for signs of prostate cancer, so unless you know this and develop a plan of action with your doctor, such as monitoring your PSA levels from baseline and having a biopsy performed at the first sign of an increase in your PSA levels, you may not be aware of prostate cancer and allow it to progress into high grade cancer.

Here is a good link from Johns Hopkins that describes how fin masks your PSA numbers and what to do if you are on fin:
                    Johns Hopkins - Brady Urological Institute- Prostate Cancer Discovery

(mods I hope you will allow the link to stay since it is educational in nature)

Comment

• greatjob!
                      • Aug 2011

Whoops here's the link:

Comment

• Aqse3333
                        • Dec 2013

Thanks for the information but I still don't know if I am actually receding yet, I will probably put some better pictures up later or tomorrow

Comment

Working...