+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scalp Peels

Default Scalp Peels

So today, I completed my first salicylic acid peel on my scalp. The plan is to do a series of peels (once a week for a month), then start a minoxidil regimen w/dermarolling once a week, LLLT 3X a week, etc.

Has anyone heard of people having success with scalp peels? I am 29 with diffuse thinning, and hundreds of visible vellus hairs and even more with a microscope. I'm hoping these can come back!!!

What is the theory on why this would work?
    About your vellus hairs. If you want them to go terminal again you will need finasteride at minimum; minox should help too. Also start 2% keto shampoo

I read an e-book from a website ************* as I am no expert. Here is what he has to say about the peels:

1. Removing DHT from the scalp
    'DHT' is the most significant cause of hair loss. By removing several layers of skin and built-up oil we are also removing DHT from the scalp. DHT is present in sebum. Sebum builds up in the scalps pores. We need to remove several top layers of skin to remove as much DHT as possible.

2. Increasing blood circulation in the scalp
    Because we are mildly damaging the scalp using the acid we are provoking the body to react by increasing blood circulation at the surface of the scalp. By increasing blood circulation at the surface of the scalp we are also increasing the supply of nutrients to
    the hair, providing the hair with the building blocks it needs to grow. The increased blood flow will also help remove DHT from the scalp. As you progress through the book you will see how we reduce DHT levels in the blood. Once we have reduced the blood DHT levels, the blood flowing through the scalp will collect and remove DHT rather than depositing it.

3. Increasing cell production and growth
    The mild damage to the scalp triggers the body to concentrate healing in the scalp, which triggers an increase in cell production and hair growth. As you progress through the book you’ll see how we use this technique of mildly damaging the scalp using the Alternation Method to encourage increased cell production and nutrient allocation to the hair.

I was on propecia for a year in my mid-20s and all I got were some decreased libido and horrible, weak erections. I'm probably going to stay away from the stuff.

I started Nizoral last week, and minoxidil is on it's way via Amazon. I'm also going to do 6 months of systemic niacin and n-acetyl carnitine (recommended by the ebook to reactivate dormant follicles).

Wish RepliCel or Aderens would come out with their hair-follicle-stem-cell treatment.

No I haven't heard of this technique to fight hair loss. How do you even do this? Do you buy some product or have to go to a facility to get this done? Not to say that this won't work, but here is my problem with it. Let's suppose this technique works, I would assume that this peel will continuously need to be done in order to continue to grow hair/fight loss. I am also assuming that in order to do the peels your head has to be shaved. If the peels need to be done on a regular basis, then you will walking around with a shaved head most of the time. Having to shave your hair in order to grow it seem counter productive.

I don't know. Maybe I need more info, but it if I had to take a guess, I would say don't even bother with the peels.

It's just easier if you have a buzzed/shaved head (as I do). If you have long hair you are able to do it, but you should apply some coconut oil to the actual shaft of the hair to protect it.

By no means use these instructions (please look up how to do scalp peels on your own) but in general, use a pipette, 40-50 drops on the head, wear medical gloves and rub in, wait 10 minutes, rinse out, etc. He recommends doing 1 per week for 3-4 weeks, then brushing with a boars hair brush daily (starting 2 days after the peel for regular exfoliation). There is no mention of having to do continued applications, but I certainly agree with you. Maybe I will continue to do a monthly peel for maintenance.

And I just bought 20% salicylic acid from Amazon. There are all kinds of peels, TCA, glycolyic, etc., but he recommended salicylic - so that's why I got it!

reminds me of dermaroling stupid thing. guys think before you say something

Be very careful not to scar your scalp. I'd be erring on the side of caution.