+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by fred970 View Post
    You tried to play smart with me, you lost.

Now pictures to prove your claims or your little story doesn't mean anything.
    I didn't realize we were competing. If there is award for most bitter bald guy, then you definitely win. As I said, stay on your treatments and consider adding something to your regimen that will improve your rotten disposition.

You tried to play smart with me, you lost.

Now pictures to prove your claims or your little story doesn't mean anything.
    Dude what are trying to prove? Minox can cause aging, that is a scientific fact. Look at the studies I posted above, there are dozens more. I'm not sure what you think you "won"

Stop derailing the thread guys. As I mentioned, I have some (what I consider) legitimate concerns, and if some of you are firm believers in the drug, what can you say to allay them? Let me delineate them clearly:
    -Minoxidil's cost, I hear more people recommend the foam (why?), how much a month are we talking per month? Is the rogaine foam any better or worse than off brand, why?
    -Efficacy. I know it works better in conjunction with other treatments, and I know that even then some guys report minimal gains with it, while others consider it a near miracle drug, does anyone have any clues as to why this is? I am still pretty firmly against adding propecia to my regiment, though I am aware the vast majority of men are just fine, chance of sexual dysfunction over 1% is too high for me. I am considering RU but that also seems like a big hassle.
    -Hassle of using. It's an 8 hour a day commitment, I've heard you can do one of the applications before bed, but seems like it increases the risks of sides (unless you're careful about application?), due to the drug getting on bedding. Has it bothered your significant other at all? How much time does it take out of your day? Does the foam or liquid negatively impact the texture or look of your hair daily (and if so, are they different?)
    -Sides. Irritation, dandruff, random sheds (after initial), skin aging, maybe even some blood pressure/heart issues. Have you experienced any of these, and were they minor or major enough to impact your decision to use it?
    -Loss after stopping treatment. The fact that it's basically a life long commitment, how long have you been using it, have you ever stopped? Why? Did you restart, why?

Fred, you say it's a no brainer but I think I'm voicing legitimate concerns that haven't been adequately addressed.

You should get a custom 5% solution at your local pharmacy. That's what I've always done and maybe that's why I had a good experience with it. All those US online foam rogaine or whatever, I would never trust any of that.

It costs me 10€ a month now, because I dropped to 1 application a day before bed. It's not even like brushing my teeth, I do it at my desk while watching a movie for example. Not a hassle at all.

No sides at all for me. You don't stop, why would you stop? It's not life long commitment, at a point, it will be useless, but it would at least have allowed me to keep my hair longer, possibly 5 more years with some hair and a light frame for my face. When the shaved look suits you, this is priceless.

F*ck. I am very on the fence about minox as well. It seems the skin problems are not likely but still a possibility. Bad skin is a worse side effect than reduced libido, gyno, infertility, etc
    However my hair has been rocked this year & when minox works it seems like it shows results in 4-6 months or less. That is pretty fast for a hair loss treatment

Yes, dark circles under eyes and senile spots on the part of the scalp where I apply minoxidil. These side effects happen when I overdose on minoxidil. When I apply the amount that is directed, the side effects go away.

No wonder Spencer said the show had run its course. Some many sufferers just don't deserve to be helped.

No wonder Spencer said the show had run its course. Some many sufferers just don't deserve to be helped.
    What are you talking about? These are all sides that are well known.

It is a legitimate thread. Does not matter if it is allergic reaction, decreased collagen, etc....there are too many anecdotes of skin issues on minox for me to ignore & I need to srsly consider this before I start the medication
    We are on BTT because appearance is crucial. The sides from hair meds that really scare me are all cosmetic....skin problems, gyno, accelerated shed, etc

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    It is a legitimate thread. Does not matter if it is allergic reaction, decreased collagen, etc....there are too many anecdotes of skin issues on minox for me to ignore & I need to srsly consider this before I start the medication
    We are on BTT because appearance is crucial. The sides from hair meds that really scare me are all cosmetic....skin problems, gyno, accelerated shed, etc
    Don't let what I said scare you away. Try it, beware of the potential to cause some aging, and if it really becomes an issue stop using it. It's not going to cause permanent changes. However, my personal opinion is that it's not really a great treatment for hair loss, unless perhaps you just have a bit of thinning in the crown you want to address (which is what it was meant to be used for really). It doesn't address the root problem of hair loss as propecia does, it does cause a LOT of shedding when you start it and when you stop it, and it is a little messy. Also, a recent study showed it only works for like 38% of users anyway. If you can tolerate propecia, I would just stick with that.