+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 37 - Just Went To Dermatologist

I just turned 37 this month and noticed some slight thinning in my temple area. I went to the dermatologist last month and he did the pull test, and then he said I had the beginnings of Male Pattern Baldness. I asked how long, he said don't worry, it could take up to 15-20 years. The problem is, quite frankly, ever since he said that, I've been obsessing. He didn't do a follicle test or anything.

Here's the thing: I'm wondering if I should check my thyroid. If I pull/rub my eyebrows a couple of hairs come out, and the same thing happens if I rub my head real hard for like 30 seconds. I'm not in denial, I just want to make sure I've covered all my bases.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0063.jpg

Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	24354  
    Attached Images  

I am 37 and would kill for hair like yours. Usually I would just recommend going on fin to keep what you have, but your hair looks pretty damn good for 37. Yeah you could have all those test done, but the couple of hairs you are losing seems pretty normal to me. If you are paranoid about losing your hair, jump on fin.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    I am 37 and would kill for hair like yours. Usually I would just recommend going on fin to keep what you have, but your hair looks pretty damn good for 37. Yeah you could have all those test done, but the couple of hairs you are losing seems pretty normal to me. If you are paranoid about losing your hair, jump on fin.
    Thanks. I plan on monitoring it for the next six months. Does hair loss occur in a rapid fashion or gradually? Or both?

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    I'm 25 and I'd kill a small village for that hair.

I'm 24 and... Well you get it, you're lucky and your dermatologist is right, at that age, it will take a long time before anyone notices anything.

I can't remember my hair ever being that thick since I was maybe 13 years old?
    You have no thinning and almost no recession. If your dermatologist really has done tests and diagnosed you I suppose he is right. But I wouldn't bother with it. It's not gonna become a problem before you're like 60 with grey hair and full of wrinkles.

I know people on this forum are very hasty with advising people to take meds, but tbh I really wouldn't really risk the sides at this point if I were you. Take a picture, keep a eye on it, and evaluate your hairloss in a year or half from now. Make your decision then.

The speed of hair loss varies from person to person. With me my temples were gone within 2 or 3 years, the rest was gradual over the next 15 years. Your plan of monitoring and comparing in 6 months is a good idea. No need to jump on meds of you really don't need to.

...and bigthinkers comment made me lol.

Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it.

This has made me somewhat obsessive: looking in the shower drain, checking my pillow, my work desk, seeing how many I can pull out if I pull hard on my hair, wondering if I'm losing hair or just obsessing. I found two hairs on my desk and went nuts today. This really isn't healthy behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by James1313 View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it.

This has made me somewhat obsessive: looking in the shower drain, checking my pillow, my work desk, seeing how many I can pull out if I pull hard on my hair, wondering if I'm losing hair or just obsessing. I found two hairs on my desk and went nuts today. This really isn't healthy behavior.
    No, stop doing that. I did that shit for like a year and the anxiety permeated every facet of my life.

The options for treatment are limited; learn about them and decide if you feel comfortable. Furthermore, you're in a very, very good position for someone your age.

Ditch the obsession. It's not worth it. Promise.

Very few men keep a perfectly straight hairline into old age. Next time you're out, look at men in their 50's and you'll see about 1 in 10 actually have a perfect hairline. Even those with a "full head of hair" often have some mild recession in their hairline. Look at George W Bush as an example. No one would say he is "balding" but that is not ther hairline he had when he was 20.

Having said that, if it bothers you to such a great extent, get on treatments. They work well. Lucky for you, it's unlikely that you will experience very aggressive MPB given that you are already 37 years old.