+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

You believe it did that to you. Ageing is not a reversible process.

Thanks everyone for your replies

Quote Originally Posted by ryan555 View Post
    I was on minox from a very young age and never even had a clue that it could age skin. Of course my face aged, but everyone's does as you move from your early 20s into your 30s. However, since I have stopped over 3 years ago, my face has made some rather dramatic changes in a youthful direction. Specifically, I had very dark circles under my eyes that vanished, and also really deep creases along the sides of my mouth that are no longer there. My skin was also quite pasty, and it is now much brighter, smoother, and more toned. If you look as pictures from me now in my mid 30s vs how I looked in my mid 20s, I look quite dramatically younger and healthier now. So I would say for me, it absolutely did age my face and quite dramatically so. Fortunately, it did seem to reverse once I stopped.
    Can you think of other life changes that might have played a role? Diet, hydration, sleep, skin products, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by fred970 View Post
    Well there are symptoms of aging that can be reversed, eg tretinoin can remove lines & reduce dark circles. Plus lifestyle habits can make you look older/younger from month to month like sleep deprivation or weight gain/loss
    This is why I am curious if ryan made any other changes that might make his skin quality change

Dark eye circles and pasty skin are not a normal part of ageing. I looked sickly back then, not just older. Believe whatever you want, Fred. If you don't want to know the answer then don't ask the question. By the way, I am one of the guys always telling people to calm down about the propecia hysteria and stay on their treatments. I'm not here to discourage anyone, quite the contrary. But minox did have an effect on my face, one which I was unaware of until I stopped it (for completely unrelated reasons) and my face changed.

You were allergic, and you stuck with it anyway. It's the only reasonable explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    Thanks everyone for your replies

Can you think of other life changes that might have played a role? Diet, hydration, sleep, skin products, etc?
    None at all. In fact, I stopped it because I have a neurological disease and wanted to go off all medications. By all accounts, I should have aged rapidly given what I have been through physically since I stopped it, but that is not the case. I also stopped propecia a few months prior so that could have something to do with it, but I find that unlikely since nothing changed until after I stopped minox.

Listen, if you guys have what you think is normal aging in your face, then don't worry about it. I had actually been using eye creams for the dark circles and considering having filler injected for the deep mouth creases I had while I was on it, not ever connecting it to minox. I didn't look well. If you look healthy and normal, then don't worry about it. What it did to me was not typical "aging." You'll know the difference if you see it.

You were allergic, and you stuck with it anyway. It's the only reasonable explanation.
    I wasn't allergic. I tolerated it quite well, which is why i never suspected it was causing what i described. Why are you so dead set on being right here? I am far from being the only person to claim it had an effect on their skin. And why would it be so shocking that a drug that was so ridden with dangerous side effects that it is no longer prescribed orally could be mixed with alcohol and propylene glycol and could cause some side effects when slathered on one's head, directly above their face?

PS, nothing makes you look older than a bald head, so if you're worried about look old, don't stop your meds.

Quote Originally Posted by greatjob! View Post
    Minoxidil has been found to inhibit gene expression of the enzyme lysyl hydroxylase which is involved in the production of collagen, so it can increase wrinkles and skin aging.
    http://www.jbc.org/content/262/25/11973.short

http://www.nature.com/jid/journal/v9.../5611848a.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ct&holding=npg

I could post about 20 more.

I've been on the fence about minox. Currently only dermarolling and keto shampoo, between costs, both time and money, keeping it in your hair basically all day, every day, the decades of commitment or you lose all your gains, random sheds people report every once in a while, and some people's reported side effects, it hasn't sounded too worth it so far.

I'm waiting a few more months on my current treatment to see if much change, is where my head is at.